MU-2 progress towards update

tkyler

ADF Approaches are still quite common in the US as well as Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. A great number of these approaches are also GPS aka (ADF/GPS) Approaches, but if you read the fine print you will see that to legally complete the approach you must have a working ADF installed.

The requirement is necessary because a GPS such as the one in X-Plane does not give you enough positional information relative to the station. Using the ADF needle is far more accurate than the small "tape" display the GPS gives you for determining relative bearing to the station as well as computing your leads for turns both inbound as well as outbound the NDB station.

Now you can perform such approaches with the 430 or the 530 Garmin GPS because they have a moving map and full approach over lay.

But you still have to back up the GPS with the ADF on those approaches as well.

I'll add also Larry, that most of the ADF requests were from my European customers as you mention and grand total I've had less than 10 direct requests for the feature.  That is most assuredly a small percentage of the total number of MU2 users so I suspect that you're very right as few people use it in reality...at least statistically speaking.  I do like having it all in there though...certainly not a big deal to add it anymore (after a major workflow overhaul that is)

ADF Approaches are still quite common in the US as well as Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. A great number of these approaches are also GPS aka (ADF/GPS) Approaches, but if you read the fine print you will see that to legally complete the approach you must have a working ADF installed.

The requirement is necessary because a GPS such as the one in X-Plane does not give you enough positional information relative to the station. Using the ADF needle is far more accurate than the small "tape" display the GPS gives you for determining relative bearing to the station as well as computing your leads for turns both inbound as well as outbound the NDB station.

Now you can perform such approaches with the 430 or the 530 Garmin GPS because they have a moving map and full approach over lay.

But you still have to back up the GPS with the ADF on those approaches as well.

Most of the NDB approaches in the US have been redone with RNAV (GPS) approaches. This is in addition to the NDB approach. These can be flown with no ADF or DME. With the addition of WAAS, there are even more changes in regards to alternate airports, etc.

For a dipiction of an NDB, my Garmin 696 "portable" will show the NDB, and all the terrain features associated with it. It's the same graphics look as a Garmin 1000.  But my 696 isn't legal for these approaches.

LA

Just wondering why some want the ADF as much as they do.

Two reasons: First, I fly often in the more remote areas of Canada, South America, and New Zealand where NDB approaches are still used.

Second, I've started flying in "FS Economy" a virtual GA charter pilot game with assignments all over the world. In FSE, you can rent or buy planes in three levels of avionics -- VFR only, VFR plus IFR, and VFR/IFR/GPS. The rental fees are scaled to the avionics suite, so when you're just starting out, there's an incentive to rent the lower level planes to maximize your profit on assignments. And some planes in areas I want to fly, just aren't available with the GPS option. When I have enough virtual dollars to buy my first plane in the game, I'll look for one with a lower-level avionics package to keep the cost down (it can be upgraded later).

When you fly an assignment in the game, the plug-in will fail the GPS in X-Plane if you aren't renting a plane with a GPS installed. So even if your X-Plane model is tricked out with a glass cockpit, you suddenly need to fall back on old-fashioned IFR VORs and NDB's for navigation. So that's a big reason why I like having an ADF in any plane I fly in X-Plane, and I'll go out of my way to add one in Planemaker if it's missing, like on the PC-6 Porter model. It's also a fun way to be forced to polish up the 'ol VOR/NDB nav skills.

FS Economy is dominated by FS9 and FSX users, but there are a few of us X-Plane pilots there. The numbers will probably grow over time, as more users shift over from the MSFS sims.

Most of the NDB approaches in the US have been redone with RNAV (GPS) approaches. This is in addition to the NDB approach. These can be flown with no ADF or DME. With the addition of WAAS, there are even more changes in regards to alternate airports, etc.

For a dipiction of an NDB, my Garmin 696 "portable" will show the NDB, and all the terrain features associated with it. It's the same graphics look as a Garmin 1000.  But my 696 isn't legal for these approaches.

LA

RNAV and NBD Approaches are two different animals, just like VOR/DME and RNAV are two separate approaches.

The reason they still maintain VOR and NDB's and the FAA certifies and publishes these approaches is that GPS is not a required element for IFR navigation and is not yet mandatory. Not everyone has an IFR approved GPS. Just installing a GPS in a plane does not give you the authority to fly IFR with it. It must be installed and approved for IFR navigation and IAP's.

We have a turboprop twin that has a GPS installed and approved for enroute IFR navigation but not for approaches.   

If the approach is a NBD Approach, even if there is also a GPS approach (NBD/GPS) then you still, must have the ADF unit installed and operable to legally execute the approach. You cannot legally commence that type of approach until all elements of the approach, including the NDB station has been tuned and verified as operable. 

But...

Until the X-Plane design team decides to create a workable GPS, even if its something on the line of the MSFS Default GPS or until add on makers can make a GPS for both PC and MAC versions of X-Plane with a level of function close to the real unit (Reality XP Style) there will be a need for ADF's in the sim.

