XP10 City Sceneries

Mike Hotel

Hey guys,

might not be new for you, but this scenery made my yaw drop:

It is just photo-realistic Copenhagen.

After visiting Copenhagen in 3D at http://maps.nokia.com/3D/ a while ago, I thought thats a plausible world I digg for XP10. Now I see it in XP10. Woah.

But I can not imagine buying every city I fly to. Isn't there a legal way to use existing 3D objects for non-commerical XP10 sceneries?

Anyways, could you imagine taking a tour of the city after taking off from YSSY...? Hint, hint...

:D

Edited by Mike Hotel
  • Upvote 1

Anyways, could you imagine taking a tour of the city after taking off from YSSY...? Hint, hint...

Methinks you're reading my mind =)

OSM2XP is your friend.

- CK.

P.S. Have you seen *this* one too? Egads this is also awesome.

- CK.

Edited by chris k

Pardon my ignorance, but is this default hi res scenery??? DEFAULT?

Both videos show mainly OpenStreetMap buildings, which are available for free, as pointed out by chris, via OSM2XP. This tool converts OpenStreetMap data into buildings, which resemble rather good the real form, size and place of the real buildings.

The payware sold under the name "Photo Realistic Copenhagen" (or many other cities), available for example at simmarket, is nothing more than this -- OSM2XP buildings.

Methinks you're reading my mind =)

OSM2XP is your friend.

Yep - caught up reading a little more on auto scenery creation. OSM does not look too good for housing info on Sydney (or Auckland), pretty much empty compared to European cities.

The 3D Nokia maps where sooo amazing, because they actually showed the real thing. The company that did them was bought by Apple Computers - I bet we might see the fruits of their efforts in Fall (iOS 6 map services). But I doubt that this 3D city info will be public like the OSM databases.

I dig that the interesting part of OSM2XP combined with XP10 rendering will boil down to landmarks plus enhanced facades for plausibility reasons. XP10 renderings of the Golden Gate scenery and San Francisco shows the problematic state of scenery plus thin OSM data.

Well, well - much work anyways.

OSM does not look too good for housing info on Sydney (or Auckland), pretty much empty compared to European cities.

The OSM2XP repository does not have data for Australia, but you can still download OSM data for Australia, for example here:

http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/australia-oceania/

Download australia.osm.pbf.

Then use the OSM2XP converter with these data (it will take several hours to process) and put the resulting folder in your custom scenery folder. Sydney (and the rest of Australia) should not be empty anymore.

One thing to remember when using OSM: To avoid OSM buildings interfering with custom airport scenery (this happens sometimes), you sometimes have to edit the airport scenery, for adding an exclusion zone for facades and objects. Open the airport with OverlayEditor, select "exclusions" in the dropdown list on the right side, select exclusion type (at least "facades"), then click the green "+" button in the toolbar and draw a frame where you want to have the exclusion. Then save.