X-Plane.org MALWARE DETECTED

Goran_M

Ok - I'm out of my depth here... Is it "safe" to visit the .org, even though we get a warning on chrome? And does it make a difference that I'm running linux?

*Sigh* Why can't we just go back to the abacus? What was wrong with abacuses? Abacuses were cool! Couldn't run blender on 'em, I'll grant you, but they were cool!

Edit: Now I'm getting a Chrome warning on this site too - over in the rant section: http://forums.x-pilot.com/index.php/topic/3572-more-org-bullshit/page-3

Edited by HPM

Googles security summary has been updated.

This is definitely NOT A FALSE POSITIVE.

Quoted;

Of the 34 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 14 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent.

The last time Google visited this site was on 2012-12-20, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2012-12-20.

Malicious software includes 12 trojan(s).

Malicious software is hosted on 3 domain(s), including whyovxwb.www1.biz/, njghehelcv.pcanywhere.net/, uoaehfx.myftp.info/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS32400 (HWSERVICES).

These files are possibly buried in the download manager library of user uploaded files.

IF IN DOUBT DO NOT VISIT.

edit: formatting restored.

Edited by Ben Russell
  • Upvote 1

I jumped over on a sandboxed system and didn't see anything amiss (*or detect any issues myself), but I use links straight into their forums themselves. I don't visit the "portal homepage" which is splashed with ads and whatnot. In a thread on their forum, someone posted an AVG screengrab indicating a potential issue in the Shoutbox module, and a few other web-based scan tools did chirp with issues.

I'm not yet satisfied that the site is free of issues, but I trust they're working on it.

Chances are something got injected in some advertising components.

If you MUST visit the site, I'd recommend doing so in a safe/sandbox state (*via a throwaway virtual machine to isolate your browsing from your production system), and if not - at the very least make sure all elements of your system are 100% up-to-date - Windows updates, Adobe Flash updates, Java updates... etc.

-Greg

• Upvote 1

So when will it be safe? Is it being worked on because I would love to post a question for the scenery folks.

Until you feel comfortable visiting there, feel free to ask here (in the scenery section actually :P).  Some of the most experienced scenery developers regularly participate here.  I'm sure we can get you answered in the meantime.

Tom K

Laminar

Edited by tkyler
  • Upvote 1

Tom K. Perhaps I am having a bout of refrigerater syndrom (where you tell your wife that you cannot find something and she moves one item and there is it), but I the scenery discussion is currently blocked. So I don't know where you meant to ask the question. I went to X-Scenery.com thinking that was where you meant for me to post. It gives me a tip to use a "forum link" above, but I cannot find the referenced link.

So, in the meantime, I will state my problem. I'm visiting Graz Austria for the next month and am flying xp in my laptop. I downloaded Graz airport scenery that was converted over from FSX and made available on X-Plane.org (I downloaded it yesterday). The scenery is quite accurate and enjoyable (and, at the correct altitude). However, If I take off and fly a circle route to get on the approach back to this airport to land on runway 35C, the entire airport is sitting on a 4500 foot high plateau rising above the surrounding countryside. My question is, is there anyway for me to correct this? I've not tried yet to fly there from another airport to see if this plateau still appears, but it definitely does when I leave and return to Graz.

Because of the blockage of the forums, I cannot contact the person who did the conversion.

Thanks for your earlier answer.

mGN