pryoski

Parking Brake ...

6 posts in this topic

Hi Tom,

I meant to bring this up earlier, is it by design that the park brake must be applied via manipulator (mouse) followed by key-press?

When I release the brakes, I must use the manipulator first and then I've got to release them using the "V" key as well (my assigned XP key for Parking Brake).

Btw ... I hope that this iconic plane gets continuous development waaay into the future iterations of X-Plane. I can't imagine an X-Plane without it.

Cheers,

Kris

I meant to bring this up earlier, is it by design that the park brake must be applied via manipulator (mouse) followed by key-press?

Kris,

It is meant to be this way.   I can add a custom command for the parking brake...but will not tie it to any of x-plane's default brakes variables.  X-Plane uses a single variable, "parking brake" for both its regular brakes and its parking brakes.  In reality, these two are separate.....you put your feet on the brakes, then you reach down and release the parking brake so when the parking brakes are off, the regular brakes are still on till you release them with your feet.   X-Planes use of a single variable for this makes using commands a headache as something usually gives...i.e. you hit the brakes and the parking brake lever moves, etc.  

After much headache, I decided that "in the real MU2", you look and reach down, grab and turn that thing so darn it....users can too, but then you can use the keyboard to toggle the brakes on and off after the parking brake has been released......and don't get me started on folks with brake hardware who have a 'left and right' brake option.     I might find a more convenient workaround, but what I have there is the result of several folks input about what they encountered and this was the best balance I could implement at the moment.  What I have now is the closest to reality in the sequence the operation is performed.  I think in the future, (see paragraph below), I'll try and incorporate more "per product" preferences utilizing pop-up and configuration windows to handle this.

I hope that this iconic plane gets continuous development waaay into the future iterations of X-Plane. I can't imagine an X-Plane without it.

You and me both.   There are lots of "behind the scenes" developments technologically deriving from the 737 work, Saab work and some other stuff that all have applicability for future MU2 work.  I haven't been this excited about developing in a long time.   Gizmo 13 has brought unbelievable power, speed and efficiency to the development process and I have developed a lot of cool new development tools to speed things along....though most of these are for future projects since my current ones use older techniques.   Future projects will enjoy a new comprehensive sound engine (the Saab will showcase this first).....and more 2D pop-up windows for more product management and configuration options.  I have to "make the break" with the 737 to buy me the time I need to get to the MU2 though....but rest assured its my baby.

TomK

Edited by tkyler

Thanks for the comprehensive information Tom! It sounds very promising and I'm really looking forward to the golden age for X-Plane! :)

Edited by Kris Pryo

My Brakes are stuck, always on. Can't get this aircraft off the ground. It wasn't like this when I got it but now it's unusable. :(

Update:

After some reading I understand that I have to push twice on the joystick button to toggle brakes, I thought I could release the handbrake with the mouse but that did not work, had to toggle twice as well.

Edited by torfih

Thank you Tom, problems solved. This is a great aircraft to fly, keep up the good work!