Saab 340A - Menu System Preview

Cameron

Hello, Captains!,

We're over here working feverishly as usual and I'm just finding a quick break in-between to provide you guys with a little preview on what to expect with our menu system for the Saab 340A! While this aircraft is complex by nature, we have taken a lot of things into account to make your life a little easier while inflight and prepping for a flight. So, let's get to it!...

The Saab 340 menu's are all located in the Gizmo tool tray, which conveniently comes into view when you hover your mouse over the right hand side of the X-Plane window. While there are a number of icons that will pop out, we're going to focus just on the Saab icons, which are highlighted below in red:

Menus_09_08_2013_1.jpg

The first icon we have here is a '+' icon. This icon, when clicked, will pull up a window for the Condition Lever Joystick Assignments. The Saab has two condition levers, in addition to two throttle levers, so for those of you with hardware this will come in handy! In the below photo I have assigned one of the two levers to my hardware.

Menus_09_08_2013_2.jpg

The next item on the tool tray appears as three horizontal bars lined one after the other. This icon will launch the Saab 340A Virtual Checklist window, which is actually one of my favorite features. As complex as this aircraft is, and as much as we know a lot of customers don't like to read (come on, you know it's true), this comes in handy! I'll explain that in the following series of images.

First, the window presented to you when you click the icon to launch the window...

Menus_09_08_2013_3.jpg

From the above image and for this example, let's click on the 'Preparatory Check' select button. This will then bring up that specific checklist, with a list of buttons and checkboxes. Below, I have clicked to view the first item on the checklist, and it takes me right to where I need to go on the overhead panel. No searching around, no reading the manual to figure out the location, and no scratching my head! Just verify what the checklist says and when I'm done, click to view the next item and let the camera take me there!

Menus_09_08_2013_4.jpg

Just for fun, I also wanted to show you what it looks like when you select to view the 'Walk Around' checklist...

Menus_09_08_2013_5.jpg

Okay, moving on to menu item number three in the tool tray we see a camera icon. If you haven't guessed already this launches a window to select pre-set camera views hardcoded into the product. This means that in addition to this, you may also make your own standard X-Plane pre-set camera views, but these will always be there for you! I'm going to walk you through what each view looks like. To start, here's the initial window you are presented with...

Caution: Images contain razor sharp custom programmed EFIS display.

Menus_09_08_2013_15.jpg

And, the following images show where each button on this menu will take you to...

Overhead

Menus_09_08_2013_16.jpg

Pilot VFR

Menus_09_08_2013_17.jpg

CoPilot VFR

Menus_09_08_2013_18.jpg

MCP

Menus_09_08_2013_19.jpg

Pilot IFR

Menus_09_08_2013_20.jpg

Ctr Panel

Menus_09_08_2013_21.jpg

CoPilot IFR

Menus_09_08_2013_22.jpg

L Side Pnl

Menus_09_08_2013_23.jpg

TQ (Throttle Quadrant)

Menus_09_08_2013_24.jpg

R Side Pnl

Menus_09_08_2013_25.jpg

Radios

Menus_09_08_2013_26.jpg

Continuing on with the next tool tray icon, we have a picture of a truck. This icon will open the Ground Support Equipment window. There are a number of visible features on the exterior of the aircraft that correlate directly to this menu. When you first load up the aircraft, the engines will be shut down and all of the 'Remove Before Flight' flags will be in place on the aircraft just like you'd find them in real life. Additionally, there are safety cones, chocks, and the ground power unit (GPU) selectable from this menu. It's pretty straightforward, but here's what it looks like...

Menus_09_08_2013_6.jpg

The next item in the tool tray available to you has the text that says "Saab TQ". This icon when clicked will open a very helpful menu which I think you pilots will use quite frequently and find very handy! This is actually a virtual window which shows a render of the throttle quadrant and the location of all the throttle and condition levers. Yellow represents where your levers are currently placed, while red represents a limit when in the air (flight idle). As you move your levers up and down, the yellow lines will animate on the fly and display a percentage value (also very important to know so you don't burn up your engines). When in the air, no matter how far down you move your throttle levers with your hardware, the red line will limit your throttle position from actually going below that point. This is a lock mechanism which is also present in the real aircraft. As soon as the plane touches down, you can then move below this red line and into the various positions (like reverse). A very handy feature, for sure!

Menus_09_08_2013_7.jpg

Moving along, the next available icon in the tool tray depicts charts. This is another really great feature on this aircraft! We allow you to create or download your own charts from the internet and place them in a folder. The charts will then be available to you in the Chart Selector window, where you can select the checkbox next to the chart you want, and it will actually place that specific chart into the chart clip on the yoke! Below shows a selection for Newark (KEWR). Note...in the below image there's an alignment issue with the selection vs. text, and it's just due to some code editing but I wanted to show you anyhow!

Menus_09_08_2013_8.jpg

Next up we have an icon of a speaker. If you haven't figured this one out by now, this is a menu for our 3D sound engine preferences (called soundXtreme). The Saab 340A has some amazing sound features included to really give you a great experience! Quite literally, we were provided the access to get EVERY aural sound from the cockpit, hydraulic pump sounds, interior and exterior engine sounds, button and dial sounds, stair sounds, flaps, wipers, recirc fans, you name it! I'll be sure to dedicate some time to further explain this, but I really can't stress enough how much the sounds in this product enhance it to a whole new level! The menu options for this window allow you to customize what sounds you would like to hear at what volume levels...

