Multi-projector 225 degree wraparound?

BimmerCop

How can I setup XP 10 for a three projector, 225 degree wraparound screen setup? With FSX, all I need to do is undock 3 windows and setup the views for each window and done. Since XP does not allow multiple undocked windows, how can I accomplish this?

Do I need 3 PCs setup for visuals with a 4th PC setup just for SimAvio instruments? I am building a home cockpit so yes, I need to have separate gauges displayed on a monitor.

I see within XP 10, there is a checkmark for a TripleHead2Go setup. I don't have one but if I enable this, could I still use 3 outputs on my 680GTX? On the rendering options screen, I see the widest FOV can be set to 170, still falling short of 225 degrees so I guess that's not the way to go.

I think I will need 4 PCs, with 3 of them being identical in hardware for visuals and an extra PC for instruments. Quite an expensive ordeal. :-(

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Enabling TripleHead2Go just makes any 2D cockpit only fill your middle monitor.

You can still use all 3 outputs on your GTX680.

You will need 2 systems for this.

One for Instruments and to calculate the FLight Model - which can be a low-powered system

Second system for the 3 x Displays (high-end box) which does nothing but scenery generation; listening to instructions given to it by the flight-model system.

Might want to go direct to Laminar on this one - they have done this type of setup for others; and may have some insights. All we can suggest is that you indeed need separate systems for separate head-viewing spatial views.

- Ck.

BTW 3 screens on a GTX680 may be pushing it, BTW. Thats'a lot of pixels to push... your system may struggle.

I did a test using 2 monitors running on a single 260GTX, I took the sim out of full screen and dragged the window to fill both monitors. The only drawback was that since I only had 2 monitors the cockpit was off center (the middle being where the two screens physically split), I recon with 3 it should work fine. You have to use 3d cockpit mode as well and set the depth of field to something larger that 70 that way you get a sort of wrap around feel.

Try it and see what happens.

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

Enabling TripleHead2Go just makes any 2D cockpit only fill your middle monitor.

You can still use all 3 outputs on your GTX680.

You will need 2 systems for this.

One for Instruments and to calculate the FLight Model - which can be a low-powered system

Second system for the 3 x Displays (high-end box) which does nothing but scenery generation; listening to instructions given to it by the flight-model system.

Might want to go direct to Laminar on this one - they have done this type of setup for others; and may have some insights. All we can suggest is that you indeed need separate systems for separate head-viewing spatial views.

- Ck.

BTW 3 screens on a GTX680 may be pushing it, BTW. Thats'a lot of pixels to push... your system may struggle.

Thanks for the response... But running 3 projectors @ 1280x800 each (3840x800) is a breeze for my system:

i7-3770k @ 4.9ghz with HT ON

8GB DDR3 2400Mhz RAM

680GTX FTW+ 4GB @ 1292/6840

Samsung 256GB SSD HDD

I can run 3 monitors with the above system off FSX @ 30fps rock solid.

If only XP allowed undockable windows.. *sigh*

I will contact LR and see what they suggest...

I did a test using 2 monitors running on a single 260GTX, I took the sim out of full screen and dragged the window to fill both monitors. The only drawback was that since I only had 2 monitors the cockpit was off center (the middle being where the two screens physically split), I recon with 3 it should work fine. You have to use 3d cockpit mode as well and set the depth of field to something larger that 70 that way you get a sort of wrap around feel.

Try it and see what happens.

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

I thought about that but the widest FOV allowed is 170... I need 225... I really think I'm going to need 3 PCs for the visuals and 1 PC for the instruments/flight model...

in order to get up to the FOV amount you want or need, that high.  you'll need a usb hasp key from Laiminar

you can do it with one computer if you want.  

one computer, triple-head-to-go, or multi-video-out video card.  set x-plane resolution to the full desktop size resolution so it fills across them.

one for the whole view and including 3d cockpit being displayed wrap around.  immersive but ill for any cockpit manipulation.

ideally, two.  

one for lets say scenery view (may include 3d cockpit shown in wrap around)

one that runs the simulation, basically the flight model and better clearer panel access/controls.  on just a single screen, think instrument-panel-screen

the two-computer-solution is how it's ideally done in the full size simulator setups i've worked with.

Laminar has some functions rigged to require the Level-# hasp key.  such as you cannot go above a certain FOV without it saying 'thats too far, we know what youre trying to do, and you need to get the key for that'.  similar with the cylindrical projection checkbox option, etc.  It may kick in with too many external network view machine assignments.  Laminar would be the only one with more specific information about yes-this, no-that.

in order to get up to the FOV amount you want or need, that high.  you'll need a usb hasp key from Laiminar

you can do it with one computer if you want.  

one computer, triple-head-to-go, or multi-video-out video card.  set x-plane resolution to the full desktop size resolution so it fills across them.

one for the whole view and including 3d cockpit being displayed wrap around.  immersive but ill for any cockpit manipulation.

ideally, two.  

one for lets say scenery view (may include 3d cockpit shown in wrap around)

one that runs the simulation, basically the flight model and better clearer panel access/controls.  on just a single screen, think instrument-panel-screen

the two-computer-solution is how it's ideally done in the full size simulator setups i've worked with.

Laminar has some functions rigged to require the Level-# hasp key.  such as you cannot go above a certain FOV without it saying 'thats too far, we know what youre trying to do, and you need to get the key for that'.  similar with the cylindrical projection checkbox option, etc.  It may kick in with too many external network view machine assignments.  Laminar would be the only one with more specific information about yes-this, no-that.

So in other words, if I get that usb key, I can set the view to 3D cockpit and I will be able to project a 225 view for my 3 projectors and a second PC for just instruments? Did I get that right?

Yikes!!! $750 for a USB key which allows one to use the cylindrical display option. No way I can afford that. :-( I really want to switch from FSX to XP 10 but if this is what it takes for me to properly be able to setup XP with my 225 degree setup, I am sticking with FSX. I knew this was too good to be true. Just when I was falling in love with XP 10.

I actually happen to own a five monitor setup split across three computers and over time I've found that its not all that expensive to do such a system this is because as long as you have your main system taking most (if not all) of your forward line of sight you can have your other two systems running at 3-10 fps and have it not really bother you also if you have not bought any gauges yet and you have x-plane 10 I would highly recomend the efis app for the iPad it's only $20 (compared to $750 for the desktop version) and works fine plus if your not flying you can still use the iPad for evry day use (in other words this has been written on my efis) do note that this app will drain the battery of the iPad quite fast so I recomend plugging it in while flying.

What about AMD Infinity Will that not work to combine Three monitors into on wide screen and I thought Cylindrical display was Done with a single projector and the cylindrical display option adjusted the output to compensate for distortion.

Yes, I can do this with nvidia Surround but the max FOV it will project is 170 degrees. I need 225 degrees and I think you need the Pro version dongle to be able to go higher on the FOV and also output for a cylindrical screen.