Cozumel Island

scubajuan_new

All right, here we go... After fiddling around converting sceneries learning as I go, making repaints for third party planes mostly for personal use, although I shared a couple so far, I decided to embark on my first original project.

I want to start moderately with one small airfield in the Mexican Caribbean Island of Cozumel. It features 2 airports. The MMCZ International airport and a small Airfield that doesn't even come with the default Global Scenery.

This airfield is home of the Cozumel Air Show and recently the place for Fred Cabanas last flight. In Memory of Freddy...

http://cabanasaerobatics.com/category/videos/#ooid=A3c21oODpjfNA0ntEM-mdHb7CM7HsrjA Last video on the page

I have not use some of the tools that I will need for this task but I am determined to lear by doing. 

I chose this not only for the love to the Island since I lived there many years, but because It will allow me the opportunity to grow in developing skills: First I want to do the Cap. Eduardo Toledo airfield and then continue with the International Airport with its Air Force Base and then whole Island with its beautiful coastline, landmarks and stuff. I should have a lot of fun learning as I go. 

Edit:

I was not able to post a direct link to the tribute video

Edited by scubajuan_new
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Scott. short answer is No. I have a converted version which I do not have the permissions to release. I have a few other projects right now that take precedence , but I have been gathering a lot of useful resources and when I decide to start this, it will be my baby. I have obtained a permission for 2 foto sessions of both the military and the comercial sections, I just need to get there my self and do some diving as well. 

• 2 years later...

Well well well. This topic is more than 3 years old, and a lot has happened since originally posted. I embarked in other projects, some solo and other in collaboration with others. I have learned a lot in the process and there is still a lot more to learn. But all along my heart has always remained in my second home, the Cozumel Island. Is my favorite destination and my first choice for flying with X-Plane. VFR just around the island, short jumps to or from other airports in the area, longer hauls anywhere on the US East coast or the Caribbean, and even Canada. I converted an old scenery which has served me well until now, but at this point I can't stand the low quality and inaccuracies of the old conversion, so I decided to resucite the initiative and make a full scenery of the entire island, The International airport with the airfforce base at the heart of the project, but it will certainly include a perfectly detailed and accurate Aerodrome Cap. Eduardo Toledo, home of the Cozumel Aeroshow. Also will embark in the creation of all major landmarks, Marine terminals, marinas, shopping centers, plazas, churches, light houses, hotels etc., Full orthophotos with water to depict the beautiful sea that surrounds the island and of course my old house :) 
Here is a preview of the international airport, Is still a long way to go but this part is almost complete. All the vegetation and airport grounds are still a WIP and ground textures are just a place holders so bare with me, there are bits and pieces that are not complete, this is just to show what I'm going after . Any comments and feed back is welcome, but refrain to ask for a release date, at this stage not even God knows ;) 

VIZ_0002.png

VIZ_0006.png

VIZ_0010.png

VIZ_0012.png

VIZ_0013.png

VIZ_0011.png

VIZ_0008.png

VIZ_0007.png

Edited by scubajuan_new
  • Upvote 6

1 minute ago, geronimopilot said:

Next task the hotel zone in Cancun perhaps?:P

A friend of mine is working on an amazing Cancun scenery, airport and city. At least the hotel zone. I'll let him do Cancun, and when Cozumel is done, I might do Playa del Carmen and perhaps all the way to Tulum to have a nice Mayan Riviera. I have an old Merida scenery which makes a nice short flight from Cozumel. In the old days Mexicana was the only airline flying to Cozumel from Mexico City, and did so with a stop over at Merida. I did that flight so many times and continue to do in X-Plane. I've done the entire peninsula with G2XPL and would love to have all the scenery to go with it :) But hey!  Cozumel first and then we'll see ;)

6 minutes ago, geronimopilot said:

Can you share the peninsula G2XPL? Or where can I find it? I am ready to purchase when you ready!!!!

