jagipson

Throttle Quadrant settings for throttles

Forgive me if I somehow missed this in the docs -- I've read them multiple times, and I'm predisposed to male-pattern blindness.

Does the MU-2b behave this way for everyone who uses a throttle?:

When I throttle down from 100% to 0% (Joystick throttle position) the MU-2b throttle stops half way down (where the Beta/Reverse range begins). Then you can press the Beta/Reverse button and move the throttle from 0% to 100% (Joystick throttle position) and the MU-2b throttle goes from the half-way point (just below flight-idle) down to max reverse.

The way I formerly had my saitek throttle quadrant configured was that when moving the throttle lever just below 0% (yes, there IS a below 0% - it acts like a button press, while the axis continues to transmit 0%) I had the throttle button associated with that position toggle reverse mode. Anyone else do this?

I wanted the joystick throttle to act the same as the graphical cockpit so I coded a modification to Joan's xJoyMap plugin and made an ini file for the airplane so that beta/reverse starts at the 50%. Now my throttle always corresponds to the graphical cockpit throttle. Has anyone else managed to configure their throttle to correspond without having to do this?

I use my Saitek quadrant as you described and the behavior in the MOO is the same. Not perfect - but it does work for me.

Does your new setup mean that you will just slip into beta /reverse range when pulling back to less than 50%?

Seems very risky to me...

Flo

To me, the throttle quadrant will always be a weak spot unless you pretty  much build your own.  When I first did the MU2, I wanted to recreate the "natural motion" of pulling the levers back into beta to manage taxi-speed.  Of course joysticks don't have detents and even though there is a setting in planemaker whereby you can tell your joystick that the lower half of the throttle motion should be "reverse"....without the detent, you usually end up accidentally going into reverse while flying and that is a deal killer.   The current system of using a keystroke to 'toggle" in and out of reverse is a concession to the limitations of hardware and is a method the majority of users are comfortable with.

Not being a big hardware guy though,  I made it so at least I could use my mouse/trackball to grab the handles in sim and this is my preferred method while taxiing.  A trackball is a bit easier to use than a mouse for this type of operation though as it doesn't "slide off the table" and you don't have to "pick it up" to move it around if you run out of travel....so with a trackball, the manip movement is very very natural for the throttles and this shaped my methodology.

Knowing, of course, that most would not do it this way though, I made sure it worked like the default aircraft using the toggle reverse key.   For folks who want their hardware to mimic the animation....that is probably 1 in 500...and I am one of those but until I can build my own with detents, nothing else will really be right so I'm happy to live with the default for the time being.

Has anyone else managed to configure their throttle to correspond without having to do this?

yes, there is a setting in plane-maker where you can tell x-plane to make the lower half of your throttle travel beta/reverse...just set both the beta and reverse ratio fields to 0.50.  These values are specifically to map joystick travel to x-plane's throttle/reverse.

post-5-0-63265400-1371573406_thumb.jpg

Edited by tkyler

I use my Saitek quadrant as you described and the behavior in the MOO is the same. Not perfect - but it does work for me.

Does your new setup mean that you will just slip into beta /reverse range when pulling back to less than 50%?

Seems very risky to me...

Flo

Yes... risky and... realistic, maybe? I don't know how the real MU2 throttle works -- there's probably a detent, but my throttle now works as animated on the screen. You definitely have to keep an eye on your torque. Below 10% you run the risk of entering beta.

Can one set the beta <0.5 and reverse <0.25? Would that work in theory?

That would work fine, but there really is no reason to do that as it does not mimic reality at all.   You would end up with 25% of your level travel where you would have a positive thrust and the lever would be fully ineffective in that range to alter anything.  The whole, "beta and reverse" thing with x-plane is not a good model at all of turboprops beta operation.   If you were to set both at 0.5, besides the lack of detent, you get behavior that is the most accurate compared to a real MU-2.  I have put in a little bit of 'wiggle room' at the detent so you can watch the lever kind of "snap" into position..but if you don't have the lever in view, you have to keep an eye on the torque as jagipson mentions.

TomK

Edited by tkyler