KFMY Page Field, Fort Myers, FL

3TB

Page Field (KFMY) is a popular GA airport in Fort Myers, Florida.  It's a perfect airport for flight training, where I logged 20 hours or so back in 2000.  Since then the airport has grown, both in aircraft population and infrastructure.  If you are into GA flying, or business jets as large as 727s, this is the hub for you.  Page Field is also a great airport for cross country flying.  Located in Southwestern Florida, it's easily accessible to Orlando, Lakeland, Tampa, St. Pete, Palm Beach, Vero, Miami, Key West, Naples, and it's nearby companion, KRSW.  My goal was to make this airport as realistic as possible for the sake of practicing IFR cross country procedures.  

This is my first airport scenery endeavor, and I did my best to recreate FMY and its infrastructure, including a usable Class C airspace, for X-Plane 10.  Here's what I came up with:

• Completely accurate airport layout
  • Custom Objects, accurately representing facilities including Base Ops (FBO), hangars, tarmac layout, parking lots, etc. 
  • Multiple starting points for single/multi-prop and jets, including hangar space and tie-down spots.  
  • Global lighting attached to every building.
  • ATC paths
  • Taxiway and Runway signs
  • OpenScenery X for aircraft population only (grouped and labeled; easily removable in WED)

The only thing I'm missing is palm trees and some small shrubbery. I've tried some custom objects, but haven't quite taken to them yet.  I have an orthophoto, but I'm not including it in the first version.  

I'm in the final stage of testing the file and organizing the folder contents. I hope to upload by next week. Let me just say that I am so grateful for the many of you whose how-to posts have been a huge help!  

I do have one logistical problem that I can't solve.  Any ideas how to move what appears to be the airport VOR or glideslope beacon (as shown)?  It doesn't show up in WED, and it's not where it *should be.* I'd like to not have to move the taxiway (which has only existed at FMY for a couple years now)

post-8633-0-32054300-1357186133_thumb.pn

post-8633-0-32054300-1357186133_thumb.pn

post-8633-0-64237600-1357186196_thumb.pn

post-8633-0-03969900-1357186225_thumb.pn

post-8633-0-00313500-1357186254_thumb.pn

post-8633-0-93076000-1357186288_thumb.pn

post-8633-0-38658600-1357186320_thumb.pn

post-8633-0-46463000-1357186350_thumb.pn

• Upvote 3

Capt.Stanford, what do you mean by spawn point?  I have optional "starting points" on every ramp, (eg South Ramp, Southwest Ramp, L hangars, F hangars, the new West Ramp, etc.)  

Does this look familiar?  :)  

post-8633-0-08793000-1352435210_thumb.jp

Yes, I have Paragon's hangar and a few 172's on the ramp nearby.  I hear good things about them! I can't wait to hear how "realistic" you find this apt file! 

Here's some other screen shots I posted a couple months ago: 
post-8633-0-64395200-1352435194_thumb.jp
post-8633-0-68166200-1352435215_thumb.jp
post-8633-0-02094200-1352435201_thumb.jp
post-8633-0-98938800-1352435184_thumb.jp

Well looks like my challenger 300 has found a home. When will this be released by the way?

Also are you sure that there is a fence that covers the whole perimeter of the airport because that is the mistake that many scenery developers make is leaving an airport with no fence. Just so the deer can get in. The airport you've shown is different fortunately and the base ops building looks real and so is the Paragon flight training. You did a VERY good job with the building and to the smallest detail the sign that says "come learn to fly". The hangars for storing the planes are also well done and realistic even for x-plane. I have a very good feeling this is going to be a hit for those GA sceneries in florida. You keep up the good work :)

Looks super realistic by the way in terms of the hangar and the night lighting and I do hope it will not have a big hit on fps. But other than that looking good. Ive been waiting for an airport like this since I started flying x-plane and now I will finally have a full airport instead of having that empty default Page Field. Keep up the good work and I hope it will be uploaded soon!

"I used to be a pilot, until I took a rudder to the knee"

-Capt. Marc T. Stanford

Edited by Capt.Stanford

Thanks Capt.Standford!  There is a fence around the entire field, exactly as there is one at FMY.  Using Google Maps 45 degree view and Bing's Birds Eye, I placed the fences and gates in x-plane exactly where they exist.  :)  Out of all the buildings and hangars at FMY, there are only a couple not modeled.  Thats what took me so so long.  If you use the airport chart for KFMY, all of the buildings marked on it are there, except the fire station and two or three privately owned hangars.  I need better pictures on the fire station before I can model it.  

One thing that I'm sad to say isn't exact is behind Base Ops in the parking lot there is a beautiful T-6 on display.  Unfortunately I haven't begun learning how to model aircraft yet, so I used OpenSceneryX's P-47.  

The airport is DONE.  I cleaned the file up last night and am figuring out how to upload it.  Look for it this week! 

Thats excellent news 3TB, I cant wait for Page field to finally open :)

Please upload it as soon as possible so I can commence charter flights because I have been waiting for a X-plane version of Page field. I remember when I flew FSX that I used Page field but it was very unrealistic. Your version however is better because this one has default runway lights and taxi lights attached to the ground unlike FSX where they float above the ground O_o

The buildings is what brings this airport to life and thanks to your fencing around the airfield I wont have to worry about deer or drunks trying to get on the runway and ruin my plane. The lighting is also going to be the best thing when this is released. The control tower itself is also well done from looking at your screenshots, I hope that you continue to do this in future sceneries you make. 

The runways and taxiways are well done, no missing taxi lines or lights just like a true scenery developer. The base ops building is just perfect and dont worry about that T-6, I just like it the way it is now. Im pretty sure other people would say very positive things about your scenery once its release for both its realism and the fun it brings to General aviation to X-plane.

Don't worry I will be sure to put this airport to good use, I will park my Challenger 300 by the base ops building because then it will look so AWESOME. If you want I can send you a screenshot once you release the scenery.Once again our GA fleet has found a perfect home with its awesome runways and buildings.

But argh I CANT wait to fly your Page field scenery! need it now.......

Edited by Capt.Stanford

Page Field is POSTED!!! 

After 4 months of work, Page Field is complete.  Download and enjoy.  

Also, please let me how I can improve.  I modeled and textured all objects (and lights) using Blender and a text editor.  As far as OBJ8 specifications go, I learned as I went.  I did my best to incorporate all objects using one texture file.  However, to do so, and to save texture space, I struggled with the vertices count.  How high is too high? Anyway, let me know if anything sticks out to your trained eye.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've started working on the ortho-underlay for KFMY.  Thanks to Chris K I managed to keep WED 1.2 from crashing as I placed the ortho TIFFs and downsampled to 4096 pixels. I took a look in X-Plane, and my jaw dropped. It looks so life-like.  Here's what they look like without any manipulation: 

page_ortho1.jpg

Page_ortho2.jpg

Page_ortho3.jpg

I plan to remove some buildings and shadows and "lay some sod" around Base Ops, as the photo was taken during its construction.  Then, I will probably DDS these, as I did notice that having 6 4096px PNGs absolutely killed my FPS with textures rendering at "very high."  

Once this update is finished, I'm moving on to...ahem...the international airport. 

• Upvote 2