What would I ask my DC-3 to get next

Hi,

I'm enjoying your plane very much. So it would be nice to have an updated version of the plane to our days. It would be nice to fly the DC-3 as it flies nowadays,like the Buffalo ones.

So, if I could ask for improves in future, I would add a GPS and a ILS localizer or modern flight director. All the necessary to operate the DC-3 today.

800px-Buffalo_Airways_DC3_GPNR_cockpit.jpg

PD: the rope of the image is not necessary :P

Regards,

What's the matter? That thing too hard to navigate without a GPS?

:lol:

To add the Garmin is very easy. We already have one modelled and textured, and we can just throw it in there.

I'll probably add it for the next update. I'll see what I can do about the localizer and flight director.

Having a bolt-on GPS in the cockpit would be a fantastic update to this awesome DC3! Which GPS unit do you have modeled? I have a nice KLN90B of my own almost finished. I dream of hooking it up to the EADT simulated one, but I'm not a programmer so I have no clue how to do it.

KLN90B.jpg

Just the default Garmin.

I also made a KLN90 about a year ago for Dennis over at the org. Not sure if it was freeware or payware. He did something for me so I returned the favor. As far as I know, it was coded in SASL so it won't work with the current version of Gizmo (the DC-3 is coded in Gizmo).

I was just chatting with another user about if there was a way to do really thick smoke in X-plane, which as far as I know can't really be done. But it reminded me that one of the small things I was hoping for in an update for the DC3 was some proper smoke from these big old radials, especially at start-up. As it stands now, nothing, not even a wisp, ever emanates from the exhaust pipes. Strangely if I do hit X to turn on X-planes smoke function, some wisps come out from in front of the engines instead. I know X-plane does a really pathetic job of displaying smoke by default. It looked like cotton balls firing out of the engines before I edited the smoke_puff.png file to have at least a modicum of realism for this.

It's just a small thing, but it would just add to the immersion of flying this old bird. Thanks again!

It could be nice to improve things related to engines; like creating a blue flame of burning or improving the engage process to make it still more realistic (although it is very good).

It would be also nice to improve the glass of the windows in copckit, I would put some dirty on them or try to make them more visible (now it seems to not be glass at all). It also needs to improve cockpit lights in XP10.

Regards,

Edited by Pirx

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

i bought the DC-3 just yesterday and one of the reasons was that it is a plane which YOU fly by yourself. I mean no a computer and stuff. You know, if i want a computer to fly for me this works pretty well with thr CRJ or the upcomming 777, and even faster. ;-)

But of course i agree that a gps as ahown on the screenshot could become handy.

Cheers

Chris

Hi again,

actually a "Turboprop Addon" would be wort another 10 bucks if you ask me... ;-)

Cheers

Chris

Here's the situation with the DC-3 and it's possible mods.

First of all, it has been a phenomenal success. Much, much more than I had thought it would be. And for that, (I'm sure I speak for Cameron, Vance and Theo), we thank you!

I have been approached in emails by people who would like to see some other mods as well, and they have all been noted. Some are a definite possibility...some are just plain scary.

What I will say is this...

Anything is possible, and I'm not saying these mods will be a definite "no" (I've already added a Garmin to it as an experiment) but making it a turboprop is a little lower on the priority list (due to the workload that entails)when taking into consideration the more important updates to it (flight model adjustments and Auto lean/Auto rich) and then there's Build 27.3 of the Saab 340. To convert the DC-3 to a turboprop would need extensive work in the flight model along with new 3D meshes and more texturing. I don't model like many others model. I'm not meaning to sound critical of other developers. It's just a known fact that when making a wing with engines mounted on them, the wing is complete and the engine is just positioned over it, then textured, etc... I actually build the engine and the wing as one piece. The engine nacelle is extruded out of the wing. You can see this if you remove the engine 3D object out of the DC-3 in Planemaker. There will be 2 gaping holes in the wing where the engines are built into it. They're separated from the wing because Theo made them that way for mapping and texturing purposes (Something he HATES to do with complex and organic looking meshes). So to add new engines would require "patching" of the areas of the wings where those holes are, to make sure they blend in with the new engines, which would then require new UV maps and textures. Simply moving vertices inwards (as it appears the turboprop engines are a little thinner than the normal engines) would "stretch" the textures. Then there is the issue of modelling and texturing a brand new panel to allow for engine instruments that display the turboprop engine parameters.

To cut a long story short, I'm not saying no to turboprop engines. but going by our current workload, it probably won't be this year. When you see what we have planned, you won't even be worried about turboprop engines on the DC-3! Starting with the Saab.

Speaking of which, the Saab will easily satisfy the "turboproppers". Judging by what has been put into it so far, I'm definitely considering putting out the manuals before the actual aircraft. They will need to be studied! To give you a small idea, if you don't study them, and just decide to start it and max out the throttle and takeoff, it's a safe bet you won't be flying long. Actually, it's possible you may not even leave the runway without blowing at least one, if not both engines. And that's just the tip of the iceberg (Cameron has already mentioned the glass displays are being coded with OpenGL for true, ultra hi resolution displays). I don't want to give away too much. All the details of what is being included will come out very soon.

