Sign in to follow this  
tkyler

Sequoia F8.L Falco

Ok, I've had pics of this in another forum, but decided to move it into the more "official" x-scenery work in progress forum.  This one isn't vapor ware of "promise ware", this one's almost finished.  I just need to mess with the lighting textures and clean up some other textures, then a bit of programming and it's out the door.

You might note I didn't say i was going to do docs or the low canopy version...well this is because I'm going to offer it for 15.00 initially and for as long as it takes me to get some docs and the alternate canopy / paint...then it'll probably go up to 20.00 as a more well rounded package.  Those who get it at 15.00 will get the updates for free...so if you wait, you'll pay 20.00.

Ok..the work.  I'm down to the cockpit instruments...by that I mean a few 2D ones are transitioning to 3D and then I have to start the plug-in logic for the transponder and a few other knobs and buttons...then tweak the LIT textures and that's it.

In the screenshot, you'll not the canopy and latch.  The canopy closes via manipulator..you have to grab it to close it..then you can use a manip to secure the latch...maybe I can get some video of it later.  And for those curious, yes, the canopy won't open with the latch closed..you have to unlatch it.

Now...will the canopy open if you leave the latch undone and start flying?  not at the moment no...but it will probably find it's way in in the future.

This plane represents about 95% success on systems and methods for not only creating but also updating.  It would not be terribly difficult or time consuming to swap out instruments and even put in glass displays in the future. 

post-4-131369576113_thumb.jpg

post-4-131369576143_thumb.jpg

post-4-131369576417_thumb.jpg

post-4-131369576442_thumb.jpg

now that is gorgeous!!!!

With the manipulator items, eg the canopy, can they be linked to a joystick button or slider?

Look forward to purchasing this one when it comes out.....man this is going to be one expensive year what with the other aircraft coming out and all ! ;)

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

Manipulators can not be associated with a joystick or slider.  I might could do some custom commands which can be tied to joysticks and buttons...and see how that integrates with the manipulator logic.  I couldn't say definitely how it'd come out but I will investigate it.

Hiya TKyler,

no worries about assigning joystick commands to items....was just wondering was all.

I can use the mouse so clicking on manipulators is no big thing ;)

Looking forward to flying this new version when it comes out :)

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

Another fantastic X-PLANE product is comming out!!!

What can I say......this is an important era for XPl community!!!!

Tkyler, accept my gratitude  for evrything you do for us.

Well the last one could be adressed to all X-Plane developpers!

I love X-PILOT.com! :D

Just another angle.  Since last screenshot, I got all the gauges working and needles in along with several more manipulators.  The panel is fully functional in 3D now as you'd expect the real thing to be...even the ADF knobs.  I adjusted the color of some of the instruments, trying to get the contrast right, probably keep tweaking it..it never seems to be good enough.  Also started working on the LIT texturing.  From here, I have to program the GTX330 transponder and electrical system, then tweak up the textures to make em a bit more realistic and well...then I'll be done for the initial "special" release for 15.00. 

You can't believe how much different this is than the MU-2. This panel exports straight out of blender as is with no hand-editing of the object file.  It allows very quick changes and additions.  this will truly make development much much easier in the future for x-scenery.com.

post-4-131369576499_thumb.jpg

'just another angle'...showing off now! Looks fantastic, this'll sell like hotcakes. Hmm, night lighting for these beautiful gauges? Please show off more if u get that done! Thanks

This night shot shows the general effect I'll be going for, but this is NOT the night lighting for this Falco.  The Falco uses post lighting so I'll be doing some lighting bakes to make it a bit more realistic, this was just some experiement in GIMP  The HSI and ADI will be internally lit.  I have some tweaking to do as x-plane merges the LIT and day textures, making for the bright glass as you can see on the ADI.

post-4-131369576525_thumb.jpg

everytime I look at the new piccies I just want to put my hand into the screen and start turning knobs and tapping the glass on the gauges to make sure they are working correctly!!!!

You have my 15 bucks as of now.....and any other release you may be inspired to come up with.

If the textures look this great in the falco then I cant wait for the "new" moo when she is re-released with al this new technology you have created!

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

So as an experiment in adapting and/or updating aircraft....(remember the MU-2 still doesn't have a proper ADF because it's so hard to update) I thought I'd try and swap out the HSI and ADI for a digital version.  More than just some texture mapping, this "EFIS" has working knobs and custom buttons to swap between HSI and map mode and also to turn off the weather, fixes, etc.  Honestly, it's not that impressive though, but mostly an exercise in customization / configuration using manipulators.  There was a fair amount of plug-in work to get it driving even though the display is stock xplane stuff.  The point being is that I'll be dealing with EFIS soon enough (read King Air and G550) so I figured I'd spend some time experimenting.  AND....when I get around to building my real Falco, I'll be considering vertical EFIS setups like this...OK, that was probably the real reason I tried it.  If anybody is wondering whether or not this will end up in the payware one, some version will at some point, but not in the initial release.

post-4-131369576538_thumb.jpg

Here's a good example of not working on other aircraft BUT actually working on them.  This is a simulation of a Garmin GTX330 that will show up in the Falco soon, and then be retrofitted to the MU-2 and further into some other GAs I have planned.   There's a few bugs left, but it's about 95% where I want it to be.   Each button is manipulated and animated.  

That looks absolutely incredible!

I use the exact same transponder in the 152 that I fly.

The functions look perfect!

Just a functionality question - Will the Transponder switch from standby mode to altitude mode after you pass 40kts of airspeed like in the real thing?

Thanks!

-Jason

Will this be a payware aircraft or freeware. ???

When will it be released?

Thanks for the MU-2 and all the hard work!!! ;)

The aircraft is payware.

Release is soon. :)

Ooh, an opportunity for me to learn something! Would someone be willing to let me know what altitude mode on a transponder is? I didn't know altitude had anything to do with a transponder.

when in altitude mode, the transponder takes the current altitude as measured by your aircraft equipment and transmits that to air traffic control so they'll know how high you are.  Because it's impractical to use radar returns for several reasons, altitude reporting is handled by the transponder.

An interesting case involving an airliner crash had to do with it's pitot ports being covered up during a repaint and the tape not being pulled off.  The plane flew into IFR conditions at night over water and get inconsistent readings on the altimeter.  The pilot kept asking ATC what their altitude was and ATCs altitude always showed what the plane's was saying..the pilots, being under heavy duress, thought that ATC could ascertain their altitude but they could not...the plane/transponder was lying to ATC.  The plane went down in the water with no survivors.

Mode A is basic transponder functionality where the transponder provides relative location information...Mode C is the altitude mode.  For transponders equipped with Mode C functionality, Modes A and C are on at the same time