North Korea to open its Doors?

Michael_Chang

Will North Korea ever open itself to the world?
The answer seems to be yes as the government has recently approved the redesign of the Wonsan military base into an international airport supposed to host foreign Airlines for the first time ever in North Korea.
In July 2013,Supreme leader Kim Jong-Un approved plans for a complete redesign of the airport, turning it into an international airport for civilian use. The new airport was designed by the Chinese architectural firm PLT Planning & Architecture. The redesign will include two 36,000-square-foot Oval-shaped terminals, one serving domestic flights and one serving international flights, that will each contain six gates and several Duty Free stores. The runways will also be extended to 3500 metres. The airport is expected to serve 1.2 million visitors annually. It is expected to cost US$200 million.

What do you guys think of this? 

• Upvote 1

I would love to go to North Korea, seriously! I would get to fly on the il-62, il-72, tu-204, an-24 and the mil-8/17.

Currently I believe approx. 2000 western tourists go per year. Sign me up. And when people ask where you want you get to say North Korea! How's that for a story?

This development doesn't look large enough for anything other than an expansion of services to China, Russia and possibly South Korea. The most interesting thing about the development is that it is being designed by a prominent Hong Kong-based architectural firm in a deal which included upgrading the main airport at Pyongyang Sunan.

In the end, who knows.

This is what it would look like: post-10623-0-97782500-1375812125_thumb.j

Will North Korea ever open itself to the world?
The answer seems to be yes as the government has recently approved the redesign of the Wonsan military base into an international airport supposed to host foreign Airlines for the first time ever in North Korea.
In July 2013,Supreme leader Kim Jong-Un approved plans for a complete redesign of the airport, turning it into an international airport for civilian use. The new airport was designed by the Chinese architectural firm PLT Planning & Architecture. The redesign will include two 36,000-square-foot Oval-shaped terminals, one serving domestic flights and one serving international flights, that will each contain six gates and several Duty Free stores. The runways will also be extended to 3500 metres. The airport is expected to serve 1.2 million visitors annually. It is expected to cost US$200 million.

What do you guys think of this? 

The problem isn't getting in. It's getting out. Honestly, with the current leadership, I'm not sure i'd want to go. It just isn't a very desirable place to visit. 

I was going to go last summer, however my parents chickened out and we just stayed in china. Although the country isn't exactly desirable, i'd like to see it just to experience it first hand.

The problem isn't getting in. It's getting out. Honestly, with the current leadership, I'm not sure i'd want to go. It just isn't a very desirable place to visit. 

Americans visit NK all the time, and as far as I know nothing has happened to any of them in recent history. Not saying It's high on my list of places to visit, but it's also not quite the completely isolationist country many westerners seem to think it is.

It is all propaganda, though.

Edited by AgreMeister
  • Upvote 1

I was going to go last summer, however my parents chickened out and we just stayed in china. Although the country isn't exactly desirable, i'd like to see it just to experience it first hand.

Agree with you there, I would like to see what the country is like. 

• Upvote 1

I actually lived in Luoyang, China for a short time, and while it had it's problems I'd seriously doubt that it was any worse than Detroit or Baltimore. The nice areas of the city were absolutely gorgeous, even if half the time there was so much smog you couldn't see 100 feet in front of you.

I certainly wouldn't complain if I had to live there :P

Cold war will never end for those North Koreans educated by the propaganda they had to endure from birth, The US is the DEVIL to them. Nothing else. No desire to see the puppet

kingdom of the current leaders. It will never end. Till they are erased.

This should be moved to the rant section so I could express freely what I'd really like to say after reading a post like this. But I'll be understanding to recognise that a comment like this can only come from a someone that has been fed propaganda since birth, living in puppet land, kept ignorant about the world he lives in by the puppet masters, and led to believe that they are the devil.

After reading and editing to soften my words many times, I can only feel compassion for you. I sincerely hope you find the courage to take your head out of your ass some day, and discover for yourself the world you live in.

Edited by scubajuan_new

After reading and editing to soften my words many times, I can only feel compassion for you. I sincerely hope you find the courage to take your head out of your ass some day, and discover for yourself the world you live in.

Compassion for Jim? Why? All he said was essentially the truth. I've spoke to a number of folks who have had the opportunity to visit N. Korea, as well as recently watched a documentary.

