Eurocopter EC-120B

Hey boys,

Just got a converted EC-120B over at x-plane.ch. Original model was by propsman over at the .org. Original model is made for X-Plane 8 but there was a nice guy who optimized it for X-Plane 10. New airfoils and textures are all good. There is really nothing special about the exterior. It is accurate but lacks eye candy, some texture regions are still lacking some touch to it.

The 3D cockpit is something to really go "wow" about though. Nearly all systems work and the Eurocopter patent Engine info system is modelled as realistically as X-Plane permits. Instrument reflection is realistic. The cockpit looks like one you'd expect from a payware model!

Taking off at a helipad at NZCH, the flightmodel is instantly felt. There is no overpowered feel to it, as you might expect from a converted model from an old version. It is all good and flies fresh, I am no Eurocopter pilot but the flying dynamics and definately believable. I flown across the mountains with great presicion. Flying low and fast at a speed of around 130 knots, this helicopter has characteristic. It has slight torque but it is well balanced, due to the stability agumentation system Eurocopter has to offer. It is really stable on the hover and at fast forward flight. There is also a very realistic yaw reversal when you put the collective pitch back down for a hover or a landing. Taking it back for a return to the helipad, I slowed the craft down to 60 knots for the approach onto the helipad. One "flare" and smooth collective correction and we are down with just a slight slide forwards. This is a highly recommended product for any beginner in helicopters like myself. It is stable and easy to fly.

URL: http://www.xplane.ch/helicoptere/downloads.php?do=file&id=61

No photos, sorry guys.

I'm really wondering if Alex Gifford ( propsman ) would allow us to improve it to today's standard.

I would be very happy modelling a new spheriflex rotorhead and blades, as well as a detailed fenestron. If someone is skilled and loves that too, an updated 3D cockpit and of course global textures in HD would be very welcome.

• 3 years later...