What is the proper way of trimming JS32?

arb65912

Gentlemen,

I read the manual, I know about control lock but I am still confused about the trim.

I have Saitek yoke with two buttons assigned for the trim ( elevator and ailerons)

What exactly should I do to trim JS32 assuming that yoke is calibrated before JS32 is loaded?

I hope I am not cross posting here, if yes, please remove this post.

Thank you.

Cheers, AJ 

I usually just put the aileron trim to the left and pitch up... and goes smooth.. makes little changes everytime I touch the throttles.. and that is all. Just practice. Not big deal.

This the case with the real aircraft.  I have about 900 hours on J32 and it was always a handful to fly.  You have to constantly trim the aircraft for every power change. 

I haven't purchase the aircraft yet.  I'm looking forward to simulating v1 cuts to see if the sim requires full rudder deflection and 6 turns of rudder trim just to keep the plane straight without locking your knee to keep it flying.  I have a lot of good and bad memories with the J32.

Edited by Cooley

I can only tell about the Javier's JS32 but so far I already learned many things.

One of them is like you mention, constant trim change with the power change which is great because it keeps you busy.

Do you mind to share a bit of bad and good memories in real JS32?

Thank you for the input.

Cheers, AJ 

Good Memories: 

• 250KTS to the outer marker...bring the power levers to 0% torque to use prop pitch as speed brakes
  • watching pax expressions boarding the J32 (especially the int'l connecting pax who just flew first class)
  • flying to rural airports and having all the C172 pilots looking up to you

Bad Memories:

• pax pissing in the rear when there is no lav
  • extremely hot summers / extremely cold winters
  • as a first officer being required to perform all the pax safety briefings (6-8 times per day)
  • the temperamental engine tailpipe fire/overheat warning...we constantly got fire warnings when the wind would blow the exhaust back towards the engine

My best memory...being a newly minted first officer and thinking I'm an airline pilot.  then, I got my first 4 day trip in which I did not leave the state of Virginia.  Priceless! 

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 2

Hi Cooley,

I loved your Good and Bad memories entries , some made me smile and others just wonder...

250 KIAS trick, I have to try it, I did not know you guys do stuff like that in real life... :)

No lave... THAT IS a bad thing, all models no lav or you meant lav out of service?

Love your best memory...

Thanks you very much for sharing it here.

Cheers, AJ 

I flew the airline configuration with 19 pax with no bathroom and autopilot.

I had several occasions where the flight ended up being a lot longer than planned.  I few times someone would go to the back of the airplane an urinate on the floor near the door (no joke)

Another not so good memory is the smell of vomit after a rough ride...there was no cockpit door !

• Upvote 1

Typical scheduled block times were 60-90 mins.

We had one scheduled flight from KBWI to KIAD that was blocked for 25 min. (10 min of flight time).  I guess it was needed for int'l connections.

One of those flights turned out to be 2.5 hours due to holding and diverting.  Everyone was mad on that flight including the crew.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing is wrong, left turning and corresponding trimming is caused by torque, try to either lower power setting on take off or use trim you are talking about.

I had the same questions at the beginning, there is nothing wrong with the plane, 95% of the times when things go wrong is us, pilots. :D

Cheers, AJ 

I know it, a lot of torque like the MU-2; so far so good. I asked about it beeing wrong eventually because somewhere I read about putting trim to the second marking and somewhere else that Javier postet he wanted to "tune it a bit down even further". So to me it sounded like: Now you need marking 3+ for take off when it actually should have become less with the update… just wondering. No "error" on either side.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

What about P torque and propeller twist on ground roll ie takeoff? When taking off with CCW props the wheels on the ground hide the twist moment, but the torque has a natural tendency to make the J32 turn which way? Right? Requiring left rudder to compensate on takeoff role. If so, does the JRollon JS32 simulate this too? On calm wind situations i dont experience much. Windy days, wow! Strong from left requires lots of right rudder. Strong from right requires lots of left rudder. Is this correct? Seems so.

Thanks,

Steve

• 3 months later...

When I trim the nose down using the pitch wheel in the cockpit, the trim wheel begins to slowly unwind pitching back up... How can you set the trim with the wheel, and make it stay where you put it? It keeps undoing after I set it...

Are you on autopilot?

If yes, that will happen.

Cheers, AJ