To me the one of the biggest short comings to XP is the default GPS. Heck even the default MSFS GPS blows XP's GPS out of the water.

Reality XP is not supported for Mac users.

That said, I feel that we are fast approaching turning point with X Plane and the quality of add on's across the board.

All you have to do is just look whats offered up here and whats coming in the next six months.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing new to show but I worked on the panel for a bit last night.  I've got about 95% of the panel controls animated in Blender, ready for manipulators.  Since I'm re-writing the plug-in though, that doesn't mean they'll do anything yet....I still have to rewrite the plug-in.    That begins once I have 100% of the controls animated in Blender as well as the remaining 3D instruments.  I figure about 6 man hours to get to that point.  Those 6 man hours will come at the convergence of time, energy and enthusiasm...and those don't converge but about once every 2-3 weeks at the moment hence the time between posts.

After the controls are animated, then the plugin rewrite gets done.  I have no idea how long that will be...perhaps 36-40 man hours?  Then the 1.5 update will go out.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok..another big hurdle taken care of.  I've ported the Falco code into a  "genericized" template that is easily adaptable to other aircraft...in this case the MU2.  That means I can start on the plugin and start wiring up the MU2 with the more fully featured manipulator tech.  I've also tied into the electrical system a bit more accurately and gotten the GTX330 transponder to power correctly.  By that I mean that it operates on a range of voltages.  Fortunately, Austin models battery drain so now the GTX will run until the battery drain reaches the lower limit of the unit...maybe 17 volts?  can't remember; anyhow, in such a scenario, you'd have to keep an eye on your voltammeters to anticipate when certain instruments are going to crater on you. 

Austin is including some new electrical features for plug-in programmers.  With the new features, we should be able to simulate more than just the four electrical buses and we can add in our own loads.  This will allow us do do more accurate electrical systems modeling and really have an accurate simulation.  It's going to be cool!

Is their going to be any work on the exterior? Normal Maps?

For the version 1 run, no.  The next update, V1.5 will include cockpit functionality and more systems modeling and "complete" that product line. 

Then I'll start on Version 2.0, tailored for V10 features with higher resolution everything: normal maps, diffuse maps, mesh, more liveries, higher resolution interior and expanded manual...though It will  probably work in V9 also.  This will be a new version that will be discounted for existing customers.

The GTX330 is about 99.5% done.  I only have to implement and "up-counter" for the down-counter...that is when the down counter reaches zero, it begins counting up.  After that, this GTX will be about 99.9% functionally correct.  That last 0.1 percent would be something that most would not see as it only crops up with abnormal use...like if you're TRYING to find the flaws.  Here's s shot of the count-down screen where you can set the timer to any time between 1 sec and 100 hours.  This is way cool for doing non-precision approaches.  The ultimate would be shooting KTEX RWY 09 in low visibility...miss that one and your in the side of a mountain.

post-4-131369589101_thumb.png

Nothing new to show, but I do like to comment here whenever I work on it.  Last night I finished rigging up all the controls in the cockpit with animations...that is I attached bones to them and set the keyframes and there are a lot...232 to be exact.  

What remains is to assign dataref names to all these bones (because most of them are custom), which is probably a 2 evening (3-4 hours) job and THEN I can start building the plug-in.  Once the plugin code gets going, then that and the LIT texturing will be the only thing to finish before the update.  I do not anticipate a long period of coding.  I'm already past the time I wanted to be releasing it but work on xpV10 comes first.  

So some of the new features over Version 1.1.1   will be more complete interactive controls via manipulators, no surprise there...new textures on the panel to be easier to read, new lighting textures.  All the overhead lighting rheostats will work, the wipers will work (no rain effect ala CRJ/T-34 though), the  ammeter on the overhead will work, of course the ADF will be functioning now, a new GTX330 lifted from the Falco and including the countdown timer.   The fuel panel switches will be functional and hopefully I can squeeze in a new prop governor model.  Austin's doesn't quite fit the bill on the Moo but it is close; however, I want it to be totally real so that when people screw up the shut down procedure (and most do), then they'll have to pay the price come the next startup like real MU2 pilots have to.  A prop governor is new territory for me programmatically and while I'm sure I can do it, if it takes some time to get right, then I'll postpone to some other update.

post-4-131369589847_thumb.png

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Took a little time to get the code base for the updated MU2 in place.  Took about an hour to get the Garmin GTX transponder in and all the radios and ADF going.  So for all you people who wanted the ADF, it won't get any more real than this.  Manipulating a 3 stack knob with clicks isn't real practical and you'll only find this type of functionality in one place at the moment!  (shameless plug).  Here's a movie showing manipulation of the radio and ADF frequencies.  Even with the movie compression, you'll note the numbers are much easier to read....and that on a smalls screen.  There does remain some troubleshooting on the ADF frequencies though.  3.5mb quicktime movie below.

http://www.x-scenery.com/xscontent/adf2.mov