Saab 340A Release Status Report #3

Cameron

I still fail to see the point of giving a specific time frame, and then releasing the last hour/minute of that time frame.

You're implying that everything is complete, ready, and we're just holding the push of a button till the last second. This isn't the case. It's a date range as best estimate.

I know they are playing with our nerves, thinking it will raise dramatically the day one customer number

Wrong thinking.

we will be very very disapointed and will start to think there isn't only the installer that still need to be done ...

This is a VERY complex installer setup code wise. The most complex we have done yet.

Small typo : "Fuerza Aérea Argentina"

Thanks!

All of you with weird thoughts:

None of this is about marketing hype and waiting till the last minute (I suppose that would be fun in another world). We're giving you access to information that we typically keep close. Many of you have asked, so we're taking the time to inform. The information we give you is what we believe to be true internally the second we write about it. Take it or leave it!

I think we're on about our third or fourth week straight with ridiculous work hours doing all of this. There's a lot of prep that goes into all of the backend code, manuals, and installers. Personally, I average about 4 hours of sleep per night right now, so calm yourselves and the theories a bit, please. :)

We're pretty close to schedule this time. The livery manager took a little longer than expected to get working correctly (that was last nights project), but we've got that solved now. We are currently all testing the installers on the live servers now. A few minor bumps found, but nothing too major.

The release will be today, not far from this prediction as indicated in status report #3.

• Upvote 6

why do you not just announce the date of release 1-2 days later than you are thinking

This is precisely why we date ranged it. Originally we thought same day as announcement, but things happen in this funky world they call programming. We'll all live another few hours and it'll be behind us. It's not like we're looking at days late again. :)

• Upvote 1

Because in creative worlds a deadline will always be fully used, because you see always new things to change, to test etc. So a deadline is needed to limit the timeframe. Extending deadlines means only more days to work on the project.

And a plane also needs some time after touch-down to come to a full stop. Please give them that time...

EDIT: oops I made many typos, so i have corrected the ones I saw ... my bad English got even badder worse while typing on a smartphone   ;)

Edited by wim1976

well as developer and beta tester i want to leave a coment about the time frame said here, is normaly the info only betatesters get. and i know like many others that have been beta tester how things can take time some times you would think now it´s ready to release and it took some time, often longer then expected and wanted. then comes the part where it get haded to the guys whit installer and all that, and yes ofcause it depends on company some have much to do all the time and stuff gets in to the waiting line. of cause it´s a mattor of keeping all busy.

i know as already stated it´s some new stuff they do and we all know extra time is required.. i guess it´s the fewest that had succes whit there first job where they had to improve / studdy beside to get it right.

no matter how we put it there is so many steps during the work flow and i only showed it limited as this would be a long storry to cover i only say there are many steps from start to stop and many things can affect the progress along the way.

as all developers have to have something to work whit at all time. often why we se new aircrafts and feel it takes for ever from the first outside model, but it´s a work flow the modeler of the external have to work on.. as the programing stuff is more complex then the outside of cause it´s not peace of cake but coding is hard core stuff i know very little about !    

Edited by KAPTEJNLN