Boeing b-29 superfortress

Flying_pig

hey, i have recently started making a b-29 super fortress for x-plane 10 i am currently work on the exterior 3-d model and am planning to make a fully functional 3-d cockpit however, the model for the plane is currently stuck in blender 2.56 which has a broken export script for x-plane and i was wondering if anybody knew a good way to convert it back to blender 2.49. anyways here are some screenshots inside of blender169258_176486265830017_1389063579_o.jpg20681_177388709073106_739442815_n.jpg

EDIT: Please note that these were from the first day of development and I have literally deleted and rebuilt every part you can see in this picture to a higher quality standard. However, I will keep these photos here for the sake of comedy.

Edited by mj12345
  • Upvote 2

If you haven't done any animations, you can just open it in 2.49

This is not correct....or at least not a good way to do it as the trip from 2.6 to 2.49 looses all sorts of data blocks.   Instead export out of 2.6+ in the "Wavefront (OBJ)" format...then that will import very well into 2.49; however, as airfighter pointed out,  once you start creating animations, then this is no good as the animations will not make it through the migration from 2.6 > wavefront > 2.49.  The geometry comes through great and any UV mapping done generally does too.

Tom K

Laminar / IXEG

Edited by tkyler

Looking good.  It's nice to see someone come in and take on these large projects, and hopefully in the relatively near future we'll all be buzzing around in a highly detailed B-29, then later on, your other projects.

Hopefully you don't mind a touch of constructive criticism...  It could just be the angel of the picture, but the vertical stabilizer and rudder look a bit too small, and the shape looks a bit off at the moment.  I'm sure by the time the project is finished though, that those sort of details will be ironed out.  Also, the horizontal stabilizer and elevator are definitely not a B-29's in there current form.  The B-29 shared a similar horizontal stab/elevator shape to the B-17, that is, the leading edge of the stabilizer was swept back gently, to the curved edges, then the trailing edge of the stabilizer and elevator ran back to the tail end of the plane curved in a similar fashion, almost making the entire surface look like an elliptical wing.

Good luck on this project, and your future endeavours.

Ya, I guess I forgot to curve the vertical stabilizer and if you can't decide if it's the angel of the shot again just look to the right of the larger picture there I usually Include the top front and side view angles over there to try to rule out that sort of problem and as far as the rudder and vertical stabilizer being to small i think it's actually the fuselage being to short so I'll have to make it a bit longer and then I can make them the correct size