Legendary IDT DC-9

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Dear Pilots,

As some of you already know, our team has started, back in summer of 2013, the DC-9 for X-Plane project. Today, I would like to give you the latest updates on that project.

1. HISTORY (in brief… of the project… not the airplane!)

Back in 2013, we’ve started DC-9 in parallel with Mykonos Airport. At one point we saw that Mykonos was advancing fast and our 2 members-team decided to finish Mykonos first. After Mykonos, we follow the proposal of Aerosoft for Manchester, so DC-9 remained for about a year almost stalled. Fast forward, as new members joined the team, we jump on Chicago O’Hare project. But this time, we decided to dedicate 1/3 of our time on DC-9. This means that the last few months the project is advancing again.

2. UPDATE (Dec 11, 2015)

No! Will not be ready for Christmas! As mentioned above, we are advancing with the project now. The status today is:

- Flight Model: We have a very good flight model, though still requires few things at the extremities of the flight envelope. We are targeting to have the most accurate possible flight model with X-Plane’s natives tools (Planemaker, Airfoil-maker) and then and the final refinements with the use of plugin system. Our goal is to be within the 5% of the published numbers of the aircraft, in the whole flight envelope.

- Exterior Model: We have the basic 3D model ready, but we need to add a ton of details yet. And liveries of course!

- Cockpit: Almost all the 3D instruments, knobs, etc. are ready with some basic texturing. And about 1/3 of them animation and manipulator ready. Specially the animation/manipulator part is intertwined with the plugin system so the will advance in parallel.

- Systems: It’s a hot topic lately about X-Plane aircrafts realism. At this point the only can be said is that everything will matter, actions will have consequences. Probably, you may have to reset some of the circuit breaker to revive a system.

- Plugin system: One of the basics aspect of this development will be the plugin system. This something that haven’t been decided yet, but we have a good idea where we heading. No more to say here.

- Equipment: Our model is based on the most popular DC-9-32 aircraft and will have the respective equipment of that era. No FMS of course. But… because we want you to enjoy our plane even flying online, we will include X-Plane’s GPS430. We haven’t decided yet if there will be the actually unit represented in 3D in the cockpit, or you will click somewhere and get the popup GPS to use. That’s the only “retrofit” that will be made.

That’s all for now! Please feel free to ask any question, except about the release date (it will take as long as it needs to be 100% ready), or about previews (images, videos, etc). We are eager to show you , but when we will have something finished first into the sim.

Best Regards

• Upvote 1

Sound amazing - especially the circuit breakers! I don't think *anyone* has done fully functioning circuit breakers yet (discounting the PMDG DC-6 as that's still unreleased and we don't know how well it will be done) so that is a very important feature if you stick to it!

My biggest question right now - Will we get Grey or green for our flight deck? ;) Oh and hey, that GNS430 up on the coaming could be a tip for the retrofit... :D

73962759.XBLnmnXh.jpgDC-9_Cockpit.jpg

Edited by jiggyb2

Thanks mate!

Circuit breakers is not in my opinion the hardest think to simulate. That said, it does not mean that in every flight you have to trip CBs all the time! In contrary, you will barely see this happened. And we are not going to introduce random failures, rather failures as a logical consequence of what's happening. But, we want to have that factor in the pilots consideration, because that looked the life back then. Today, systems are way more reliable, so it's not that big factor.

Cockpit color will be in accordance with livery. What the airline was using? For fictional liveries haven't been considered yet.

Actually is already there! (the GPS)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Thanks mate!

Circuit breakers is not in my opinion the hardest think to simulate. That said, it does not mean that in every flight you have to trip CBs all the time! In contrary, you will barely see this happened. And we are not going to introduce random failures, rather failures as a logical consequence of what's happening. But, we want to have that factor in the pilots consideration, because that looked the life back then. Today, systems are way more reliable, so it's not that big factor.

Cockpit color will be in accordance with livery. What the airline was using? For fictional liveries haven't been considered yet.

Actually is already there! (the GPS)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe not, but when nobody else has done CBs you're still breaking new ground :D 

Little touches like making the Flight Deck the right colour for an airline... this sounds amazing guys!

Oh and good with the GPS! Your suggestion you weren't sure where it should go suggested you hadn't added it yet!

• Upvote 2

Ugh, why must you torture me with the concept of working circuit breakers!? D:

The only thing I can think of with working CBs is the AirFoilLabs C172, and that doesn't have nearly as many circuit breakers as the DC9. I can't wait to see the future of this project! (And don't worry, I'll stay away from the P-40 :P )

-VETTE

• Upvote 1

Maybe not, but when nobody else has done CBs you're still breaking new ground :D

Little touches like making the Flight Deck the right colour for an airline... this sounds amazing guys!

Oh and good with the GPS! Your suggestion you weren't sure where it should go suggested you hadn't added it yet!

About GPS. It's a "dummy" one already in the cockpit (still you can click on the screen and get the popup - default behaviour thanks to Laminar!), mostly to check the placement and the visual interference. We've also tested the 530, but was covering almost all the middle front window!   

Ugh, why must you torture me with the concept of working circuit breakers!? D:

The only thing I can think of with working CBs is the AirFoilLabs C172, and that doesn't have nearly as many circuit breakers as the DC9. I can't wait to see the future of this project! (And don't worry, I'll stay away from the P-40 :P )

-VETTE

About CBs. Expect only the main items to be covered. You will not need to worry for the... lavatory lighting!

About GPS. It's a "dummy" one already in the cockpit (still you can click on the screen and get the popup - default behaviour thanks to Laminar!), mostly to check the placement and the visual interference. We've also tested the 530, but was covering almost all the middle front window!   

About CBs. Expect only the main items to be covered. You will not need to worry for the... lavatory lighting!

Great! I'm so stoked for this plane. As much as I can't wait for this plane, I'm happy that you're waiting to finish the plane before release. Way too many devs put an airplane out much earlier than they should to get it out faster, and I'm happy to see that you guys will be getting it done AND THEN releasing it :)

-VETTE

PS: You don't need any testers, do you? :P

Edited by -VETTE

Great news! i love the DC-9, I flew countless times in them, and back in the days of FS8 and FS9 (before I discovered X-Plane) I mostly only used a good old DC-9 for all my flying fun. Having yet another retro jet in the hangar is something i'm woking forward to and the DC-9 fits my flying preferences like a charm.. 

• 1 month later...