Layer groups

Colin S

Only people who understand what I'm saying, please :)

In a pol file there is a section for layer groups. To make an ortho above the pavement but keep the pavement in effect, we use "taxiways +1" or "runways +1." Or at least I do.

I now run into the problem where I want to use default X-Plane lines rather than my crappy ones, but even "runways +1" and "taxiways +1" goes over the taxilines. How can I fix this so I can edit my airport with good lines? This is for my PHNL project, everyone will benefit.

Orthos/POLs at LAYER_GROUP taxiways +1 still allows standard XP10 edge markings/taxiway edge/centrlines/etc. to go over it. I use this all the time. Same goes when your POL is at runways +1.

X-Plane draws lines and edge-markings at "LAYER_GROUP markings"

Just for reference, the draw order is:

terrain, beaches, shoulders, taxiways, runways, markings, airports, roads, objects, light_objects, cars

from ye olde OBJ8 Manual: X-Plane draws scenery in “layer groups” – all elements in the same layer group are drawn before all other groups, but within a layer group the drawing order may be optimized by X-Plane. Normally layer groups are determined by X-Plane based on the type of drawing. Objects have always had their own layer group.

When the ATTR_layer_group is included somewhere in an object (it need only be used once, even if you have multiple LODs) then the object is drawn in a different layer group. The offset is used to prioritize further–for example. the group + 1 is drawn after the group, and the group – 2 is drawn two layers before objects. You can use an offset from -5 to + 5.

YSSY, YPAD, NZCH, YSCN, (and a few upcoming ones CYYZ etc) all use either taxiways +1 or runways +1 - and the standard Xp10 markings are drawn "on top" so to speak.

Heheh.. When I get home - I will take a screenshot from a scenery which you may find familliar..... as I do recall seeing some of the standarad X-Plane taxiway edge markings poking through your ortho (as it should) near the fedex area I believe at KBLI.. (some building cluster just north of your main terminal as I recall). The fact you also traced an additional yellow edge makes it shand out a little better than XP10's built in taxiway/line markings (which I always found to be too narrow half the time..) heh.

- Ck.

Chris- I think Colin is saying that even though he is using a layer group below markings, like taxiways or runways, but the polygons are drawing above the markings.

Colin-Other than that, what Chris said is correct.

You could also try "MARKINGS -1"

Edited by ryancz
  • Upvote 1

Chris- I think Colin is saying that even though he is using a layer group below markings, like taxiways or runways, but the polygons are drawing above the markings.

Colin-Other than that, what Chris said is correct.

You could also try "MARKINGS -1"

Thanks :D Quesiton number 2: How does one get rid of a 100 foot high bump in the middle of the ramp that is part of the terrain?

I think Colin is saying that even though he is using a layer group below markings, like taxiways or runways, but the polygons are drawing above the markings.

Yes, I fully understand what he is saying - but it is absolutely untrue.

Have any of you actually CHECKED this in X-Plane? (rather than going by conjecture).

I did:

post-5973-0-42241600-1358491448_thumb.jp

post-5973-0-92060500-1358491439_thumb.jp

post-5973-0-10521700-1358491451_thumb.jp

Pls advise how this is "not working" somehow.. or how the POL is somehow going above the markings.... when clearly; it is not.

- CK.

Ryan, if I could get you to do the same. (in fact, anyone else wishes to, pls chime in - I believe we are all seeing the same thing..... I don't know why Colin is not - if so, his trouble is "local" in nature)

Edited by chris k

Yes, I fully understand what he is saying - but it is absolutely untrue.

Have any of you actually CHECKED this in X-Plane? (rather than going by conjecture).

I did:

attachicon.gifKBLI-WED-MARKINGS-arrows.jpeg

attachicon.gifKBLI-POL-DEFINITIONS-marked.jpeg

attachicon.gifKBLI-XPLANE-SHOT-markings.jpeg

Pls advise how this is "not working" somehow.. or how the POL is somehow going above the markings.... when clearly; it is not.

- CK.

Ryan, if I could get you to do the same. (in fact, anyone else wishes to, pls chime in - I believe we are all seeing the same thing..... I don't know why Colin is not - if so, his trouble is "local" in nature)

Whoa the hell... and now it works. This makes no sense to me. While the scenery was under construction, it wasn't working. Anyways, thanks you guys. Again vital information from Chris K. :)

• Upvote 1