AWG Sim - Sky Environment XP Development

account641

Care to elaborate

Yes,

with X-Plane the entire sky textures for each day is stored on the one file whereas in FSX Dawn, Day and Dusk are separate textures files. So basically one texture controls the sky whereas because in FSX each time of day has an independent texture they can be mixed and matched. This is not possible in X-Plane.

sky_colors_clean.png?psid=1

As you can see in the default sky texture image above each time of day has a 'block' on the sheet. In FSX each 'block' is a separate file thus allowing one to mix and match textures. In X-Plane all these 'blocks' are on the one texture sheet and therefore they cannot be taken off one sheet and onto another automatically. It is just to complicated. It is possible manually but there would be hundreds of combinations and it simply would not be feasible. Of course having the time 'blocks' on one texture sheet also has its advantages as well. 

We would love to offer a mix and match option but sadly it is to complicated to ever implement with the X-Plane limitation. 

actually, its not that complicated....why not copy paste the hues from the other files into one file?

I would like to know more about this sky environment add on :D

As I said it is simple in theory but making a program which can do that quickly on the fly for many different textures is complicated and difficult. 

We will preview some different cloud themes over the coming days along with runway/airport textures soon.

Care to elaborate

Yes,

with X-Plane the entire sky textures for each day is stored on the one file whereas in FSX Dawn, Day and Dusk are separate textures files. So basically one texture controls the sky whereas because in FSX each time of day has an independent texture they can be mixed and matched. This is not possible in X-Plane.

As you can see in the default sky texture image above each time of day has a 'block' on the sheet. In FSX each 'block' is a separate file thus allowing one to mix and match textures. In X-Plane all these 'blocks' are on the one texture sheet and therefore they cannot be taken off one sheet and onto another automatically. It is just to complicated. It is possible manually but there would be hundreds of combinations and it simply would not be feasible. Of course having the time 'blocks' on one texture sheet also has its advantages as well.

We would love to offer a mix and match option but sadly it is to complicated to ever implement with the X-Plane limitation.

You can have the same sky theme for dusk as for dawn making the transition more blended. Check out my samples on the library, search my name

Another update on the clouds. We are making fantastic progress, the clouds look even better in the sim.

Stratus and Puffy Theme

9692536204_04b8a9ffe9_h.jpg

9689313883_d61d2b975f_h.jpg

​Realistic Theme

9692546228_9de60c0385_h.jpg

We are looking forward to sharing more previews of more cloud themes soon. We are delaying the release of Sky Environment XP to add more features such as clouds and tweak sky colours. We really don't want to rush this product like what happened in the past. I would also like to add that we have a few open positions for beta testers to test the product. Please send me a PM or email if you are interested.

As usual we want to hear your feedback on these previews. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Some new previews of our Sky Environment XP add-on, we think a renaming of the product may be in order because it changes more textures than those released to the sky (eg. airport ground).

Our new HD moon and sun halo effect. What do you guys think of them? The images are taken straight from the sim.

9839557555_84615948eb_b.jpg

9839582606_e83a5fd00c_b.jpg

9839541974_497d76562c_b.jpg

and some of the new sun halo...

9839648153_23545f5b29_b.jpg

9839648683_1fc40cc0e8_b.jpg

All feedback is welcome and please comment.

Mister Aaron,

I'd love to know what is so different with your moon and the one over there, that I made available to the community for free, which, in all fairness, does look just as good to me :

moon.jpg

I'm afraid I'm missing what is justifying the cost/added value here, since the moon imagery you're using is public domain (I can recognize it from a mile away).

Do enlighten me.

• Upvote 1

Mister Aaron,

I'd love to know what is so different with your moon and the one over there, that I made available to the community for free, which, in all fairness, does look just as good to me :

I'm afraid I'm missing what is justifying the cost/added value here, since the moon imagery you're using is public domain (I can recognize it from a mile away).

Do enlighten me.

Same imagery, we only see 1 side of the moon after all.

For a small amount of money you are getting

• 9 different sky thenes
  • 4 different cloud textures with an enhanced 3d effect
  • HD glaciers (supplied by John from MaXX-XP)
  • HD runway/taxiway airport textures
  • Sun/Moon halo and flare
  • Tweaked city lights
  • ...and we have more to announce.

:)

Edited by AaronG

Public domain here, supplied by John there. Freeware work from Pierre here. Freeware work from John there. Seems these days it's easy to find a loophole, package it, sell it. You should try this with FlightGear as it's all free. Oh wait, thats already been done by another opportunist. Come on man, Seriously ? Not knocking what you do (well I am actually)  just how you go about doing it. Where did you get the clouds from by the way ? If this post gets me banned or put on vacation for a while I'll take it gladly. You know, there's some real satisfaction in doing the work, owning it and saying look what I did. The things that the two guys that posted on this have done for the community for FREE should remain so. Well thanks for listening and I'm off to find some freeware without any disclaimers to sell.
      FREE HD MOON !
Edited by redpiper
  • Upvote 5

Public domain here, supplied by John there. Freeware work from Pierre here. Freeware work from John there. Seems these days it's easy to find a loophole, package it, sell it. You should try this with FlightGear as it's all free. Oh wait, thats already been done by another opportunist. Come on man, Seriously ? Not knocking what you do (well I am actually)  just how you go about doing it. Where did you get the clouds from by the way ? If this post gets me banned or put on vacation for a while I'll take it gladly. You know, there's some real satisfaction in doing the work, owning it and saying look what I did. The things that the two guys that posted on this have done for the community for FREE should remain so. Well thanks for listening and I'm off to find some freeware without any disclaimers to sell.

FREE MOON !
Edited by redpiper

FREE HD MOON !

How much can one do to a moon texture? Not very much. There is only 1 side of the moon which you can see. Yes, there is freeware available and there will always be freeware available however we offer so much more than just a moon.

Everything was custom developed for his bar the glacier texture which John made. We have repeated that on various websites. We are not just ripping freeware files and jamming them into one product, all the stuff is being custom developed.

• 9 different sky thenes
  • HD glaciers (supplied by John from MaXX-XP, different from his freeware ones)
  • Tweaked city lights
Edited by AaronG

Ok, out of caution, guys, AWG will release :

• 9 different sky themes
  • Tweaked city lights
  • ...and more to announce.

Just making sure we all know that by now.

• Upvote 2

How much can one do to a moon texture? Not very much. There is only 1 side of the moon which you can see. Yes, there is freeware available and there will always be freeware available however we offer so much more than just a moon.

Everything was custom developed for his bar the glacier texture which John made. We have repeated that on various websites. We are not just ripping freeware files and jamming them into one product, all the stuff is being custom developed.

• 9 different sky thenes
  • Tweaked city lights

Right.

Edited by redpiper