Freeware 787-8 project

Michael_Chang

Since the 787 is going to be released as a one paint per plane style thing, yes, we will only make real liveries as they are unveiled (because we need to take into account the location of window plugs, new cabin configs etc... when we release each airline's 787. We'll also release a blank jet for the -8 and the -9, though we'd encourage painters NOT to paint planes that have been unveiled, because chances we're already working on it

ok excellent, so basically only liveries that are currently flying right now, correct?

That normal mapping looks fantastic, but I have to point something out... and I hate to do this because it's not a criticism of the artwork itself. The 787 uses a semi-monococque composite construction for the fuselage, including the nose. The real plane doesn't have near as many fasteners as your model shows, which is part of the weight saving scheme of the design. Again, the artwork itself is beautiful, but the representation isn't entirely realistic.

Fantastic work Michael. These last few posts here have forced me to come out of "hiding". Over the last little while my opinion of your work has changed radically. I want to apologize for some nasty things I may have said in the past. 

I'm sure it goes without saying, but the advanced mapping will be applied to the wings and engines down the road, correct?

Fantastic work Michael. These last few posts here have forced me to come out of "hiding". Over the last little while my opinion of your work has changed radically. I want to apologize for some nasty things I may have said in the past. 

I'm sure it goes without saying, but the advanced mapping will be applied to the wings and engines down the road, correct?

yup :)

The rivet locations are based on the "naked" design of the plane, no fasteners are out of place here.

Well, this is embarrassing. Would you believe I work for Boeing? :D Though not on the 787 directly, so I don't get to see them in progress. I guess I was basing my observations on the fact that fasteners don't dimple into composite material like they do in aluminum when countersunk, making for a smoother aerodynamic surface once paint/clear coat is applied.

Carry on. smiley_embarrassed_n.gif

Well, this is embarrassing. Would you believe I work for Boeing? :D Though not on the 787 directly, so I don't get to see them in progress. I guess I was basing my observations on the fact that fasteners don't dimple into composite material like they do in aluminum when countersunk, making for a smoother aerodynamic surface once paint/clear coat is applied.

Carry on. smiley_embarrassed_n.gif

there's dimples, but yeah, they're not as obvious as my own. When the paint gets applied, it goes into the dimples so they're still a little visible, then I modified it to simulate several hundred cycles in the air, once the carbon has been stretched and pocked a bit

Two more paints from Matt! This makes 3 paints this week! WOW!

fVQ7Rzf.pngPGnlrdS.pngqRtSivr.pngQIZ8PRN.png

AMAZING!!! Is there any progress on the interior of that United 787 or the AC 787? I just was on one for united and wanted to compare, though I'm sure it is nearly right on if not perfect! Next thing you know you will have a way to be able to "dim" the windows as on the real plane  ;) Keep up the crazy awesome work! I can't wait to fly this baby...granted she's really not a baby...just...never mind

Edited by Chuck2

Great Air Canada paint scheme Michael! Can you make a version of this Air Canada livery with the registration C-GHPQ as that is the reg. for their first 787?

Can't wait until July, when Air Canada gets their first 787's. :)

AC gets their first 787 in the next few weeks. Enters service on domestic Canadian routes sometime in April. 

Edited by nascar99

Great Air Canada paint scheme Michael! Can you make a version of this Air Canada livery with the registration C-GHPQ as that is the reg. for their first 787?

AC gets their first 787 in the next few weeks. Enters service on domestic Canadian routes sometime in April. 

a friend of mine has already finished training on the 787, says he'll be flying it to tel aviv

a friend of mine has already finished training on the 787, says he'll be flying it to tel aviv

Your friend has a great job! I think the service to Tel Aviv starts in July. I heard it will start flying routes like YYZ-LHR, YYZ-YUL, and YYZ-YVR this spring to allow any issues to be ironed out.