X-Plane 10. Anybody upgrade from conventional HDD to SDD?

s839sd82k

Anybody have experience with both (conventional HDD and SDD) on the same machine? How does moving from conventional hard drive to SDD effect X-Plane 10 loading times?

Thanks.

I tried searching forums for "SDD" but it wasn't allowed.

By the way... What's the difference between this website and the (x-plane.org) website?

Edited by s839sd82k

Pardon me for just calling you S!

I wouldn't bother, I've tried it and barely noticed any improvenents. It's great to put your OS and many other disk intensive apps on though.

Hahaha, good question S. Folks are more mature here, GENERALLY, moderation is definitely less insane. I could go on for longer but that'll spoil the others' fun.

I think I have a good analogy. The Org is like a very large McDonald's, including similar staff training and attitude. Here it reminds me of a small hip cafe here in Melbourne, bloody good coffee and atmosphere to chat with friends over.

• Upvote 3

Being a demo user only, I can't opine on any differences between a standard disk and an SSD with XP10's full edition, but I did try this out on the demo to see what, if anything, would be different.

There was a very slight improvement in loading times, and essentially no change in overall sim performance. I'm not sure if the full version will cause this loading time difference to become more pronounced, but it made only a modest difference which didn't seem entirely worth the space it takes up on the expensive SSD storage.

-Greg

FWIW - I'm using a Hardware RAID-5 for X-Plane. I am not noticing any significant load time changes vs a stand-alone 7200rpm drive.

As well, after a few loads and re-loads of XP10 as I'm doing testing, (where I can clearly see that almost 2 Gigs of Data is now cached in RAM), it still takes quite-a-while to load.

Methinks the loading bottleneck is not in disk I/O.

- CK.