PLEASE READ!!

Goran_M

I have seen at least 1 person open the Saab in Planemaker already.

As tempting as it may seem for some of you, if you have purchased the Saab 340, I would ask that you DO NOT open it in Planemaker and make changes to the flight model!  Doing so immediately voids any support from any of us.  What you do is completely at your own risk.  

Jim and I spent weeks just working on the engine section in Planemaker.  Any changes you make ANYWHERE in the flight model will almost certainly have a negative effect on the aircraft.  A lot of the code works with the flight model parameters.

If you notice a problem, post it in the support section and we will tend to it and issue updates as necessary.  

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, guys!

Go into plane maker and mess with the Saab 340A configuration settings is a big no no as it would render the Saab 340A totally useless & definitely void any support!!! If I encounter any more problems with the Saab 340A I definitely would wait for the update!!!

Cheers,

Vincent

Edited by Vinny003
  • Upvote 1

So you can see what the customer do with your plane ... That's frightening :o  You can see how many hours it has been used, where it flew etc tec , I mean, the file is always connected to the internet ? Isn't it a part of privacy that, when you purchased an aircraft you do whatever you want with it ? Inclueding destroying it if you want ( and re-download it afterward if a stock version is needed again ? )

Or I'm completely off and it's just because the one person posted somewhere he opened it in PM ^^

Valentin

You most certainly can not do whatever you want with it.  It is not to be made available as freeware.  It is not to be modified and then to expect support after modifications.  It is not to be resold.  It is not to be shared.  There are many more.

So no, when someone buys an add on, they certainly are not allowed to do whatever they want with it.  They do not own the add on.  They own a license to run the add-on on their own computer.  That is all.

If someone wants to truly own the Saab we made, to do whatever they want with it, it would cost a lot more than $54.95.

Edited by Goran_M
  • Upvote 3

So no, when someone buys an add on, they certainly are not allowed to do whatever they want with it.  They do not own the add on.  They own a license to run the add-on on their own computer.  That is all.

Most of the add-ons that are sold are complex enough so my guess would be that not too many users would mess with them in PM but if they really wanted to, how are you going to know? Just curious.

I understand that the warranty would be gone but someone does not care about it, there is no way of telling what is he doing with the plane or there is? 

Personally , I would not do that but we are all different, correct?

Of course, there is no way of knowing what they do.  But should they "break" something, and then make a post in the forums saying "This part of the aircraft doesn't work and here are the steps I went through before the problem came up" without mentioning the modifications they made, and then we try to recreate the problem on several different machines, it's a safe bet it's because the user made a change somewhere in the add on or there is something seriously wrong at the user level.  If we can't recreate the problem, then there is nothing else we can do.

People need to understand that when they mess with something, they take all responsibility for it.  If someone makes changes, they should not expect help from us because it is simply wasting our time.

I don't have a problem with people breaking down any add on I make if they want to learn something, but there is a very clear line as to where they should stop.  Not meaning to sound grandiose, but when a developer or development team spends 3 years on a product, 7 days a week, it's probably not a good idea to mess with anything in the final release.  

Totally agree, Goran.

I was only saying that if someone wants to play designer, there is no way of telling that he did or seeing it if he does not want to share the info.

I would never do it or suggest anybody else to do it. 

I did not mean to get the topic off the track, I am sorry if I have a bit.  ;)

Plain and simple, section 15 of what you agreed to when you purchased:

15. LICENSE APPLICABLE TO PRODUCTS SOLD

No user of X-Aviation site may modify (personally or commercially) or re-distribute X-Aviation site products without prior written consent from an administrator at X-Aviation. Sharing methods of modification (how to do so) is strictly prohibited and is grounds for termination of a user license or account. An exception is made for aircraft re-paints, which may not only be modified, but may also be re-distributed. In this instance X-Aviation will typically provide a paintkit for user to modify files eligible for modification under these terms.

This really isn't up for debate.

• Upvote 1

Ok guys I just wanted to know if you included some program that " report " everything that is made with the file, when and where it was installed, flew, edited in PM etc and this program would notice you of each event. Just thought that that's all, I understand that it is to be avoided at all cost to open it in PM as it's the 10th time I read it through the thread, just wanted to know about that particulat aspect.

Thanks for your answers Goran & Cameron

• 5 months later...

Valentin

You most certainly can not do whatever you want with it.  It is not to be made available as freeware.  It is not to be modified and then to expect support after modifications.  It is not to be resold.  It is not to be shared.  There are many more.

If someone wants to truly own the Saab we made, to do whatever they want with it, it would cost a lot more than $54.95.

Software development brings a bread also on my table (however it's a boring stuff like business applications, databases and web services). Even in enterprise business I see some users who don't distinguish between owning a stuff and having a right to use something in an unchanged state.

Even if something is freeware, it's the similar kind of license like payware: typically you have right to use it in an unchanged state. The only difference is that freeware you can get for free (or for shipping fee). Generally it's illegal to modify freeware, read it's source (even if it's unprotected python/perl/lua scripts, you should not) or distribute it (even for free!) unless the license explicitly permits you to do so. (There is an other type of licenses - open source - which typically permits you to do changes in a source code and then distribute it, however typically without warranty from original author.) If you find something on internet which does not have a license with it, you can't do anything (even download and use it) - it's a property of somebody else and you need a permission to do anything with that.

Really, software development is quite a time consuming fun, very costly if you run your own company. I'd also like to ask everybody not to modify anything and then ask for support from original author. It's because many parts of software are quite complex and changing one parameter on one side can break behaviour of another part - if you don't realize all the relationships, it's likely you break something even if you don't realize it on the first sight.

Edited by eMko
  • Upvote 1