PHNL Development Thread

Colin S

Bad news, folks, if I'm not done by July 20th, it may never be released. Here's why:

On July 2nd, I begin Summer School. This gives me about 1 week to get more done than I've done yet. Luckily, I have no school until then, meaning I can devote literally all my time to X-Plane work. I would say I could finish after Summer School... but I'm moving out! I'm moving to Kamloops for university. I will still be developing airports for X-Plane, but not as much as I hoped. Let's see if I can get this stupid bloody airport DONE AND OUT OF MY SIGHT.

AND THEN... there is the problem of file size. About 4GB of problemo so far. No downsizing possible at this time, so I need suggestions for how to make this file available to people. Everything is welcome - including help! 

Colin Stepney

And a really quick reply to that......... I'm dead. I have lost the PHNL file. 

My DropBox backup is about 40 hours behind where I am now, which is about the beginning of March on my timescale. 

Anyone who was hoping for this to go somewhere, I apologize so much, I'm almost in tears seeing 4GB and over 200 hours of work lost just like that. I'm going to be using a file recovery program to see if I can scrape up the leftovers. In the meantime I'm starting on doing Kamloops Airport. 

RIP 200+ hours of my life and my work. 

Well, that ended quickly. At least it didn't hurt too much, it just disappeared. Thank you. Onto greater things.

I feel truly sorry for your situation, Colin.

For future reference, realize that DropBox and similar services (SugarSync, etc.) are not backups.  They are only file syncing and sharing services.  If the file disappears from your computer, it will disappear from DropBox as well.  It is best to have a local backup on an external or network drive and a versioning encrypted cloud backup such as CrashPlan.  The modest fee is far less expensive than the time and effort lost.