My joystick doesn't work!!! (calm down is not a bug)

Japo32

Ok.. all is written in the manual, but I am going to write it again.

The Jetstream plugin deactivates your joystick axis in some situations: 

1. When the controls are locked (always when you load the plane with engines not running). The axis removed are Pitch, Roll, Yaw and differential brakes (in peddals).

2. When there is an stick pusher because an stall (only the pitch is deactivated while the stick pusher is on. You can deactivate it pressing the stall warning lights independently they are illuminated or not)

3. When pressing the world hidden spot area (word "Power") near the throttles, to make the manipulators in throttles available (it deactivates your throttles axis. To have them again, press again the hidden area.

4. When the plane loads it removes your mixtures and propeller (in v1.01 this one) axis. I made this because those functions in your joystick can break the systems inside the plane.

BUT don't worry. When you start the plane all your axis are saved in MEMORY So you will recover the axis when:

1. Unlock the controls.

2. if you pressed before the Hidden spot area in throttles (the "power" word) Press again will recover the throttles.

3. If you are having a stick pusher, press over the stall warning front lights (doesn't care if they are switch off).

4. if any of the axis where removed by the plugin you just stop the plugin in the plugins menu, OR load other plane.

When you are stopping the plugin or loading other plane, you are not leaving xplane, so inside my plugin I give the command: "recover from memory the user axis and set them as he had"

BUT If the user just quit xplane in the "X" window button, or exit from the menu when he has any axis removed by the plugin he will loose that axis assigment. So he will need to put it again in other plane different than the Jetstream.

Why is that? because there is no instruction in xplane sdk (I didn't find it) to recover your axis when exit is done. It will save your last assigments, so if the last assigments are NONE, you will have NONE for the next xplane session.

The assigments only can be done in other plane because the plugin constantly check the assignations to remove them or assign them.

So these are the steps for the very first time you load the Jetstream. or just you loosed your assigments.

1. Load xplane.

2. Load another plane different than the Jetstream.

3. give assignations of your joystick axis to the roll, pitch... all that you want. Test them in the plane you loaded. (you will need to make this only once if you follow these steps correctly)

4. Once you have all the axis, open the Jetstream. If you do with engines running you will have the axis there and joystick working (not the mixture or propeller ones). If you did with the engines stop, the controls lock level is up, so locked. The Joystick movement won't move the yokes and pedals in the plane. If you go to the menu to see the axis, you will see NONE in all of them but not in the Throttles. DON'T WORRY!!

The plugin has removed:

roll

pitch

yaw

left toe brake

right toe brake

mixture 

mixture left

mixture right

propeller

propeller left

propeller right

If you try to reasign any of them it won't let you. The plugin is constantly writting the axis, so that is why you need do the point 2 before to assign axis.

5. Fly the plane (I suppose you unlocked the controls, so you would have the axis back by plugin work)

6. End  your fly.. switch off engines (or not).

7a. If you don't put back the controls locker and you don't mind loosing your mixture and propeller axis, exit xplane normally.

7b. If you put the locker.. or just don't want to loose your mixture and propeller axis assigments, before exit xplane, load other plane, and exit from there.

or go to the plugins menu (on the top menu) and unmark the jetstream32 plugin, so you can now exit xplane.

8. Next time you load xplane, just load the jetstream, unlock the controls locker and see if the controls are there. If you did these steps good, then you will have them there.

So.. in resume. I always recomend for exit xplane once the jetstream has been loaded, ALWAYS, load other plane and exit from that other plane. Can be any plane. Better the simplest ones.. One of the experimental from austin. Those are very fast to load.

OR.. go to plugins menu. Unmark the jetstream32 plugin, and exit.

It is a pain all of these? Yes, I know.. I just only want to make suffer my costummers ha ha ha ha! No.. seriusly. I tried to find other better ways and couldn't so I know is a little odd to do that, but is not a big deal once you memorized. And even in the checklists is written to make you remember. Of course I cannot do anything about the blackouts.

But I think it worth it. I like the controls locker (It was difficult to find the function in C++ to remove the axis). Without these functions things would be worst, I trully think. But I really understand the point of view of some costumers. In fact that is why I started creating my own planes, because I didn't like the way some producers did their job.  :P

But there is a plugin:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=12551

That saves your configuration in disk. Don't know how it works.. but seem to do a good job. Hope is compatible with my plane.

If I know how to do it internally inside the plugin, I will introduce it in future updates.

Edited by Japo32
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I use the 64 bit version on IMac and I tried ALL what you write about the yoke. Impossible to make it run... What's the matter ?

It works perfectly in 32 bits and I'm very disappointed cos I like this plane... The plugin is there, everything ok except the axis...

JPB

http://forums.x-pilot.com/index.php/topic/4554-in-progress-a-few-103-questionsissues/

Haha yes it was a pain! You developers always finding new and novel ways to force us to read the manual :P

I read and read (and skimmed) but I must have missed the bit about the Gust Lock! Gonna check for it now. So I got it working eventually hurrah what fun. It's gorgeous. I suppose you have your reasons to make a new plugin for the axis....

Just did some island hopping in Orkney landing in 34G45 winds. Nicely(ish). It's great. I've wanted one of these for ages. Popular island hopper. Nice Work Señor Rollon. B) (I love the funny way you explain stuff - nice touch)

Jez

Edited by Echo_Zulu_7-2

Ok.. I am a little frustrated.  :-/  

I figured out all the control lock issues.  My remaining issue is that no matter what I do, my RPM/prop control no longer works.  I have tried assigning it to a switch, an axis and nothing changes.  I have to use the mouse to make it work which is obviously not a good solution.  

When I go to assign it in the joystick assignment, it let's me select but than just defaults to "nothing".  I just don't understand why this has to be so complicated.   

Using 32 bit.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  :-)

Edited by HeartofDavid

Ok.. so you're saying the only way to control the prop rpm is via mouse?  That's fine as long as that's the way it's intended to work.  However, in a tutorial video the person demo'ing said he was using a joystick input and you could tell it was conflicting with his mouse input.  :-)

Correct. If there is such a video, it was likely shot prior to this update that took away the input coming into effect.

Sir,

I've read the manual and as many replies to this issue as I can find.  The problem with me is this:

-I am not able to get pitch or roll function even though I can get yaw and thrust.  I can even see the pedals and yolk function properly.  I've tried everyone's advice and after numerous reboots, locking the controls, unlocking the controls, etc etc etc, I still get no pitch or roll on the wings.

Please advise.

Respectfully,

Jeff

Redrock.. if you bought in the Store this is not the proper area to have support. 

Your problem is because the activation, and you can see the solution in the org forum. Of course here you can read whatever you want after you register, but as said, only costumers from x-aviation will receive support here. Hope you understand it.

Thanks!