Hi Goran,

of course we do not ecpect you to fulfill all our wishes! It is more then enough that you even take our suggestions into your plannings. And of course, talking about the DC-3, bugfixing and implementing features which are there in real life (in YOUR Version of the plane) is more important then adding new stuff like GPS, Lnav or turboprops. However i see some potencial there. This would be DLC for the DLC which is what these planes actually are. For example i could imagine 10 bucks for a turboprop addon, if you already have the DC-3. Then there could be the original DC-3 for 30 and a bundle where you buy both versions for 35. I work in software business myself and the customers pay hundrets of euros per month to get support and regular updates. No one can expect that he pays you 30 euros and you work for him for the rest of his life. As i said, buxfixes and missing features are ok for free, but i see no problem in selling additional addons for the plane for an exeptable price.

I started just a few weeks ago checking out this free and payware economy, orbiting around X-Plane. And i have to say it is amazing what you guys do there. And the way you interact with your customers is just outstanding. This is a whole different world compared to trying to ask for support for regular full price games out there. Thumbs up for this!

Cheers

Chris

Hi Goran,

of course we do not ecpect you to fulfill all our wishes! It is more then enough that you even take our suggestions into your plannings. And of course, talking about the DC-3, bugfixing and implementing features which are there in real life (in YOUR Version of the plane) is more important then adding new stuff like GPS, Lnav or turboprops. However i see some potencial there. This would be DLC for the DLC which is what these planes actually are. For example i could imagine 10 bucks for a turboprop addon, if you already have the DC-3. Then there could be the original DC-3 for 30 and a bundle where you buy both versions for 35. I work in software business myself and the customers pay hundrets of euros per month to get support and regular updates. No one can expect that he pays you 30 euros and you work for him for the rest of his life. As i said, buxfixes and missing features are ok for free, but i see no problem in selling additional addons for the plane for an exeptable price.

I should hire you for my marketing and PR!

;)

I started just a few weeks ago checking out this free and payware economy, orbiting around X-Plane. And i have to say it is amazing what you guys do there. And the way you interact with your customers is just outstanding. This is a whole different world compared to trying to ask for support for regular full price games out there. Thumbs up for this!

Cheers

Chris

Thank you for that!

I truly enjoy personal interaction with people.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to see a modern cockpit at some point down the line in the DC-3, something akin to a Buffalo Airways setup would be nice, but what ever kind of setup is modelled will be great I'm sure.

As for turboprop DC-3's, there's at least two different types out there these days. There are some that are equipped with PT-6's, and the other is known as the Basler BT-67. Just sayin' LOL... ;)

I'd like to see a modern cockpit at some point down the line in the DC-3, something akin to a Buffalo Airways setup would be nice, but what ever kind of setup is modelled will be great I'm sure.

As for turboprop DC-3's, there's at least two different types out there these days. There are some that are equipped with PT-6's, and the other is known as the Basler BT-67. Just sayin' LOL... ;)

Interesting. With the exception of the panel, I finished modelling an aircraft with PT-6 engines a little while ago. It was a "fun" modelling project I started some time in March that I worked on 2 or 3 days a week to relieve me of the DC-3 that, by that time, was heavily saturated into my head.

BUT...I don't want to get too ahead of everything. Saab...DC-3 update...Duchess update (yeah, yeah, I'm working on it) and the Citation.

Take your time. I think the majority of people will have gone back to work now after the Labour Day weekend, and with school back on most of the kids around here will also have less forum bitching time haha.

I really don't know much about the turbine DC-3's, other than they have a higher payload and cruising speed than the classic DC-3. Although, lets face it, the DC-3 was meant to be a smoking, ear drum splitting, piston pounder. Any imitations will not be tolerated. :D

I should hire you for my marketing and PR!

;)

Thanks for the Flowers but i´m truely no expert. I was just noticing that, if there is a new bug even due to changes in X-Plane itself, the pressure from your customers can get pretty high. And from my own experience i know that if you have already high pressure in the bugfixing departement, it is very hard to concentrate on really new features like new engines.

On the org i saw a discussion about additional liveries for the (upcoming) 777. Someone stated that there would be some included and you could buy more for say one dollar each. More then one othe people had the opinion that this was a "ripoff". I thought about that and i don´t think so. I really think this should and will be the next step in the Flightsim World. Payware addons for payware addons. I see absolute no logic behind paying once and getting NEW stuff (not talking about bugfixes here!) till the end of days.

I´m not involved in this business so i don´t know if your business roadmap already goes that way but maybe it would be a good idea to start a poll here about whether or not people would pay some more money for quality upgrades for their payware planes?!

Cheers

Chris

Interesting. With the exception of the panel, I finished modelling an aircraft with PT-6 engines a little while ago. It was a "fun" modelling project I started some time in March that I worked on 2 or 3 days a week to relieve me of the DC-3 that, by that time, was heavily saturated into my head.

BUT...I don't want to get too ahead of everything. Saab...DC-3 update...Duchess update (yeah, yeah, I'm working on it) and the Citation.

:) I Can Only Hope :)

post-7639-0-29090600-1346884308_thumb.jp

I don't care much about a GPS, but I too would like VOR/ILS/DME, for a "postwar" flight experience. The current autopilot has it's charm, I suppose, but I wouldn't mind a modern flight director either. What I like about X-Plane is figuring out real-world navigational puzzles in rotten weather!

Love the DC-3!

:) I Can Only Hope :)

More on the PT-6 project later. ;)

I don't care much about a GPS, but I too would like VOR/ILS/DME, for a "postwar" flight experience. The current autopilot has it's charm, I suppose, but I wouldn't mind a modern flight director either. What I like about X-Plane is figuring out real-world navigational puzzles in rotten weather!

The DC-3 does have DME. Directly above the standard six. Pilots side is for NAV 1 and Co Pilot side is for NAV 2

Love the DC-3!

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it!

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...