[SOLVED] Where is the autopilot engage button?

arb65912

Goran,

Thanks to the team for this fantastic plane! What does the heading knob do when rotated left/right versus up/down in the previous picture? I thought up/down might control vertical speed, but am not finding that to be true. Again, thanks for this wonderful model which raises the bar exponentially higher.

What does the heading knob do when rotated left/right versus up/down in the previous picture

Left/Right = Heading

Up/Down = Vertical Speed

These are drag and hold manipulators that spring back to their location when done. In other words, grab the vertical speed one, pull up (lower V/S) or down (higher V/S) and hold in the position until you are satisfied with the number.

• Upvote 1

Unique?  You better believe it.  There's a reason Saab are now making military aircraft.

Just a sidenote, don't forget to hold the autopilot switch for at least 1-2 seconds (just like the real aircraft) or it will not engage.  Saab 340 safety measure.

I believe it, learning curve will be long maybe but quite steep, figured out few things already.  :lol:   Thank you. Cheers, AJ 

• 4 months later...

is anyone else having issues with this plane?  Like the AP not responding? Unable to increase the speed? etc?  I have been trying to follow the included tutorial but have been having great difficulty with it. Firstly, the plane climbs VERY slowly once it gets to 7000 feet.  Even if i press the climb button to put it into climb mode M.  I finally got it to climb at a reasonable rate by increasing the power even though the tutorial explicitly tells you not to.  Then, once I am at 21000 feet, I can not increase its speed to greater then 160 knots.  I press IAS on the autopilot control panel and move the speed bug...nothing.  The attitude remains high and the plane doesnt speed up!  Anyone have any advice on what i may be doing wrong?  Is this me not reading the tutorial correctly, the tutorial being incorrect, or a problem with the plane?  Thanks in advance!

is anyone else having issues with this plane? Like the AP not responding? Unable to increase the speed? etc? I have been trying to follow the included tutorial but have been having great difficulty with it. Firstly, the plane climbs VERY slowly once it gets to 7000 feet. Even if i press the climb button to put it into climb mode M. I finally got it to climb at a reasonable rate by increasing the power even though the tutorial explicitly tells you not to. Then, once I am at 21000 feet, I can not increase its speed to greater then 160 knots. I press IAS on the autopilot control panel and move the speed bug...nothing. The attitude remains high and the plane doesnt speed up! Anyone have any advice on what i may be doing wrong? Is this me not reading the tutorial correctly, the tutorial being incorrect, or a problem with the plane? Thanks in advance!

You are not understanding the systems. The IAS button HOLDS current speed at the time the button is pressed. If you increase throttle, the pitch will increase to maintain that speed.

The Saab 340 does NOT have autothrottle.

You ARE to increase throttle after you have initiated climb.

• 3 weeks later...

I also find this SF340 really nice but I also cannot get it to fly faster than 160 Kts at FL210 (no wind, etc). Is that normal? 

Also, the Left/Right = Heading -- Up/Down = Vertical Speed knob seems to be stuck. The manipulators show but no V/S or heading control at all.

Any suggestion re the two issues?

Thanks! 

Also, the Left/Right = Heading -- Up/Down = Vertical Speed knob seems to be stuck. The manipulators show but no V/S or heading control at all.
This has already been answered here.

I also find this SF340 really nice but I also cannot get it to fly faster than 160 Kts at FL210 (no wind, etc). Is that normal? 
This is not a problem.  Many people are flying the Saab without any issues.  Check the manuals and performance charts for proper operation.   

This has already been answered here.

This is not a problem.  Many people are flying the Saab without any issues.  Check the manuals and performance charts for proper operation.   

Thanks for your answer but regarding my first question, yes, I read the earlier post BUT what I was saying is that the knob is not responsive not what the the knob is for. \it is not responsive this is the issue I am experiencing.

Thanks also for your second answer -- noted ;-) 

Thanks for your answer but regarding my first question, yes, I read the earlier post BUT what I was saying is that the knob is not responsive not what the the knob is for. \it is not responsive this is the issue I am experiencing.
I referred you to that link because it shows HOW the manipulator should be used, not just WHAT it is for.  I wanted to make sure you were using the manipulator correctly prior to responding to any claims that it was not responding.  And, since it is working properly for everyone else, my guess that your problem is an incorrect use of the manipulator would be logical. Please re-read the bottom of that post and report back that you are, in fact, using the manipulator correctly.
  • Upvote 1