The Saab 340 Is Alive - Read On!

Cameron

Hello, All!,

It has been a very long time since we've let info out on this product. Time has gone by, and in that time X-Plane 10 has been released, the product was put on a temporary hold, and we carried on with products like the DC-3 that so many of you are enjoying (thanks to all of you for making that product a success!).

Over the course of the last few months the Saab 340 was picked back up and we have been working hard in the background to complete it. The team involved is working very hard to ensure this product a good one, and based on what we have produced so far, I have no doubt this product is going to be a hit!

The length in time may seem disheartening to some, but in reality it is a blessing. As days go forward, so to do our skills and abilities. Quality bars are raised, and as such it forces us to do and make better. The Saab is no exception to this rule, and because of this a lot of 3D modeling and texturing has been entirely re-worked on this aircraft! For this project, time has been a GOOD thing.

Many people are likely curious as to what we have coming down the pipeline in terms of systems functionality, and we are quite confident this will not disappoint! The Saab is aimed to be at the top tier of systems and visual simulation. With this said, we have also upgraded displays to be drawn by our own OpenGL, and additional systems have been added/adjusted according to the manuals we continuously study (as well as the numerous cross-referencing with our lead pilot in this project)!

For the moment, I just want to briefly preview what we have re-worked with the 3D and textures on the Saab 340. More will come your way when it comes to systems programming as well, but for now we just want all of you to know that this project has heavy life in it, and it will without doubt make it to your computers in a timely fashion. We don't think you will be disappointed!

Enjoy!

(HINT: Click on images to see full size!)

throttle_console.jpg

overhead.jpg

• Upvote 2

These images are awesome. The high detail and the dirty on it talks about a very serious project. I like very much that, here in X-aviation, a way of creating airplanes has been stablish: the quality is the basic and is something very, very needed in Xplane world.

I can't wait to sit inside that cockpit. Great, great work!

Beautiful texturing! My OCD goes haywire though seeing the same finger print patterns on separate radios.

The fingerprints were an experiment. This was done months ago and is in the process of being changed.

All the guards on the toggle switches have the exact same texture on them.

1 explanation is...

Theo has OCD. He scratched one of the toggle guards and then HAD to go and scratch the rest with an identical pattern.

or...the other explanation is...

(refer to my reply to "hobofat")

Edited by Goran_M
  • Upvote 1

A clean cockpit can be realistic too!

Between '92 and '99 I got a lot of jumpseat flights on Crossair 340s between EBBR and LFSB. There was visible wear, but they were clean (Switzerland is after all the Land Of The Clean)!

Just like in a real aircraft, I prefer a clean cockpit.

Just to give you an idea on how dirty they can get. This is one of the photos I took on one of my trips out to the airport.

This was AFTER it was cleaned...

I bet if you took those instruments out you could find enough crumbs in there to live for a month on! xD

• 2 weeks later...

Very, very nice detail and very close to the real aircraft.

This is closer to SF340B, the SF340A has dual CTOT switches and no APR function, the CTOT being able to set 108% on the A. Also the A model has a main and standby AC inverter system rather than a choice of 1 or 2. The annunciator for the R STBY PRESS is missing. In all the 340s I remember the Prop sync is positioned to the right of the condition lever friction lock, behind the flap lever, havn't seen the A for about 3 years so cant remember if its different.

The panels look impressive and can't wait to see the rest of the aircraft.

Edited by CT79B

Very, very nice detail and very close to the real aircraft.

This is closer to SF340B, the SF340A has dual CTOT switches and no APR function, the CTOT being able to set 108% on the A. Also the A model has a main and standby AC inverter system rather than a choice of 1 or 2. The annunciator for the R STBY PRESS is missing. In all the 340s I remember the Prop sync is positioned to the right of the condition lever friction lock, behind the flap lever, havn't seen the A for about 3 years so cant remember if its different.

The panels look impressive and can't wait to see the rest of the aircraft.

Hi Dylan (CT79B)

Something I would ask that you (and everyone else) keep in mind, is that these are work in progress screenshots that were taken about 6 months ago of a completely remodelled Main Panel, Centre Console and overhead(Yes, we've been working on it for that long). Theo uses actual photos that I take to help with texturing, and the photos I took were of a Saab 340B at Sydney Airport (hence the APR indication on the CTOT panel). This has since been removed...literally 3 days ago, after I went through the cockpit over the last month.

You are correct about the inverters. However, like I said, the screenshots we posted are work in progress, and a few things will get changed.

R STBY PRESS has since been added. I let Theo do his thing and then, if it needs it, I correct a few things. He also does the same to my meshes.

I'll actually point out that OVRD is also missing to the STBY Fuel Pumps and CONN VALVE with OPEN and CLOSED is also missing from the connection valve on the lower part of the fuel panel. All have been added over the last month.

The CTOT has also been fixed as of a month ago. I saw so many photos of B versions that I simply modelled a single CTOT switch. After consulting with one of the pilots, he explained to me (and sent me the relevant documentation) that the A version indeed has 2 switches and each switch controls the take off torque on each engine. So, as I said, I modelled an extra switch about a month ago and it's just waiting to be textured.

Prop Sync...modelled against diagrams, but I also noticed it in the position you mention in various photos and has since been moved.

I was thinking that you may have been working from B model pictures which is the reason for the comments, there's not a lot of A models around. I understand that its in progress and only offering some help in getting it as close as possible. Will you be releasing a B and WT variation as part of a package or focusing on the A only?

• 2 weeks later...