Saab 340A Release Status Report #3

Cameron

Hello, Captains!,

I know many of you have been patiently (or not so patiently) waiting for the Saab 340A release. It's been a few days since our last update, so here's a new one for you...

First and foremost, get ready! ;) We are 48 hours or less from release. It could be in one hour, it could be in five, it could be in 48. This means as soon as our installers are compiled, tested, uploaded, and the product page is ready to go, the product will be online.

We have finished creating all manuals and fixing bugs found along the way. The documentation for this product is very comprehensive, as it should be. The systems manual is 200+ pages of reading material for you to learn and understand how the Saab 340A works both in sim an in the real world. Of course, if you're not the person to want to read and you just want to get in and fly, the auto start feature on this aircraft was made just for you, so don't feel left out!

Here's a few highlights to expect with this product:

Liveries

The Saab 340A comes with 32 liveries spread across three variants. These liveries are included with your Saab 340A purchase at no additional charge. 

The list of liveries is as follows...

Passenger Variant

• Air New Zealand Link
  • Continental Connection
  • Crossair
  • Delta Connection
  • Estonian - Hockey Bird Livery
  • Flybe Logan Air
  • Fuerza Aerea Argentinea
  • Japan Air Lines
  • Kenya Airways
  • Leading Edge Simulations House Livery
  • NextJet
  • Nokair
  • Northwest Airlink
  • Northwest Airlink - Route Map Livery
  • Pacific Coastal
  • PenAir
  • Private/Corporate Livery
  • REX
  • REX - City of Wagga Wagga Livery
  • REX - Shark Diving Livery
  • Saab House Factory Colors
  • Silver
  • Skyways
  • Trans World Express
  • United Express (Tulip)
  • US Airways Express

Cargo Variant

• Adria Cargo
  • Aloha Air Cargo
  • Bridges
  • DHL

AEW Variant

• Swedish Air Force
  • Royal Thai Air Force

3D Sound Engine

We've touched on this a bit before, but I'll elaborate a bit more now. The Saab 340A comes with a brand new sound engine called soundXtreme. It was built to do what we wanted and how we wanted rather than having to rely on third party solutions or default sounds. The sound engine allows for sound files to play from certain places in 3D space, recognizes where the sound should be directed, and whether the sound being played is for interior or exterior. This is a very light description of this sound engine (it's very advanced), but there's no need to get too technical in this post over it. I'll say this: It rocks!

The actual sounds came from a real Saab 340A. We partnered with Turbine Sound Studios on an all-new HD pack (not their currently released MSFS offering) for the interior and exterior engine sounds. The prop, turbine, and every other sound are separated from one another so that our sound engine has full control of every aspect of each sound. You guys will pick up on this right way as you move your condition levers around the various ranges...it's chilling how good it sounds!

The internal cockpit warning and cabin sounds came from our own real recordings in a Saab 340A. Each sound you hear will be authentic to the aircraft!

All in all, the aircraft comes with more than 130 unique samples of sound.

Installation

The Saab 340A installation program will take a departure from our traditional installers and fetch only the files you really want. We do this for a variety of reasons, with the first being the fact that some of you will not want every variant or livery we have made. Within the installer you will be able to select which variants (passenger variant mandatory) and liveries you want installed. Based on your selection, the installer will fetch the appropriate files and install them for you.

During the install process we also analyze your system to provide you the best experience in sim. You'll be asked what video card you have, and based on this selection we will auto-install the necessary texture sizes for your video card. Rest assured, we have gone through great lengths to make sure the aircraft textures look good, so let the installer do it's thing and be truthful in your selection of hardware. :)

The size of install will vary depending on selections of hardware and liveries, but the max install (all options selected) will run at about a 1.4GB download and just about 1.9GB installed.

Livery Manager

We will be including a livery manager program. In short, this program will allow you to install liveries you previously did not install in the installation process without having to go through the entire install process again. This is pretty self explanatory from here, so no need to further elaborate. :)

Documentation

Documentation will include the following manuals: Introduction and settings, Charts, Company Manual (Systems), Quick/Autostart Manual, and a flight tutorial.

Okay, so that's where we stand right now. Hopefully this little update is well received and gets you prepared for what's to come and what to expect.

We'll be seeing you soon! 

• Upvote 12

Congratulations with the result of your hard work, congratulations with taking the time you need to create a plane that raises the bar, congratulations for your perseverance to withstand all the demands, critics, false statements and finally congratulations with your courage to extend the releaseperiod to bring us the most perfect plane.

• Upvote 2

they get the marketing right. Never seen so much teasing, a week ago I knew nothing about any saab 340. I only committed to x plane (coming from fsx) 2 weeks ago, flying the crj200, and now I find myself checking this site every hour for news.

bastards ;)

Hehe, you are right, the marketing of this Saab is very well done, reminds me a bit of the PMDG-777 hype some weeks ago :D

Based on your selection, the installer will fetch the appropriate files and install them for you.

(...)

based on this selection we will auto-install the necessary texture sizes for your video card.

If I understand this correctly ("fetch"), when we buy the Saab we'll get an installer that downloads the Saab files from your servers? So when I decide to install _everything_, I still can make a backup of the installed Saab's aircraft folder to prevent the need for download again?

I have set my texture resolution to extreme, with a 2GB video card and 8GB RAM. Based on that, will your installer suggest the highest texture quality, or a lower one? Can I change texture quality after the installation?

Edited by Mario Donick

If I understand this correctly ("fetch"), when we buy the Saab we'll get an installer that downloads the Saab files from your servers? So when I decide to install _everything_, I still can make a backup of the installed Saab's aircraft folder to prevent the need for download again?

That would be correct.

I have set my texture resolution to extreme, with a 2GB video card and 8GB RAM. Based on that, will your installer suggest the highest texture quality, or a lower one? Can I change texture quality after the installation?

With your setup, the installer would grab the highest resolution version for you. Texture quality may be changed only by doing a new re-install, but we've done testing on a pretty wide range of systems to ensure we got this right. We also made sure that legibility of text in the cockpit was always clear, so I don't think we'll really hear complaints. Even the lowest resolution version isn't really all that low res. :)

• Upvote 2

If I do my maths correctly, the 48 hours should end this evening :D

(Based on my local time of Cameron's post that was September 19th, 7:35 pm, and my current local time September 21st, 12:00 pm). But maybe I'm also missing some time zone stuff. :D

Anyway, I'm excited to see the Saab this weekend ;))

Edited by Mario Donick

I still fail to see the point of giving a specific time frame, and then releasing the last hour/minute of that time frame. (Which remains tot be seen atm) i hope there isn't too much cognitive dissonance after the marketing boy's work. In fact, there will be a lot if marketing did their job right.

• Upvote 1

Mm yeah ...

Honestly, after 3 Release Status Report ( all saying it was about to be ... ) I start to think we'll never see this one out soon ;-(

I know they are playing with our nerves, thinking it will raise dramatically the day one customer number ... But I imagin that phenomenon like a curve, where the maximum would be at a certain point of teasing/excitement/mouth watering etc etc ...

Then, if it continue to be teased for hours, days, weeks ... it becomes not supportable anymore and frustration takes place instead, and the curve goes down, dramatically ...

Hope I'm wrong, but if it's not released this week end, with all promises ( of this #3 RSR saying within 48 ), we will be very very disapointed and will start to think there isn't only the installer that still need to be done ...

Once again, hope I'm wrong ;-)

• Upvote 1