The people there are shielded from the outside world. The USA is constantly called the "imperialists" and they teach their culture and people that their leader is feared by the rest of the world for his power, but loved by many for his ways of business. In fact, they have a museum set up to display gifts given to the "President" of N. Korea to display how well "liked" all over the world this person is. Everything there is a show, fake, and not real for tourists who visit.

The propaganda there is absurd. They are taught things that cannot be verified by outside sources because they do not have the luxury of the internet or non-state run media like you and I do. Heck, they could launch a rocket today, be told by their own media that it struck down ships (when it really didn't), and the people would have nothing to go by on other than to believe what they were just told. That's how isolated it is.

• Upvote 1

Well, it would be nice if they at least adopted some of China's level of openness, because I believe many people, especially Chinese, would see Nth Korea as a great place to invest if there was more openness. Not unlike East Germany I'd say.

However, you do get the feeling that with this level of Stockholm Syndrome, it might be very destabilising for Nth Korea to open up too much at any one time. Not unlike Russia with it's Peristoika and Glasnost I'd say.

I don't want to be the one who bust your bubble, but all those statements apply to any nation in the world. 

The USA is constantly called the "imperialists" and they teach their culture and people that their leader is feared by the rest of the world for his power, but loved by many for his ways of business.

The USA is in fact an imperialist nation that maintains military bases in at least 150 countries around the globe.Throughout its history has invaded and and appropriated the land and the resources of independent nations by force (Native Americans, Mexico, Hawaii, Iraq, Afghanistan to name a few) based on lies and manipulation. The US citizens are lead to believe that "The World" hates americans because they are jealous of their "freedom" and shielded for the fact that it is their foreign policy the main cause of the growing discontent with a nation that once represented the ideal values of freedom, not anymore. For Instance Libya, the attack and murder of their lider on the basis of humanitarian help to the rebels that were being repressed by the forces of their state. I just wander what happen to the Occupy Movements, everybody around the world saw the repression by the government forces to a otherwise peaceful demonstration. "Freedom of speech", of "public assembly"? And Yes! the US is feared around the world because of it military power, If you don't comply to the petrodollar and "Independent Central Bank" you risk having a bomb of "Democracy" being dropped at your doorstep. Like is happening to Syria, soon to Iran, and sooner or latter to North Korea. But is not just me or the north koreans that think The US is an empire : 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_imperialism

The propaganda there is absurd. They are taught things that cannot be verified by outside sources because they do not have the luxury of the internet or non-state run media like you and I do. Heck, they could launch a rocket today, be told by their own media that it struck down ships (when it really didn't), and the people would have nothing to go by on other than to believe what they were just told.

Does the dead of Osama ring any bells? How about the Iraqi arsenal of WMD? The so called "Fee Media" is just an instrument of propaganda for those that control "The State". The same people that control the media control the banking cartels, the Oil, Pharmaceutical, Agroindustrial, food manufacturing and off-course the weapons industries, to name just a few. And anybody who dares to speak out against them is systematically silenced either by dead or by intimidation, like it happen to JFK.

I have been debating wether to post or not my opinion above here, after all It is not political interest that brings me here. I come here for Flight Simulator and aviation information in general, besides being aware that this simple statements may very well be monitored and perhaps I will be labeled as a threat, but what the hell...

Apparently you're having a problem interpreting my points. The above post is way off even for the context of what I'm writing. 

You literally do not get it.

That might be the case and I apologize for my choice of words in case you, or anybody else, find them offensive. they were in response to this statement:

Cold war will never end for those North Koreans educated by the propaganda they had to endure from birth, The US is the DEVIL to them. Nothing else. No desire to see the puppet

kingdom of the current leaders. It will never end. Till they are erased.

Which I find offensive and and plainly ignorant. Even if the erasure part refers to Kim Jong-un as an individual and not to the entire Democratic People's Republic of Korea (note that is written "THEY" and not "HE"). I've heard the same bullshit about Fidel Castro, Hugo Chavez, Evo Morales, Muammar Gaddafi, Saddam Husein, etc.

And the being educated by propaganda since birth part, well. It applies to everybody alive on this planet and that is the point I was trying to make. You, my friend, as well as me, have been lied to, kept from the truth and manipulated in so many ways that is terrifying to even try to make sense of. But more scary is the thought of perpetrating the lies and allowing the sick psychopaths behind the NWO achieve their goals.

And back to airports and airplanes...

Edited by scubajuan_new