Beech Duchess rolling

eomer

Hi Goran

I am also a little disappointed with the flight model since the recent update.

Seems you have simulated more roll inertia, so that when you centre the flight controls when banking, the aircraft continues to roll. The reaction is to apply opposite aileron and the I end up rolling back and forth until finally getting it right and flying straight again or banking at the correct rate. Also the lighting in the cockpit seems to be the same as it was before, I thought with HDR on, the dome lighting would light the whole cockpit, but you still can't see the switchs at the bottom of the panel when it's dark?

Don't get me wrong Goran, excellent support as always for your brilliant products, just interested to see if this is all correct or if I am missing something.

Regards

Simon

I tried it and it does seem to hold it's bank for quite a long time. I'll work on the flight model tonight and see what I can do about this roll inertia.

This current update was strictly a flight model update to make sure gauges, external lighting (Strobes, nav lights), and a few other bits and pieces were brought up to XP10 level.

I didn't change the roll inertia from the XP9 version, so it's a bit of a mystery to what is going on.

After trying everything I can to fix this roll issue, and consulting with Cameron, it looks like it may be an X-Plane issue.

I tested out 9 other aircraft. 5 default and 4 payware, 1 airliner and 8 GA's, and all have the exact same behaviour.

So, time for me to file a bug report.

I don't have the Duchess, although I was tempted to pick it up during the sale (I did get the DC-3, though!). The thing that bothers me most about the XP development model is that the platform is a moving target which may or may not break the payware I've spent good money on.

I don't have a problem with XP9 payware not functioning properly/fully/at all in XP10. In my mind, that's the same situation as the shift from FS9 to FSX. A lot of FS9 payware simply didn't work without a bunch of monkeying around in FSX. Same deal with XP9 and XP10 at this point, so it's not unprecedented, or unexpected. Developers who provide free XP10 updates for XP9 customers are going well above and beyond, in my opinion.

What is a problem is that a payware model that works in XP10.xx[whatever] may suddenly break in magnificent, entertaining ways with the next update (even with beta updates off). See the various threads on the CRJ200 for an example. I simply don't have time to build a new matrix of base install+patches+updates+configuration changes+plugin troubleshooting every time an update for XP10 comes out.

All of that being said, the fact that you, Goran, took the time to investigate this roll problem not only with your model, but with default and other payware models speaks volumes about your commitment to the XP ecosystem and your customers. I think maybe I'll go back and pick up the Duchess today.

(Please forgive the OT portions of this post)

I see that I'll have to settle for a plane that partially works. I at least I have that problem with other aircraft of payment, free or having the simulator itself.

The first video shows without doubt that the problem exists, and that problem, again, other aircraft do not.

I was unable to duplicate the rolling with "hands off".

The Duchess has counter rotating props, which balance the torque out on each engine, thereby eliminating any torque roll.

As far as I am aware, there have not been any other people having this type of behavior.

However, I'll try and help you in here.

First off, could you please post a screenshot of your joystick calibration page, and we'll start from there.

Sorry, I do not know what happens to x-plane but SHIFT + SPACE command produces no screenshots with joystick configuration.

I leave in place the video and the contents of "X-Plane Calibration.prf"

It's all I can do.

Content "X-Plane Calibration.prf"

I

10 version

_PFC_axis_min0 64.000000

_PFC_axis_min1 64.000000

_PFC_axis_min2 64.000000

_PFC_axis_min3 64.000000

_PFC_axis_min4 64.000000

_PFC_axis_min5 64.000000

_PFC_axis_min6 64.000000

_PFC_axis_min7 64.000000

_PFC_axis_min8 64.000000

_PFC_axis_min9 64.000000

_PFC_axis_min10 64.000000

_PFC_axis_min11 64.000000

_PFC_axis_min12 64.000000

_PFC_axis_min13 64.000000

_PFC_axis_min14 64.000000

_PFC_axis_min15 64.000000

_PFC_axis_cen0 64.000000

_PFC_axis_cen1 64.000000

_PFC_axis_cen2 64.000000

_PFC_axis_cen3 64.000000

_PFC_axis_cen4 64.000000

_PFC_axis_cen5 64.000000

_PFC_axis_cen6 64.000000

_PFC_axis_cen7 64.000000

_PFC_axis_cen8 64.000000

_PFC_axis_cen9 64.000000

_PFC_axis_cen10 64.000000

_PFC_axis_cen11 64.000000

_PFC_axis_cen12 64.000000

_PFC_axis_cen13 64.000000

_PFC_axis_cen14 64.000000

_PFC_axis_cen15 64.000000

_PFC_axis_max0 64.000000

_PFC_axis_max1 64.000000

_PFC_axis_max2 64.000000

_PFC_axis_max3 64.000000

_PFC_axis_max4 64.000000

_PFC_axis_max5 64.000000

_PFC_axis_max6 64.000000

_PFC_axis_max7 64.000000

_PFC_axis_max8 64.000000

_PFC_axis_max9 64.000000

_PFC_axis_max10 64.000000

_PFC_axis_max11 64.000000

_PFC_axis_max12 64.000000

_PFC_axis_max13 64.000000

_PFC_axis_max14 64.000000

_PFC_axis_max15 64.000000

Edit:

I could finally make screenshots with joystick configuration

Axis.jpg

Nullzone.jpg

Edited by eomer

honestly i use rarely the AP ,specially with GA, but I wanted to try for this...effectively this problem exist, the acf isn't stable ... starts to roll left and right when the AP is on, like the first video.

i've try to set CAVOK weather, the roll effect don't stop.

X-plane10.11 and 10.20 is the same :lol:

Edited by Stardust

Sorry, I do not know what happens to x-plane but SHIFT + SPACE command produces no screenshots with joystick configuration.

I leave in place the video and the contents of "X-Plane Calibration.prf"

It's all I can do.

I tried duplicating this every which way to Sunday, and for the life of me, I cannot duplicate this roll. The only thing I can suggest is to possibly re-calibrate your hardware. I'll bring this up with Cameron when I see him and see what he makes of it.

Please check the short video I made. That is flying with hands completely off the controls.

LES_Duchess_1.mov

But it is that I do not understand it, indeed that I do not understand it. No other plane gives me problems. I could not be the joystick. In addition I use Flight Simulator X, Cliffs Of Dover, IL2-1946, A10-DCS, with none of them I have problems in joystick. Cannot it be another thing?

Thank you for your interest Goran.

Hi Goran

As I normally fly hands-on without the AP, and my previous comments were regarding the continued rolling after centering the flight controls(roll inertia), I thought I would give it a go with the AP on to see if I was seeing the same as other users.

I can report that I am seeing this same banking from side-to-side with it held on the heading bug. The roll is from each white mark on the artificial horizon, left and right of the centre mark.

I hope this helps and you can get to the bottom of this.

Regards

Simon

I just took the Duchess up for a flight around the Gallatin Valley and did not experience any problems with the AP.  I just flew with my mouse rather than hooking up my MacBook Pro to all my Saitek gear.  I took off and climbed a couple thousand feet then engaged the AP.  I turned the heading bug to make a few slow turns, both left and right.  Everything functioned normally.  I'm flying V9.7 on my 4 yr old MacBook Pro with Mountain Lion.

Edited by steven winslow