Boeing b-29 superfortress

Flying_pig

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a nice render i got today when I was playing around in blender

1116274_313688388776470_1559985459_o.jpg

And here is another render showing how i got the lighting to look the way that it does

1150536_313688392109803_353481911_o.jpg

also I should probably mention that there is a VERY good chance that this project will be becoming open source soon do to the fact that currently I barely put in 3 hours of work in a month on the B-29 and at this rate it will never be finished.

• Upvote 2

So I decided make the project open source.
You can find source at the bottom of this post.

Here are some fun facts about the project

The final polygon count was 1,255,570

There are over 100 different materials used on the B29

Here is the legal stuff

Due to copyright regions textures used for renders are not in the source

you can find them HERE

88x31.png
This work by Flying_pig is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

B29.zip

Edited by Flying_pig
  • Upvote 1

Hello mj12345

Having a look at your .blend, all I can say is wow ! what an ambitious project ! You want to model all the interior and that is a nice idea !

But do you plan to make that B-29 fly in X-Plane one day ? Because, with more than a million vertices unfinished, how will it looks and be handled in-game when finished ? I'm myself for the details and totally understand a highly detailed model may require up to 800 000 verts, but so you have to put them when needed I think.

Seeing a tire of 90 000 polygons, while it can be as detailed ( no visual differences with 10 000 )... put them where it's needed I think.

And first, start from great detailed high res and accurate blue prints, because I doubt the vertical stab assembly belong to a B-29 ...

Good luck mate , you seem to have much much motivation and that is the most important ;-)

Seeing a tire of 90 000 polygons, while it can be as detailed ( no visual differences with 10 000 )... put them where it's needed I think.

I agree with that but when i modeled it i did not know how to change the amount of vertices on a cylinder and also the engines also used to be like that but when i remodeled them and gave them more detail i also reduced the poly count by about 40,000

And first, start from great detailed high res and accurate blue prints, because I doubt the vertical stab assembly belong to a B-29 ...

Take a look at page 2 of this thread

But do you plan to make that B-29 fly in X-Plane one day ? Because, with more than a million vertices unfinished, how will it looks and be handled in-game when finished ? I'm myself for the details and totally understand a highly detailed model may require up to 800 000 verts, but so you have to put them when needed I think.

actually compared to the reference photos i was using this thing is pretty undetailed. they can be found on page 5 of the thread i think.

Hello mj12345

Having a look at your .blend, all I can say is wow ! what an ambitious project ! You want to model all the interior and that is a nice idea !

thx but do to it going open source chances are i will not be doing much work on it anymore.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So today I did a few minor and 1 major change first I changed the .HDR I use for the sky for a more mid-afternoon one and also increased the sky emmision value by 2.1 I also changed the gloss affect on the B29 fuselage (Material.035) to a more white instead of the grey I also moved around some of the static aircraft for my signature and FINALLY added props to the engines!!! :D   oh and the major change was moving the camera
B29_new.jpg

EDIT: still am wondering how I hit D instead of T when typing to  :wacko:

Edited by Flying_pig
  • Upvote 3

• 2 months later...

Slight update, though I am not working on this often I do plan to be working on this again soon (as I am slowly getting back into X-plane) 
the FM for this plane will be based on the following manuals and guides
B-29A SAC http://www.alternatewars.com/SAC/B-29A_Superfortress_SAC_-_19_April_1950.pdf
R-3350-26WD AECS http://www.alternatewars.com/SAC/R-3350-26WC,_-26WD_AECS_-_August_1968.pdf
B-29A Manual commander Training manual http://www.scribd.com/doc/49485890/1945-AAF-Manual-No-50-9-The-B-29-Airplane-Commander-Training-Manual-for-the-Superfortress
Pilot
http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/en/aircraft/usa/boeing/b-29superfortress/an-01-20ej-1-pilots-flight-operating-instructions-for-army-model-b-29.html
Engineer
http://www.avialogs....ndbookb-29.html
Combat crew
http://www.scribd.com/doc/37160919/B-29-Combat-Crew-Manual-December-1944

as well as the following videos

Now it should be noted that this is my first time making a FM with plane maker that will try to be completely accurate (I have designed a few planes in there before so I know how to use it) so this could take a while.

that said any tips on how to make a good fm faster are appreciated.

EDIT: bad link for the pilot manual, fixed

Edited by Flying_pig
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

...and putting this on hold, AGAIN...

Thanks to the release of the War Thunder CDK I am now working on getting cockpits made for the planes in the game (currently the A-20G) Because of this I wont have time to work on the B-29. Good news is if you guys want I can give you the .blend files for some of the planes (since at least 1 will be getting a new exterior model as well) so we can have these planes in X-plane as well.

• 3 months later...