MU-2 progress towards update

tkyler

Thanks for this extra work Tom, I never actually noticed till just now what you had actually been while i was gone as you edited your original reply to me and so I missed quite a lot of what you had been involved with since then. Thanks again and good luck getting those changes you want included in the core sim.

It certainly is about time hardware assignments had a major overhaul in X-Plane, even simple things like being able to assign different functions to press, hold and release button and key events would make a world over difference to cockpit builders like myself, scripting around those limitations by hand is a horrible chore and very much a compromise alot of the time, cheers Tom.

Thanks for this extra work Tom, I never actually noticed till just now what you had actually been while i was gone as you edited your original reply to me and so I missed quite a lot of what you had been involved with since then. Thanks again and good luck getting those changes you want included in the core sim.

It certainly is about time hardware assignments had a major overhaul in X-Plane, even simple things like being able to assign different functions to press, hold and release button and key events would make a world over difference to cockpit builders like myself, scripting around those limitations by hand is a horrible chore and very much a compromise alot of the time, cheers Tom.

Andy did you ever tried xjoymap by JOAN? This let you assign any dataref or command you want no matter if default or custom. Perfect for cockpit building! - Not for GOFLIGHT products!

Regards Tom

Had to take a short getaway with the wife. No choices in those kinds of matters. :P Andy...you have usage of "mixture 3" in the joystick menu to use for the prop/condition levers. You have this one dataref to operate BOTH condition levers simultaneously. If your hardware has multiple prop/condition levers, then I apologize, but there's some hardware out there that only has one prop lever so this is the most flexible setup for those guys too. Keep in mind that this is a "hack" in that usually X-Plane doesn't manipulate datarefs for indicies higher than the number of engines. We just got lucky for now.

OK. I WAS done with the docs but pending this little feature for Andy will write something up real quick and we'll proceed with getting this out.

Tom

Just before it goes out the door could you quickly put in a turbojet-powered version of the MU-2 with glass instruments and a working DVD player in the cabin which plays DVDs from the user's disk drive?

Yup, and a minibar with functional ice cubes machine, many thanks.

E.

Real life strikes again. Have a daughter moving out (have to be a good dad and help), another coming back for spring break (have to drive way far to pick her up)....medical (minor) injuries to my wife, making me the family chauffeur etc....causing a loss of a few days in work. Will resume very shortly.

-Tom

A daughter moving out (have to be a good dad and help), another coming back for spring break, medical (minor) injuries to my wife, making me the family chauffeur

I bet you wish you could do all that in a beloved MU-2... with a fully loaded minibar :) . I sincerely wish you can soon go back to a normal life.

E.

Shhh. If Tom comes in here and says "It's really really nearly here now guys, about 30 minutes more work to do!", you can be sure that all the water pipes in his house will immediately burst and he'll spend the next fortnight sorting everything out.

The universe is conspiring against the v1.5 update, be sure of it. The only way Tom will ever get it out the door is if he uses extreme stealth and secrecy. Ideally even he himself shouldn't know when v1.5 is completed and shipped, but that would be difficult. Tom, I recommend you insulate your brain from the universe while working on the MU-2. Do all your work inside a Faraday cage, or if that's not possible, ground your brainwaves by covering your head with aluminium foil. Then, copy the v1.5 update onto five separate USB sticks, put each stick in a separate envelope addressed to five other X-Aviation staff, and send them to be posted while simultaneously uploading the update from your own computer. Otherwise THEY will know, and conspire to prevent the update being released.

Edited by Dozer
  • Upvote 1

It's Ok guys...I think it's really funny, definitely get a kick out of it all. I'll admit my motivation level on any given day or two varies with whatever falls on my plate on any given day. The best that I can say is that on any given day, without a doubt, is that I'm toiling away on something relevant for x-plane....be it the MU2, scenery, the scenery library, or my "other project". In each case, I have partners that depend on my getting work done and I have responsibilities to them in addition to customers. So here's the weather report. I have one day of work on the MU2...mostly quality checks. If you guys have ever had to do "proofreading", you know that you have to do it several times to be sure...and this is one of those things. I've checked it a dozen times but need to "check it again"....AND write one more paragraph. Now BEFORE I take that day....I have to do my lawn, clean my house, grocery shop, work on that dumb motorcycle some more, move some furniture, travel out of town, work heaviliy on KATL for Laminar, adjust KSEA, make modifications to the Baron, King Air and Phantom ASAP, do some programming for "project X"......so I'm guessing that I'll take that 'DAY' probably Thursday of next week....then travel out of town on Friday to work with X-Aviation on distribution. I am not looking for sympathy here..not making excuses. I'm just the type of guy that likes to know what's going on and figures others do to. I had hoped to finish it up, but turns out the free day I had last week was only one free day and I decided to make that day, "Free from x-plane day".

So I know you guys have been super patient....keep the ribbing coming if they're funny....it's good pressure, it works...I feel it and that's a good thing.

TK

• Upvote 2

My conspiracy theory is that developers like to make these awesome aircraft for themselves and their closest buds to fly around in and show teaser shots to the community and have a good laugh over a few beers while reading all the salivating replies and the longing for the desire to have the chance to drop it into their own beloved aircraft folder...someday.

Work In Progress threads are like a non-nude hand bra strip tease webcam show... You see just enough to know you want it... but you know you'll never get it.

:D

Okay theres some more ribbing lol