My first project 787

Vezirgiannis

I find it always great to tinker with ideas of your own, I just started making real life aircraft and I have been doing X-Plane for four or so years. Everybody loves well made custom aircraft, and with your 3D skills, I'd think you will be a great developer!!! Persue this project since you have started it, and afterwards you'll have the experience to decide what to do next...

Have fun!

a few words, the 787 has a coke-bottle shaped wing faring, so it's kinda like the waist of a woman, the engines of the 787 have a two part exhaust cone, not the one part visible in yours. i'd also not recommend cutting out or placing windows, as each airline has different window configurations (eg, ANA has 8 between the front PAX doors, Ethiopian has 9 and air india has 11 windows) so unless you intend to release each livery as it's own aircraft package, it's not a great idea in terms of accuracy.

you can see what i mean in terms of coke-shaped in the picture

418203_2710504086007_2047164593_n.jpg

Michael_ Chang Thanks for your comments. I'm not finish the design yet, and the windows are not from specific livery, this is my last part. And i design it using blueprint and real images. of course i saved the fusalage many times for windows livery purpose.

Thanks again for your comments are very helpful!

*another note* I don't suggest designing based on drawings, i suggest designing the plane based on images of the real plane, that way, you can get the most accurate shot. After all, Heinz's 787 looks bad because he didn't reference the real plane when he made his 787

So are you making a better one or something? Or do you just like to baselessly complain about people's hard work?

Hello ryancz and thanks. Well you ask me about how can i export the project from 3ds max into x-plane in obj format.

for this purpose i will try one exporter plug in for 3ds max http://www.guruware....bjio/index.html and then using plugin for AC3D software http://scenery.x-plane.com/tools.php

When ill'be on this stage i will give you more informations about it if you like it.

actually kaphias, funny you should mention that

i'm making a 787. it's a 787 100000000 times more accurate than heinz's both internally and externally. it will feature a FbW plugin and will be distributed as a one livery per plane package, each package will feature it's own different set of objects (interior seat design and location etc) a video of the first two WIP models (boeing house/ANA and Ethiopian) was done by Ruyjo1.

Plus, i think it's unanimously agreeable that heinz's 787 isn't exactly the nicest plane out there (it doesn't even look like the 787)

as for the advice, Vezirgiannis, i'd suggest simply painting the windows on, it saves a lot of hassle, plus with painted windows, then it makes it easier for you to change as you please. Another option would be to have the maximum number of windows the plane can have, and then simply format them in a way that makes painting over one of the windows easy (this process is a little harder, but i can explain in detail if you'd like) this is the process i'm using for my 757

Zroman

it's a 787 100000000 times more accurate than heinz's both internally and externally.

This would mean that if Heinz got, for example, his nose landing gear within 100 meters of its correct location (given the plane is only ~60 m long), that your nose gear would be within 0.001 millimeters of its real location, or 1 micron!

*another note* I don't suggest designing based on drawings, i suggest designing the plane based on images of the real plane, that way, you can get the most accurate shot.

You have made this claim from a picture that shows the highly detailed landing gear on a reference drawing that has the outline of the wheels. Somehow I think that photos have been used in the process, but photos are not very accurate. Unless you took the photos yourself and you know the sensor size of your camera and the exact zoom length of the lens, and have accounted for this and lens distortion, and have included several rulers in the shot for scale, photos are not going to be accurate references from which to design the plane. They are useful though to get the shape right and should be used in conduction with drawings.

as for the advice, Vezirgiannis, i'd suggest simply painting the windows on, it saves a lot of hassle, plus with painted windows, then it makes it easier for you to change as you please.

You are complaining about the accuracy of the work of Vezirgannis, and you are advising that the windows are painted on? Painted windows look horrible and are only as accurate as the texture used. Anyhow how do you suggest getting the interior to line up with the painted windows that you suggest moving around?

Why are you complaining when you are making your own 787?

• Upvote 1

"You are complaining about the accuracy of the work of Vezirgannis, and you are advising that the windows are painted on? Painted windows look horrible and are only as accurate as the texture used. Anyhow how do you suggest getting the interior to line up with the painted windows that you suggest moving around?"

I'm not complaining about it, i'm simply showing areas that need improvement. i don't see any point in not correcting if there are problems in the first place. Painted windows work better in this situation, as i explained, because the 787 has hundreds of different window configurations, and cutting the windows would start limiting accuracy to the real plane. in the case of the interior, the only thing you could do is have non-transparent windows and a single interior OR design a multiple planes with multiple transparent window configurations and multiple interiors with windows that line up.

Keiran; have you seen work by Hiroshi Igami? I suggest taking a look at his 767 and 777 models, both were made mostly by photographs rather than blue prints

Edited by Michael_Chang