Newbie Silly Question - Whats up with the MACOSX

Fortkentdad

I love free stuff and have downloaded a few files for my X-Plane program.  Some come with an entry to be put into MACOSX and some don't.  What's this file for?  I'm guessing it may have something to do with running Xplane on an Apple system (MAC - OS ?) or not?  I'm using Windows but faithful extract and upload the Macosx files if they come with the download, do I need to or is this as I suspect for the MAC users out there? 

• 2 weeks later...

Im Mac user, and i use x-plane 10, and its just cause i think Macs are the best, sorry windows ive had enough of virus screens and freezes. for me when i download a file, the computer makes a zip file, which it basically unzips the file that you downloaded so that you can reach the folder for what your looking for.

Development for X-Plane in OSX is fantastic and fluid. The build-in graphics-friendly tools are great, and well, spotlight simply rocks for finding things buried somewhere in my custom scenery hierachies.

Quick loads, can have both WED and XP10 loaded; OSX is always responsive for task switching, even after Ive completely killed my VRAM ;)

Then use Windows/Linux for the actual "flying" of the sim for the FPS speed.

But yes, for dev work - you cant fault OSX for this. Smooth as butter.

- CK,

Development for X-Plane in OSX is fantastic and fluid. The build-in graphics-friendly tools are great, and well, spotlight simply rocks for finding things buried somewhere in my custom scenery hierachies.

Quick loads, can have both WED and XP10 loaded; OSX is always responsive for task switching, even after Ive completely killed my VRAM ;)

Then use Windows/Linux for the actual "flying" of the sim for the FPS speed.

But yes, for dev work - you cant fault OSX for this. Smooth as butter.

I think I must be the only person to ever go from Mac to Windows.. For developing, I love my PC. It crashes a little more sure, but the amount of programs that I can use in Windows 7 that aren't available on Mac makes the clear winner, a PC.

Though i'd rather use a Mac for day to day use.

I think I must be the only person to ever go from Mac to Windows.. For developing, I love my PC. It crashes a little more sure, but the amount of programs that I can use in Windows 7 that aren't available on Mac makes the clear winner, a PC.

Though i'd rather use a Mac for day to day use.

I came back to Windows as well.  And that was after over 7 years of giving it my best shot for personal use.  TBH, is was Vista made me switch to the "Dark Side."   :lol:

As a trader for nearly 3 decades and a fund manager, I need a reliable platform and have yet to see a single trading floor or prop desk anywhere with even a single Mac on it.  I build my own machines now and install a clean copy of the OS on them.  It's the prebuilt machine with all the preloaded BS on them that give most the bad taste.  Before I built my own machines, I learned to simply bring the prebuilt machine home, format the drives and start over.  I had much better results that way.

As with PhM's experience, I can't remember the last time any of my equipment crashed.  Believe me I would remember, because it would have been an incredibly expensive event.

The kernel panics and SBBOD's on the Mac were no less annoying.

Edited by SqrtOfNegOne