Menus_09_08_2013_9.jpg

The next item and icon selectable looks like a "play" button. For those of you who are short on time, or just want to get up and go (hey, the babies diaper needs changing, or sometimes you just need to use the loo), we haven't forgot about you! We realize the Saab 340A is a complex simulation with a lot going on and requires some reading if you really want to know how to do everything properly. However, some of you do not like that. We know this, and we want to include you in on this product too! As such, we have created an Auto-Start window for you. This window will quite literally move switches, monitor systems, and do the dirty work for you until all the important systems and engines are up and running so that the only thing you have to do is essentially move your condition and throttle levers forward to roll down the runway! For those of you who just like to watch and learn, we have made a Auto-Start interval input where you can tell the Saab how quickly you want it to flip switches during the startup sequence. This is great to slow down if you want to just get a feel for how things work!

The following images depict a typical Auto-Start sequence...

Menus_09_08_2013_10.jpg

Menus_09_08_2013_11.jpg

Menus_09_08_2013_12.jpg

Last but certainly not least we have the User Preferences icon. This icon opens a window to allow user selection of certain data to be popped up on screen depending on an action taking place. This is REALLY handy for people who map these specific items to hardware, as the knobs (such as heading) are situated in the center pedestal. As virtual pilots, we don't have the luxury that real world pilots do to use our hands in one spot and our eyes targeted on another, so this helps heaps! I have two images to show you for this. The first image depicts the actual window that launches when the icon is clicked from the tool tray...

Menus_09_08_2013_13.jpg

And the following image depicts what happens if I select the 'Heading Selection Pop-Up' option, and then adjust my actual heading knob. You'll see in the upper left corner of the screen a real-time view of my current heading selection will come up until I have discontinued adjusting my heading. Really handy!

Menus_09_08_2013_14.jpg

A final word!....

In addition to all that has been mentioned above, night flying can be tricky due to dark conditions and these windows being bright blue. But, fear not! We have taken this into account for you, and during dark hours these windows will auto-dim so that you're not blinded. Think of it like a GPS when driving down the road. The GPS has a day and night mode, and we have the same here!

So, that's a walk through of our rather expansive menu system for this product. We've tried to think of many scenarios that would initially be bothersome and implement them into easy to use interfaces instead! I hope you've enjoyed learning a little more about the Saab 340A, and that this helps you get a little more acquainted with the experience you're about to have!

Cheers, and Blue Skies!

• Upvote 11

The next item in the tool tray available to you has the text that says "Saab TQ". This icon when clicked will open a very helpful menu which I think you pilots will use quite frequently and find very handy! This is actually a virtual window which shows a render of the throttle quadrant and the location of all the throttle and condition levers. Yellow represents where your levers are currently placed, while red represents a limit when in the air (flight idle). As you move your levers up and down, the yellow lines will animate on the fly and display a percentage value (also very important to know so you don't burn up your engines). When in the air, no matter how far down you move your throttle levers with your hardware, the red line will limit your throttle position from actually going below that point. This is a lock mechanism which is also present in the real aircraft. As soon as the plane touches down, you can then move below this red line and into the various positions (like reverse). A very handy feature, for sure!

Menus_09_08_2013_7.jpg

Really nice ! What you explain here is more or less teh WoW ( Weight on Wheel ) system present in many real aircraft.

There are really nice features here, like the autostart one if it works flawlessly..

This one will be a masterpiece for sure, now totally understand why did it require so long

Good luck for the release process Cameron

• Upvote 1

This is all so awesome. Sound Extreme looks to be a wonderful piece of software. I like the fact I can individually customize the sounds. Also the chart idea is great! I will use that for sure. Nice work on everything, the menu system looks to have been well thought out and designed.

I have a question.

When you select auto start, will the camera follow the actions, or do you have to pan the camera to follow the start up flow?

The chart feature is amazing! I can't wait to get my hands on this.

No, the camera does not follow the actions.  It would be dizzying (and probably not effective) at higher autostart speeds :)  Better that you sit back a little and watch what is happening.

Just so sweet I am at a loss for words...

I have the "BAE" and I really like flying it and then there is the "DC-3" which is one that likes to fly and fly ...

So, if I can tell you the the "SAAB" come close to the fun that I have with the other two aircraft "Wee said the little pig"

this captbullett is waiting for the reese of the "SAAB" and it time to go simming have a good day

captbullett

can this plane be hot started like other planes?  also, is the parking brake separate in operation as with other payware planes? 

Looking at Cameron's pictures and descriptions I believe there will be a quick start or a hot start. Not sure about parking brake.

Not sure what you are referring to as "separate in operation", please clarify.

what I mean is that with the 777 for example and other planes the parking brake set up is separate of the x-plane default Brake key and or when I press my toe brakes, qpac A320, Airbus 380, mitsubishi off x-aviaiton i believe,   thus to stop the plane becomes a hassle. 

what I mean is that with the 777 for example and other planes the parking brake set up is separate of the x-plane default Brake key and or when I press my toe brakes, qpac A320, Airbus 380, mitsubishi off x-aviaiton i believe,   thus to stop the plane becomes a hassle. 

Well, there are some aspects of the brakes that are custom, however, they work fine and should not cause any problems.