Is technically illegal to share, besides, is at Z18 which takes a lot of space. somewhere in the vicinity of 60GB, don't remember now but is huge. Goes all the way to the Gulf of Honduras. Is not perfect since some areas are in poor quality, clouds and other artifacts. but I get to see all the landmarks that I'm familiar with and is great for VFR around the area. 
You could generate it your self either with G2XPL or Orthos2XP 

17 hours ago, letec said:

Very nice work! I hope now, nothing stands in the way as in the project MMMX. Upon completion of the Cozumel airport. Next will be ....MMMX ......?? :D:D

In this case MMCZ does not depend on anyone but be, I am committed to complete, so No, is not the same case. MMMX, originally was the T2G version. I have redone a big portion on my own. Still there is a lot to be replaced and when done will, not include any of the T2G version. I also have good resources to make a Mérida airport (MMMD). Is close to Cozumel and is my preferred flight. Along with Cancun and perhaps the small fields at Playa del Carmen and Chichen Itza, but is too far ahead to even talk about it. I am working as much as I can in Cozumel and progress is steady. Will post some in sim pictures when the International section of the airports complete. Then the Air Force base. This is quite small and uniform, although there are a few items that require special attention, like static aircraft both on the ramp and at the entrance. I'll try to make them with as little polygons as posible but need to make them look right:
52830375.jpg

c05j.jpg
safe-tours-cozumel.jpg

monumento-al-escuadron-201_9090041.jpg
300815243c9833dmed.jpg

Hello scubajuan_new!

You are killing me here ;) Of the pictures you show, one of the aircraft is an A Model North American T-28A which sits at the Cozumel entrance and I believe it is right below the approach end of either 11 or 23?. I just recently sold my T-28A after I spent 7 years restoring it. I kind of regret selling it...very cool airplane to fly :mellow: It actually served the Mexican Air Force back in the 1960's....very cool pictures thanks for sharing.

Yes indeed there are two T-28C Trojans and one T-33A Shooting Star at the military base entrance right under the Rwy11 approach path, imposible to miss if you are landing on Rwy 11. The airport was built during WWII as a look out for german submarines. A submarine sank a mexican ship in the gulf and Mexico entered the war sending a squadron of planes to the Pacific, the squadron was the "Escuadrón 201" which base was (and still is) Cozumel. I believe the "Aztec Eagles" flew P-47D Thunderbolts and not the Trojans during the war though. Recently a monument was built in Cozumel in memory of those who fought. Proudly an uncle of mine was a captain in that group who fought in the liberation of the Philippines. He later died when the DC-3 he was flying crashed in the mountains in Chiapas.
Unfortunately during the second day of activities during this year's edition of the Cozumel Airshow, the acrobatic pilot Juan Miguel Garcia Salas from Guatemala crashed in an Extra300L, and in 2013 Fred Cabanas also crashed (not during the show) in a Bellanca Decathlon. Also have the intention of modeling and painting their planes with their registrations and colors and place them in the aerodrome's ramp as tribute for them.

scubajuan_new

My wife and I were there the day before Juan perished.....we shared a few cervezas with him after he flew his practice routine on Saturday. Some very good friends of our own a magazine called World Airshow News - we met them there at MMCZ for the day and they introduced us to all the Cozumel Airshow pilots....great experience on a fabulous airport. Sad Sunday.....very sad hearing about Juan....that is him on the left in the yellow shirt.

IMG_1316.JPG

• Upvote 1

I loved the Cozumel Airshow. I had the opportunity to attend several times, but living in Belgium now, is complicated. Is a very nice little airport, and many amazing pilots have performed there. I used to work at Chankanaab Park and very time they were practicing I would stop doing whatever it was that i was doing to watch closely the performances. For the aerodrome I only have one of the buildings modeled no real textures yet, I want to complete the airport and military base first but could not resist to attack the club house. And now that I know that there will be someone paying special attention to those Trojans, will perhaps spend extra time making them look like the real thing :)
It'd be fun to meet someday in Cozumel, have a few beers, go scuba diving and enjoy hours of aviation conversation. 

VIZ_0020.png

VIZ_0019.png

Edited by scubajuan_new