[SOLVED] Ever heard of European (and other) airspace...

lonewulf47

... that use HP (hectopascal) as the main unit for altimeter setting ?!?!? It can't be soo terrible difficult to create an altimeter with a dual Kollsman window... :lol: . Yes, I know how to convert but you will hardly find any A/C in European airspace without units in HP.

Oskar

Edited by lonewulf47

... that use HP (hectopascal) as the main unit for altimeter setting ?!?!? It can't be soo terrible difficult to create an altimeter with a dual Kollsman window... :lol: . Yes, I know how to convert but you will hardly find any A/C in European airspace without units in HP.

Oskar

We modeled this aircraft as per the Saab documentation.  The CoPilot altimeter has a dual Kollsman window.  

Jim

Lead Programmer

LES Saab 340A

Yes, of course there are a million excuses and please don't try to tell me how it is in real aviation... :) Fact is that you will never find any commercially operated A/C in JAR/EASA OPS with an altimeter indicating in in.HG only. In addition to that all the 340A and 340B I have seen in Crossair OPS did have both altimeters in HP (at that time still called mb) and btw, also from my limited knowledge of real world aviation: every ATIS and every METAR in Europe only shows pressure figures in HP. The answer is more simple than any excuse: Nobody actually cared... :D

Oskar

The answer is more simple than any excuse: Nobody actually cared...

I think it's not about caring (this would imply knowing about that but saying "yeah, I know, but who cares?"). I think such details (i.e. that the manual used for developing would not apply for certain operators in Europe) did not even come to mind -- so no "who care's intention", but more like not knowing. :)

Edited by Mario Donick

I'd bet that Crossair and other operators likely replaced the altimeters for their own needs, and what the team here has modeled is a 340A as it was delivered from the factory.  People modify cockpit instrumentation all the time, it's very common.  I've never seen two piper arrows or cessna 182s in the real world that were identical to each other.  Each individual aircraft is different.