MU-2 progress towards update

tkyler

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The short answer is yes....the MU2 1.5 will be xp10 64bit compatible.

The longer answer...The MU2 1.5 uses the latest version of Gizmo for a lot of its customization.  The latest version of gizmo is 64bit compatible.  There are a few other features in gizmo I am still waiting to be complete before I can release the MU2 yet.  Gizmo relies on several other software packages and the port to 64bit has been a huge endeavor for Ben.   Reliability is very important to all of us and work steadily continues on making sure this all works....and when it does,  we will have a solid foundation to build on for the future.   

Tom K

• Upvote 1

Must be hard work for Ben, trying to code in the full heat of the Australian summer. It's warm enough in Tasmania, and that's practically Antartica compared to the mainland, I understand!

I'm a bit behind the times re 64-bit. Are there two separate versions of all X-Plane plugins now, 32-bit and 64-bit? Or is the future of XP10 to be 64-bit only?

Must be hard work for Ben, trying to code in the full heat of the Australian summer. It's warm enough in Tasmania, and that's practically Antartica compared to the mainland, I understand!

I'm a bit behind the times re 64-bit. Are there two separate versions of all X-Plane plugins now, 32-bit and 64-bit? Or is the future of XP10 to be 64-bit only?

Two different.

Re - full heat of Australian summer, it really depends where he lives .. I think I saw he was in Byron Bay?

I live just across the border, but a wee bit inland and it's been in the 20 -23 deg C here .. I just checked the national bureau of met and looks like Byron have similar .. not exactly sweltering when you consider Blackbutt (up the road a ways) has been registering in the 50's C (so I've been told) :)

BTW aren't you in Oz Dozer?

*** DISREGARD - Just saw Cameron's post above heheh *** Re 64 bit, what I've found (and please don't take this as gospel) is that the the plugins often have two extra folders in their file structure ... 32Bit and 64Bit .. so I'm thinking that it will mostly be transparent to the user. Just my ill informed guess!

Cheers.

Edited by Kris Pryo

• 2 months later...

NEWS UPDATE:

Hello gents.   For the last several months, the MU2 has been pretty much ready to roll but has been waiting on some gizmo functionality to be implemented.  The scale of the latest gizmo 13 update has been staggering what with new features and also the transformation to 64-bit....and this is what has resulted in the wait.    We are getting very close to the point where Gizmo 13 has been stabilized and though I know a lot of you don't necessarily know it, the wait will have been worth it for what it means to development for gizmo adoptors.   For us developers, what we are seeing from Ben Russell and gizmo is staggering in its power, speed and flexibility and will allow us to rely on other technology less and centralize all our customization into one location.  Ben R had a vision that he's stayed true to, preached and brought to fruition and it couldn't be more exciting for the future and I have been happy to wait though I know others have not....but nobody said growth was easy.   I believe in the gizmo vision not only for me, but for what it means to the x-plane community in terms of creating higher quality simulation experiences and bringing products to market much faster that in years past.

The tech that the MU2 has been waiting on is currently in development and undergoing testing from what x-aviation says and some initial testing of those features on the MU2 will hopefully transpire within the next seven days.  Upon successful completion of those test, then it will be incumbent upon me to undertake one final programming task on the Garmin 330 with gizmo and then the 1.5 update will be ready.   When?  Of course I won't say, it may be 6-8 more weeks....I have yet to schedule it in, but we are indeed seeing the light at the end of the tunnel...and no it's not a train.

TomK

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

update.   Our tech testing with x-aviation is done and worked flawlessly.  The ball is now officially in my court to clean up a few loose end code issue that the new gizmo brought to light.  It's on me to fix these small issues and then we'll work on the new distribution package with XA.   The vaporware is starting to condense.

TomK

• Upvote 4

update.   Our tech testing with x-aviation is done and worked flawlessly.  The ball is now officially in my court to clean up a few loose end code issue that the new gizmo brought to light.  It's on me to fix these small issues and then we'll work on the new distribution package with XA.   The vaporware is starting to condense.

TomK

condense faster I hope.

My bugs are seemingly worked out now thanks to Gizmos new error console.   I have to put the Moo through a comprehensive series of tests though...and have my beta guy do the same also so that'll eat up some days.    No time frame, but its being worked on again now.  So far it's looking pretty good.

TomK

• Upvote 4