How do I restart engine in flight?

MAYBE I found a problem, I was saying that the fuel just stopped flowing and I saw the temperature of fuel below 0 deg Celsius.

I  closed OIL COOLER FLAPS and reset the failures in X-Plane.

It seemed to work, then I switched to  OIL COOLER FLAPS on AUTO and lost an engine again.

I closed them again, reset the failures in X-Plane and it worked again but with the OIL COOLER FLAPS SHUT.

Is it possible that it could be a cause?

I also have noticed that outside temperature was about - 30 deg Celsius ( negative)

Cheers, AJ 

mmmmm be careful with the new break of engines.. they just stop not burn. If you reset the failures then what you are making is more or less cheat. (but to save a life that is good!)

Also ice.. be careful with ice. I don't know how xplane it self control the engines with icing conditions.

To start engines. Switch to Air and the rest like the ground part.

Javier, I know what you mean by cheating but I have tried to do what you said, I switched to AIR start and followed the steps, no luck.

I have a feeling that shutting the OIL COOLER FLAPS had something to do with preventing engine loss.

With such a low outside temperature , maybe OIL COOLER FLAPS needs to stay shut but the AUTO should also work.

Hmmm, with such a complex plane as far as X-Plane model, there might be many factors that are just sitting inside the X-plane logic.

What I will try to do is to take off and watch the oil temperature with OIL COOLER FLAPS on AUTO, if it drops close to 0 C, I will shut them.

This is all soooo amazing and realistic , I was sweating like I would in real life to make the flight and safely land.

Cheers, AJ 

If it makes a difference, arb, I've noticed in (v1.02) that the auto setting for oil cooler flaps leaves them open the entire flight. My recollection is that the normal operating temperature is somewhere between 55 and 100. Generally, I open them for run up and takeoff, then manually close them once I'm well into the climb and nearing cruise altitude. If I remember, I will re-open them on the descent, but I don't always remember. :S  So far I haven't had a problem.

Yeah, normal operating range is between 55 and 100C. Oil Cooler Flaps to Auto/Normal should automatically close the oil cooler flaps when the temperature is getting too low. Minimum required for takeoff is 55C as well, and you should have no problem reaching this even with an outside temperature of -20 or -25C on the ground (speaking from experience :P). At level with temperatures down to -40C I've yet to see oil temperature go below 60C. Cold weather is lovely, great performance.

As an aside, I've often wondered how cold the cockpit is when the flight crew first gets in it in the morning. Say you're in MSP or someplace similar around February. Do the ground crews pre-heat the interior? How long does it take the climate control system to get it comfortable?  Edit: And another thing (as I'm flying around Turkey at night time)...are the panel labels and instrument lights really *that* yellow in the real-world JS32?

Edited by cruster

As an aside, I've often wondered how cold the cockpit is when the flight crew first gets in it in the morning. Say you're in MSP or someplace similar around February. Do the ground crews pre-heat the interior? How long does it take the climate control system to get it comfortable?  Edit: And another thing (as I'm flying around Turkey at night time)...are the panel labels and instrument lights really *that* yellow in the real-world JS32?

Don't know about MSP, but I do know that after leaving the aircraft for 6 hours in -20C without heater, the aircraft is freaking cold. As in, put on some gloves or your hand will freeze to the yoke cold. In our operation we have heaters hooked up to the ground power heating the aircraft most of the time in cold, cold weather. To get the cabin to a decent temperature takes anywhere between 5-15 minutes.

And no, the instruments and labels are not that yellow. The instrument lighting is a bit of artistic liberty in the add-on I suppose. The instruments themselves usually just have one or two simple light bulbs integrated or sticking out of the panel to provide some illumination. There's a panel flood below the glareshield which helps illuminating any text labels, a general cockpit flood behind and above the captain's seat and the lines and buttons you see lit up on the skirt panels and overhead are a bit more white in the real aircraft.

Thank you for the input , Gentlemen.

As far as the Oil Cooler Flaps setting to Auto/Normal/Shut, I have tested it in the flight and did not see a major difference but few degrees.

Unfortunately I DID lose an engine again during the test flight climbing up to 21,000'.

Everything normal, all ant/de ice on, gauges in green and all of the sudden, boom, fuel stops being supplied to one engine, followed but engine shutoff....

No idea what could be wrong.....  would be nice to confirm it or it is just my case?

Everything normal, all ant/de ice on, gauges in green and all of the sudden, boom, fuel stops being supplied to one engine, followed but engine shutoff....

No idea what could be wrong.....  would be nice to confirm it or it is just my case?

Not sure if it applies to the addon as well, but in real operations you need to turn on the fuel booster pumps above 20.000ft/FL200. Might want to check that out.

First time I experienced the engine failure was at FL190 which is close to the FL200, second time I was at FL210.

Definitely worth the try to turn booster pumps on, will give it a try tomorrow.

Thank you for the input, gentlemen, these forums are another beauty of flying, there are always people willing to help. :)

I am actually experiencing the same problem. Flying from EGJJ in with real weather, ie pretty cold, I keep losing the left engine at or around cruise altitude. I am using 15000ft. I have been careful to keep the EGT and Torque within limits, but so far it has happened three times under silmilar conditions. I have had to push the right engine to the limits to get her home but that does not fail. 

Any ideas on this, is it related to icing or general cold conditions

First time I experienced the engine failure was at FL190 which is close to the FL200, second time I was at FL210.

Definitely worth the try to turn booster pumps on, will give it a try tomorrow.

Thank you for the input, gentlemen, these forums are another beauty of flying, there are always people willing to help. :)

Hi all, I have experienced the same , always the left engine failure too. But, as stated in the info on release 1.03 keep the RPMs less then 100% and my problem , so far, has not come back. So, I just reduce the RPMs to <100% and so far so good. Along with the EGT <650 degs. and the oil temp and the de-iced and so and so. :)

Hi all, I have experienced the same , always the left engine failure too. But, as stated in the info on release 1.03 keep the RPMs less then 100% and my problem , so far, has not come back. So, I just reduce the RPMs to <100% and so far so good. Along with the EGT <650 degs. and the oil temp and the de-iced and so and so. :)

Quoting the latest update release notes:

Added a new failure. Each engine cannot go over 100% RPM for more than 5 minutes. If you pass that time you will have a failure in the engines, so watch out. Watch those gauges, Captains!

I am embarrassed to admit I haven't read the updated manual. Since installing v1.03, though I have noticed that the left engine is a lot more sensitive to over-RPM than the right. I'll get the amber warning light for the left engine but hardly ever the right. Just like chaps noted above, I bring the throttle back a bit and everything is good.

I've found that I can cruise around 240-250 knots (ground speed, 220 or so indicated) with fuel flow around 135 on each side and not have a problem with over-RPM. With a favorable tail wind, ground speed can push 290-300 kts, but I wind up forced to throttle back to around 100-110 kg/hour fuel flor or the props go into over-RPM again.