LES DC-3 Livery Request

eaglewing7

Hi Leen, I thnink Im gonna need a bigger airfield to put these extra hangars!!!!

Looking forward to all releases from both of you guys......best damn painters anywhere (oh, and Theo of course must be added in this list.......)!

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

Hello Leen, hello Gjalp,

thanks very much for the compliments.

Just downloaded the C-GPNR for a short flight – Leen thats so amazing, really love yours too!!! Great work – exterior, cockpit and cabin really show the appearance of Buffalo's very special DC3s.

Iv'e added some further shots of the C-GWIR and ZK-AMY, included some close ups. Maybe can send some of our current heat here to New Zealand, to warm up Your cold winter days, Gjalp.

For fuselage and wing files i checked out the 4K resolution, which allows really high detail. As all the rivets and platelines, as i created them, are vector-based, scaling the whole thing up with full advantage of the higher resolution was just simple. It's really a great difference comparing to the Swissair with it's 2K exterior paint files i think, and the basics are almost the same.

So still a couple of things to do with both of them, finetunig the letterings, smootting transitions of wings and fuselage, adding the two (fake) windows, details round the front escape hatch on the right hand side for the AMY – and cockpit and cabin files. Normals and speculars will need some modifications too, and i'm always excited about checking out further details that can be achieved with this.

So- it's been getting late.... hope you like the pictures added.

Greetings from Munich

Andreas

post-8734-0-37981700-1371679753_thumb.pnpost-8734-0-91621500-1371679804_thumb.pnpost-8734-0-89721900-1371679832_thumb.pnpost-8734-0-08099500-1371679866_thumb.pnpost-8734-0-49856200-1371679886_thumb.pn

post-8734-0-66079800-1371679908_thumb.pnpost-8734-0-23799600-1371679939_thumb.pnpost-8734-0-49040600-1371679976_thumb.pn

Amen to that Andy.

Brilliant !!

They name it normals , I think its not normal , its magic.
Andreas, I really think Goran should ask for your normals , to be used in a future update/upgrade of this plane.

This is ultimate artwork.

Best normals I have ever seen !!!!!

Edited by Leen de Jager

Hello Leen,

hello Gjalp,

Thanks a lot for your compliments, really appreciate that.

Yes you're right, normals are really magic indeed, and absolutely fascinating, allowing to create an additional surface with all those details.

And i want to thank you for the discussions Leen, your hint about the real DC3 you saw and that the surface is not so perfectly aligned at all. Without that (and your outstanding paintwork) these liveries wouldn't be what they are now. (Probably i would have stopped at the state of the "Rosinenbomber" as a base for further paintings) I remembered that there are two DC3s on display round Munich (which have been a very good reference) and i went on in reworking and improving the whole thing.

So - thanks a lot

Andreas

• 1 month later...

Hello,

it's been some time, till now i've almost finished the exterior of ZK-AMY. Changes are mostly in the details, as further adjusted detail in the normals of rudder, elevators and ailerons, fine tuning of letterings and fuselage paint, and some more.

Finally i realized (rather late, while checking the pictures) that the AMY isn't fitted with the double layered plates in the front part of the fuselage, giving some more protection from the prop blades in case of an accident. It's some kind of special, almost all DC3s are equipped with these plates, the AMY is not. 

Will go on with the cockpit and interior next - and keep you informed.

Added some pictures of WIP, placed in the Christchurch scenery by chris k, to show her in her home environment. This scenery is a really amazing one (though it brings my old machine – first MacPro, 2006 – to it's limits in addition with the DC3 and 4K paint files). Guess i will explore it some times in the default C172. 

Greetings from Munich

Andreas

post-8734-0-36574400-1374930377_thumb.pnpost-8734-0-65885400-1374930407_thumb.pnpost-8734-0-44255800-1374930445_thumb.pnpost-8734-0-02325000-1374930483_thumb.pnpost-8734-0-15059300-1374930536_thumb.pnpost-8734-0-51153500-1374930575_thumb.pnpost-8734-0-89017500-1374930596_thumb.pnpost-8734-0-72420400-1374930767_thumb.pnpost-8734-0-03268000-1374930676_thumb.pn

I believe the additional layer of metal on the fuselage, that you are referring to, is for protection when icing is encountered.  The idea being that, when you deice the propellers, either with alcohol or electric heaters, the ice will then start shedding from the blades, when that occurs, the ice can often be thrown against the side of the fuselage.  To protect the fuselage from these ice projectiles, additional layers of metal were added.

A good example of this can be seen on C-46 C-FAVO:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3557/3682606257_2fd0d2dc54_o.jpg

Hello Gjalp,

thanks for the compliments, glad you like it. I really enjoy making this livery paint.

Added a screenshot of the cockpit. It's all still in progess, nothing's finished yet, but it gives a first impression.

post-8734-0-63142900-1375023330_thumb.pn

Hello eaglewing7,

yes, that makes much more sense. I always was not so convinced with my explanation, as an additional layer of Aluminium wouldn't give much more protection from heavy strikes. This would also explain the deep dents, the german Rosinenbomber D-CXXX has around it's front door.

Both to bee seen on this picture of the Rosinenbomber after it's crash-landing in Berlin in 2010:

http://www.bz-berlin.de/multimedia/archive/00270/rosinenbomber-besu_27010728.jpg

Greetings from Munich

Andreas

If a propeller decides to break free, it's going to come through the fuselage, there's not much you can do about it, other than hope it's well ahead or behind where your sitting.

As for the dents in the photo of the Rosinenbomber, that could be from ice breaking off, or it could be from the crash, and debris being flung up.  Or, it could also be stress related fatigue in the metal, sort of like crumple damage on a car after an accident.  The tear in the fuselage is probably from a propeller blade...

Oops missed your post eaglewing! :P

From what I remember the "plates" protect the fuselage from ice that may be flung from props.  Some aircraft use rubber strips; if left unpainted they're usually black.

Edited by Airbus

The dents in the fuselage are not caused by the crash landing. I checked a lot of photos of the Rosinenbomber for making it's livery, and they can be seen on all of them. I always wondered about these deep dents, beeing caused by ice breaking from the prop blades seems to be a good explanation for me.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

not yet, sorry for that. I'm on a three weeks vacation at the time ( travelling around California, it's absolutely awesome here). Before that my job and real life didn't leave me enough time for carrying on with the ZK-AMY. So i hope i will have some time when i'm back home end of next week.

greetings from Monterey

Andreas

Hello, yes your'e right, we're really enjoying our travel, great and interresting country, lovely and nice people. Shure have to come here once again, to have much more time exploring exciting San Francisco- and there's such a lot of things and places left to see.

BWolf7, thanks for the invitation, unfortunately we have allready passed Palo Alto on our way from LA to SF. Now we're headin back south along the coast on Hgw #1 back to LA, further on to Las Vegas, from where we will make a roundtrip over Grand Canyon.

Cheers and greetings

Andreas