fuel switches in the dc-3

Very hard to switch amongst tanks, i imagine it depends on POV somewhat but way too difficult. What usually happens is the switch goes to "off" and the engine dies ! Also difficult to see what is going on with cowl flaps, there does not seem to be much indication of open/closed status. Also with regard to cowl flaps, beside open and closed, the old radials had a "trail" position which just let the cowl flaps trail in the wind and assume whatever opening the speed of the aircraft would indicate, I've never seen this on an x-plane model yet...

I guess while I am ranting I should mention the yoke, more specifically the ability to turn it off and on for better viewing of the instruments. I realize realism is a priority here but in real life its easy to see the gauges !

Its possible that someone else has had these questions asked and answered but only pinned items in this support forum - how come ?

Great plane, fun to fly, looks beautiful, a real nice job, thanks...

Terry

Very hard to switch amongst tanks, i imagine it depends on POV somewhat but way too difficult. What usually happens is the switch goes to "off" and the engine dies !

Correct. It depends on the POV.

Also difficult to see what is going on with cowl flaps, there does not seem to be much indication of open/closed status. Also with regard to cowl flaps, beside open and closed, the old radials had a "trail" position which just let the cowl flaps trail in the wind and assume whatever opening the speed of the aircraft would indicate, I've never seen this on an x-plane model yet...

The trail position is something I have not come across in the documentation I have. It most certainly may very well be in some old radial engines, but even if we did try to make it, going by what is available on the development side of things, it would mean quite a large amount of programming to make it work correctly because its movements and effects would be dependent on weather, temperature, air pressure, speed of the aircraft, altitude of the aircraft and all of that would affect many engine variables. So whereas it would be good to see, the amount of work needed to make it work properly, (if we COULD make it work properly within the sim) would be quite significant.

I guess while I am ranting I should mention the yoke, more specifically the ability to turn it off and on for better viewing of the instruments. I realize realism is a priority here but in real life its easy to see the gauges !

We were going to make a clickspot for the yokes to disappear but figured they don't really obstruct much in the way of panel views. It isn't that we couldn't do it. We actually did it in the Duchess. We may add a clickspot in the update.

Its possible that someone else has had these questions asked and answered but only pinned items in this support forum - how come ?

Great plane, fun to fly, looks beautiful, a real nice job, thanks...

Terry

Issues with the DC-3 have actually been very minimal. When it comes to pinned topics, that's all Cameron.

Thanks for your comments!

Goran

thanks for the replies Goran...I will try to find the POV that makes switching fuel tanks easy, my opinion is that it is too difficult as is. I suppose with the autopilot on and tuned up there is time for all that heads down activity, but trying to switch while hand flying the gooney bird is an adventure !

FYI: from the website http://www.douglasdc3.com/sohn/30.htm

The DC-3's cowl flap controls have a detent position placarded TRAIL. This simply means that hydraulic pressure is removed from both sides of the actuating piston and the cowl flaps are free to move to whatever position the airflow drives them, usually this results in being approximately halfway open.

regards

Terry

• 1 year later...

You don't need to adjust your FOV.  The way you move the fuel selector depends on your POV.  If the fuel selector is between you and the co pilot side of the cockpit (so, you are, in effect, up against wall on the left side of the cockpit), you need to drag the fuel selector towards you or away from you.  If the fuel selector is between you and the main panel, you need to drag it left and right.

No matter where I am in the cockpit and which direction I move the mouse nothing happens with the fuel switch.  I tried reinstalling the aircraft but same result.  Trying to start the plane up in this condition, with 3 hours of fuel loaded, I see that the fuel gauges show empty, with batteries on or off, and avionics on or off.  Also the starter switch does not work at all.  So there is definitely something weird going on, since I was able to fly it a couple of times before.  Any ideas?

[EDIT]

I tried a flight starting at the 10-mile approach.  The engines were running just fine although the fuel tanks once again showed as empty.  Fuel pressure was fine, though, and I had full control of the bird.  Still couldn't move the fuel selectors!  I also checked and verified that I had all failures off.  Hope this helps.

[/EDIT]

Edited by WWA2852

No matter where I am in the cockpit and which direction I move the mouse nothing happens with the fuel switch. I tried reinstalling the aircraft but same result. Trying to start the plane up in this condition, with 3 hours of fuel loaded, I see that the fuel gauges show empty, with batteries on or off, and avionics on or off. Also the starter switch does not work at all. So there is definitely something weird going on, since I was able to fly it a couple of times before. Any ideas?

Can you please post your log.txt file?

Very curious.  Your log.txt file has no mention of Gizmo running anywhere, indicating you have either removed the Gizmo folder or somehow installed the DC-3 without Gizmo.  If you removed the Gizmo folder, then your manipulators will not work at all.  No matter what FOV or POV you have.

Replace the Gizmo folder or reinstall the DC-3 and all should be fine.