PHNL Development Thread

Colin S

If you are interested in following the development of my PHNL, which will probably be released in a couple of months, follow this thread or just come back often to see screenshots. Sorry that this is yet another thread on PHNL, I just one that is actually consistent and has a proper title.

tumblr_mgeczsb9s31s2oqxno1_1280.png

Here is the first picture for this thread. That's a LOT of orthophotos... for ONE AIRPORT. If Cameron reads this, please feel free to delete my other threads, I won't take offense to it and I just want a nice clean start for development.

tumblr_mged4yRYdJ1s2oqxno1_1280.png

And that is what it will look like from space. You're computer will probably crash and/or melt. Each of those tiles is 4096x4069.

There are 74 tiles.

Let's do the math...

4096 x 4096 x 74 = 1,241,513,984pixels

The orthophotos will have to be downloaded separately as a zip file off of my own file server due to their 1.2GB size.

These puppies are big enough to run without any custom runway or taxilines (of course I will add those, I'm just saying you can).

Before this project gets any further I want to thank a bunch of random people:

Cameron for this community.

Chris K for inspiration and also the most necessary resources making all of my projects: orthophotos!

Jayden B for asking for this airport (that doesn't mean other people can ask, this was a gift)

The rest of the community for help, consultation (like modern art and such)...

Anyways, it's bloody late here and I have three tests tomorrow. I'll add some screenshots tomorrow in the evening.

• Upvote 1

I am super pumped about you doing this mate.

I can't wait to do YSSY to PHNL legs.

Have you thought about reaching out to FSX (boooh, hisss) community, and seeing if you can utilise some of there freeware buildings for PHNL?

Or are you going to go with the style of Chris K mad crew?

Either way, I will be following this bad boy into fruition.

Teddit

Attention anyone reading this thread, this scenery, my action in the X-Plane community, film editing, etc, has been indefinitely halted. Today a problem began with my computer.

I am still capable of running it, but I am very scared of running anything graphics intensive. If you change the angle of the computer, a dreadful "crack-a-lick-alick-acrick-crack-cruck" comes from the top left hand corner of the machine (2011 MacBook Pro 15"). This suggests that a fan has blown a blade or two and we don't need the Qantas A380 all over again in my computer.

If anyone knows whether MBP cooling fans are manually replaceable without having to pay twelve billion dollars to Apple for them to have "Geniuses" (more like dorky morons who don't have a clue what they're doing) look at it and tell me to spend another eight billion on having the fan replaced, I would absolutely love to hear from you. Until then, this project is not moving forward. It's like driving a car with a blown engine block. You just don't. Or without any oil. Or coolant. Or brake fluid. Or steering...

Anyways, I hope to have this problem fixed within a few weeks and be back on course. If not, then I apologize to all those whose hopes I lifted about PHNL. This is the first time that an actual situation has prevented me from crating scenery rather than laziness. I had it coming.

Colin S

Pacific Northwest Scenery Project Development Team

Well, that was solved quickly...

One microscopic-sized T6 Torques later and my computer is back running. The culprit: A piece of plastic lodged in one of the fans. (might have had something to do with being dropped on the wood floor two summers ago at the lake)

Sorry, no screenshots as promised, but I'm busy trying to make 74 hi-res orthos export without crashing my computer.

Cheers and I'm back in action!

I have a lot of late nights of taxiway editing ahead of me for this sucker.

Yes... Yes you do.

Have a look at YSSY, (or YPAD), All the taxiways are traced on top of the ortho. Taxiway tracing takes 90% of the development time.

Tedious, but the results are worth it.

No shortcuts. Gotta put in the work.

• Upvote 1

YSSY was originally 7.5 cm/pixel

I downsampled to 15cm/pixel (1/4th resolution - else everyone would need a 4Gb VRAM card....)

DDSing then saves another 8:1 savings (but with lossy compression).

Total ended up being a couple hundred megabytes.

....original sums for the imagery were in the Multiple-Gigabytes

- CK.

EDIT: Here's the sums of the files. I stand corrected. The Original PNGs were over 5Gb.!

post-5973-0-17119100-1357886121_thumb.pn

Edited by chris k

At the terminal buildings please consider using the newly designed autogates

I don't know how to implement the system but I'll do some research, great thing to remind me of! And here are some images of development (nothing new, I just made some of the DDS files with alpha 1-bit so that they took up less space, also please note that some tiles are missing from these screenshots as I'm trying to prevent the chronic crash syndrome that my computer has developed)

NOTE Pictures to come later, our internet is not allowing heavy uploads at the moment (greater than 1MB)... no clue why.

Stay tuned!

I have no clue how to make a better video and quite frankly this is the crappiest rendition of the scenery imaginable, but it gives you some idea of the realism. The orthos are still a bit "hard" around the edges, that will be fixed for the SECOND ONLINE RELEASE.

Edited by Colin S

I am proud to announce that on Wednesday, January 30th, development of PHNL by the Pacific Nothwest Scenery Project will recommence as 90% of the data required for the development of the airport was recovered after a near fatal loss of data this weekend.

Colin Stepney

It's great to hear that you were able to recover your data. :)

I have successfully recovered all the files that are truly vital (except for about 20 video files that I think were just too big to be recoverable, about 2GB each). I reinstalled X-Plane today and took this screenshot. Development has not recommenced, but I made sure the scenery was still intact. Looks like it is.

tumblr_mh42gnzHwl1s2oqxno1_1280.jpg

YAY!

Glad to hear you recovered some/most/all of your data and/or started it again from scratch

Either way, good show. Looking fwd to it

- Ck.

Using a SeaGate utility I got back most of my stuff, I'm actually still in the process of testing all my XP resources determining what planes I have to download again and which sceneries need to be replaced and stuff. I got all my important stuff though... this has actually given me an opportunity to organized my X-Plane folders.