[SOLVED] Autopilot Bug

AtomicFrawg

I feel bad for finding ways of breaking the Saab, but I did find a bug.

I was running through the tutorial and everything was set (nav info checked)  And was a go for takeoff & climbout.

The autopilot mode selector panel was at the default HDG and VS lights on. At 500ft agl engaged autopilot and then selected the climb and nav buttons.

Now this is where the bug appeared.

The Climb and Nav light came on, the VS light turn off and the HDG light stayed on. It would only follow the HDG bug and not engage NAV mode even though the NAV mode light was on. 

On the EADI, it displayed LOC1 and HDG at the same time.

All freqs and settings were set as shown in the tutorial. I tried resetting the autopilot. I pushed the Nav button again and it turned off, the HDG button was still on. I pushed the HDG button and it stayed on no matter how many times I clicked it. I tried it with the autopilot on and off.

I will try and recreate the bug again tonight to see if it was just a one time deal. I will also try and get it on video.

Also, I think there is a memory leak. While flight last night from KLFT to KNEW I noticed everything getting extremely sluggish. I pulled up task manager and it show 15gigs of the 16gig of memory being used. I never had this happen with any other airplane. If I can recreate it again, I'll check further and find which program is doing it. 

My OS is Windows 7 64bit 16 gigs ram i7 3770k OCed 4.8ghz and twin gtx660s

Again, I see you guys are actively looking into all posted issues and are fixing them super fast. This is an example of great customer support and the reason I will keep buying and flying your products.

Again Big thumbs up to you guys! :D  

The Climb and Nav light came on, the VS light turn off and the HDG light stayed on. It would only follow the HDG bug and not engage NAV mode even though the NAV mode light was on. 

On the EADI, it displayed LOC1 and HDG at the same time.

All freqs and settings were set as shown in the tutorial. I tried resetting the autopilot. I pushed the Nav button again and it turned off, the HDG button was still on. I pushed the HDG button and it stayed on no matter how many times I clicked it. I tried it with the autopilot on and off.

Just a wild shot here, but it does sound like you ARMED the NAV mode (nav in white) but it never captured (i.e. never close enough to the VOR-Radial you are trying to track). In this case the autopilot (and flight-director) will stay in HDG mode and follow the heading bug, until the autoflight computer "feels" that its getting close enough to the radial to intercept it. Only at that point NAV will turn green, and HDG will turn off.

If you are in HDG mode, you can not deselect it, because what would the autopilot/flight-director do then? It has no other mode to revert to. Thats why pushing the HDG button does nothing if you are already in heading mode.

Jan

Just a wild shot here, but it does sound like you ARMED the NAV mode (nav in white) but it never captured (i.e. never close enough to the VOR-Radial you are trying to track). In this case the autopilot (and flight-director) will stay in HDG mode and follow the heading bug, until the autoflight computer "feels" that its getting close enough to the radial to intercept it. Only at that point NAV will turn green, and HDG will turn off.

If you are in HDG mode, you can not deselect it, because what would the autopilot/flight-director do then? It has no other mode to revert to. Thats why pushing the HDG button does nothing if you are already in heading mode.

Jan

I thought that also, but in the tutorial you pickup the 1st VOR off the runway. I also verified freqs and that the Nav s L was selected. The EHSI was also checked showing the VOR1 pointer and center line was lined up. 

Now this is where the bug appeared.

I'm not so convinced there's any bug here. Please verify the COLOR of the lights that came on.

This is correct behavior.

I will try and recreate the bug again tonight to see if it was just a one time deal. I will also try and get it on video.

If it's just a one time deal it's generally not a bug. ;)

Also, I think there is a memory leak.

It would be REALLY unlikely for this. Since the Saab is programmed in the Gizmo API, it utilizes that plugin, which has been shipping to customers for MONTHS across many products now. This likely would have came about much sooner than now, especially during our beta period. That said, do let us know what you find.

I'm not so convinced there's any bug here. Please verify the COLOR of the lights that came on.

Hi Cameron,

The color was the yellow dot, as in the photos of the tutorial.

It would be REALLY unlikely for this. Since the Saab is programmed in the Gizmo API, it utilizes that plugin, which has been shipping to customers for MONTHS across many products now. This likely would have came about much sooner than now, especially during our beta period. That said, do let us know what you find.

I know, that what is odd as I have Gizmo with the Corvalis TT, JS32, and MU-2B and have no issues in the past.

I will do the flight again tonight and report back. I can't thank you guys enough for the great support. It is very clear that you guys are extremely proud of this project. I can't wait to see what is in store next.  :D