be warned, helicopters ONLY :-)

blacky75

Same here, I can't make ANY helicopter to lift off the ground. The only "choper" I can somewhat fly is the Osprey...

Your controller can make all the difference too.  When I first had twist-grip joystick I found it a nightmare trying to control yaw on a heli. You end up with your hand/wrist at very unnatural angles and it hurts.  God knows what it's like for non twist-grip joysticks.  Ergo, for the first 6 years (out of my 10 on xplane) I only flew planes and couldn't fly helis at all.

As a basic minimum you really need something dedicated to the task, like a Warthog, or you can use something like a cheap $25 rc-controller which you will be familiar with if you fly rc planes or rc helicopters.

Those two options make flying helis much much more of a pleasure and less of an ordeal.

And forget trying to fly a heli just with a mouse...... :)

Your controller can make all the difference too.  When I first had twist-grip joystick I found it a nightmare trying to control yaw on a heli. You end up with your hand/wrist at very unnatural angles and it hurts.  God knows what it's like for non twist-grip joysticks.  Ergo, for the first 6 years (out of my 10 on xplane) I only flew planes and couldn't fly helis at all.

As a basic minimum you really need something dedicated to the task, like a Warthog, or you can use something like a cheap $25 rc-controller which you will be familiar with if you fly rc planes or rc helicopters.

Those two options make flying helis much much more of a pleasure and less of an ordeal.

And forget trying to fly a heli just with a mouse...... :)

I only have a mouse so...

hi all...

flying a heli is just a thing of patience... Don't forget that with a joystick, and I struggled alot too at my beginnings here, it gives far more input as needed because of its shortness.... a heli stick is much longer, so very small input on those are already enough... on the short computer stick it becomes very hard to get those very little, MUCH more little input (and I guess yes, a high qual joy makes it easier as they are much more precise and won't crackle around)

So don't give it up... I'd recomment, for the first heli, to get the Mi2, or the MD902. They are quite stable (compared to the R22, Bell or AS350...!!!), which doesn't mean you won't need an everytime joy-input to get it stable... on the joystick options under x-plane, put all 6 bars (3 left, 3 right), at their maximum right side, and it will smoothen your first normal brutal inputs. Forget about planes, it's all about feeling. Of course the Track-IR makes it 'easier' to get what's going on, but it's doable without.

So, remember, bigger helicopters will be easier due to their inertia to start with and less frustrting  (didn't said you won't crash it a few times ;-) ). Now if you insist on the R22 as a starter, once mastered, the others will alllll be easy... but, its learning curve will be much, much steaper... In the heli, you change only ONE parameter (stick, rudder, throttle, collective,...) , only one, and all others need to be changed too to counter the first input... just a thing of habbit. I read somewhere that in real live, a clean hovering in an R22 is achieved after generally at least 16 hours of training... why should you get it done in 5 minutes?!

good luck and most important: Have Fun ;-)

with mouse and keyboard....? forget that... (my opinion)

EDIT: Oh I forgot to mention: it MIGHT look clean on the video, but I assure you that I'm still unable, in one attempt, to come down from altitude on a very specific given spot... I miss it always and have to turn around. Autoration? Depends on which heli, and not 100% garanty I make it in one piece :-)

Edited by blacky75

This is what I use, might be worth looking into if you want to utilise helis - $20.

eskyflightsimulator_a.jpg

http://www.toysonics.com/esky-usb-2.0-4ch-flight-simulator-rc-helicopter-airplane-ek2-0905a.html

Left stick up/down = throttle/collective

Left stick left/right= yaw left/yaw right

Right stick = cyclics rotor disk

Comes with subtrims - great for helis not equipped.

Edited by Nicola_M
  • Upvote 1

I somehow manage to fly helis with a flight yoke and do farely well then again i don't find mouse aim much of a challenge either and as far as track ir goes i've gotten so used to moving my view with the hat switch on my yoke that when i do surround visuals with all of my pc's i still find myself using the hat switch to look around so i actually still have a very good idea of what's going on

I somehow manage to fly helis with a flight yoke and do farely well then again i don't find mouse aim much of a challenge either and as far as track ir goes i've gotten so used to moving my view with the hat switch on my yoke that when i do surround visuals with all of my pc's i still find myself using the hat switch to look around so i actually still have a very good idea of what's going on

it's not a must have, the track IR to fly... but only once you got it, you can't live without it anymore...  :-)