Propellers with Saitek

Neurus

So, I know how the J32 works (control lock and the "load another plane" thing before you exit). That's fine. I don't like it, I don't think it's worth (as opposed to Javier) but I can live with it, opinions are like colors, we all like different ones :)

But… the question is, if I will lose the normal axis for my Propeller, and if version 1.03 has a button in the joke to "assign axis while inside J32", how am I supposed to do it? Because I turn it green and I can't assign propeller to my Saitek Throttle Quadrant.

I select Prop1 (or anything) in Joysticks and Assignments after turning the option "green", and it instantly switches back to none, regardless of the yoke button  (orange or yellow). 

The end result is that I cannot use my Saitek hardware to control the aircraft's propeller (I do, however use the mouse as a work around).

What did I miss?? (I've read the manual, but couldn't find a reference to this, other than the usual instructions about choosing another plane, etc.).

Thanks.

But… the question is, if I will lose the normal axis for my Propeller, and if version 1.03 has a button in the joke to "assign axis while inside J32", how am I supposed to do it? Because I turn it green and I can't assign propeller to my Saitek Throttle Quadrant.

I select Prop1 (or anything) in Joysticks and Assignments after turning the option "green", and it instantly switches back to none, regardless of the yoke button  (orange or yellow). 

The end result is that I cannot use my Saitek hardware to control the aircraft's propeller (I do, however use the mouse as a work around).

What did I miss?? .

It's by design. See this post

Javier says: (refering to joystick Prop control).

The Prop is deleted since 1.01 as you can read in addendum.

Also, as an extra work-a-round, you can assign "keys" to move the Prop control if you wish as well as the "mouse". :)

cessna729.

Yes, you understand it correctly. If you like, I'm sure Javier can clarify further, but he did do this for a reason. :)
heheheh no need, I'm sure he had his own reasons, one of those being that he doesn't really have a hardware throttle quadrant :) I do however, being a programmer myself, believe that there has got to be a workaround this, but the plane is good as it is with the programming knowledge he had at the time. I don't think this is too important, otherwise there'd be loads of emails! (and Saitek would be rich) :) Thanks for the clarification, at least I'm not doing anything wrong. Martin. Edited by Neurus

Neurus. Are your referring to the prop pitch or throttle control? Prop Pitch on a lot of turbo props, you do not really adjust in flight. They're is usually is an control system for it. 

Prop control. 

I'm aware of the fact that in most turbo props you do not adjust in flight, but you do adjust for ground operations or feathering. While this is keyboard-doable and/or mouse doable, having the hardware adds realism and speed of reaction for a more real experience. For some programming obscure reason, this is not possible on the J32, that's fine. Other features out-weight this simple issue. 

:)

Thanks for jumping in. 

Yes.. there is some "obscure" reason to not let people manage the props with joystick.. but as said.. there is no need to change them in flight. From taxi to flight is easy to do with the mouse.. and it is only once to do. Or two times when you land again.

And if you have an engine failure, aren't you supposed to pull back the prop of the offending engine? Just curious.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'd just like to add to this topic.... First I'd like to mention that from a programming standpoint I think it is poor form to modify any user's axis assignments at all.  Find another way to do your stick pusher modification or don't do it - this is just bad!  

Next the propeller axis.  I spent an entire night trying to "fix" my propeller axis assignments after they quit working (yes they were working with  my throttle quadrant initially).  I pulled all the plugins out of the plugins folder, reset all my preferences, reloaded other planes a bunch of times, exited and restarted xplane innumerable times all trying to chase down a ghost.

A little more clarity in the manual would be well appreciated here.  It might mention something vaguely about the propeller axis being deleted but it is not clear that you CAN'T assign the propeller axis to a joystick function and that you MUST use your mouse or keyboard to manipulate the levers.  In addition there is nothing in the current manual about what all the extra buttons on the yoke do - such as the radio hardware, joystick assign and the other buttons.  

Make no mistake this is an awesome plane and you did an amazing job modelling everything and paying attention to detail when it comes to the graphics - and the lighting is unbelievable.   It's just when you're paying for a product you expect it to be complete.  A few minor changes in the manual could save users a TON of time messing around.  

And yes I did and do read the manuals on planes like this.  I enjoy going through the manual and learning about the advanced systems.  The information was just not clear enough.

Thanks.

Rich