Looking for a Graphics Card

GrahamH

I'm planning on getting a new GPU for my system to run x-plane 10. I'm not much of a computer expert, so I'm wondering if you guys have any recommendations on what is the best.

My current specs

AMD Athlon II X3 435 Processor 2.90GHz

ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Running on Windows 7

Edited by GrahamH

• 2 months later...

Good choice they run XP X extreemly well. I've been using the GTX 470 for a year now in combination with the gear in my signature and it's proved to be a fine combination on Windows XP pro 64 bit with the AMD 8 core. I generally have everything pretty well maxed out in Rendering options and neither the 470 nor the computer have ever crashed-bluescreen or otherwise--and I have hammered it a bit.

Good flying & have fun

Edit-sorry Folks that should have read GeForce GTX570 as below

Edited by edwin

Nope, just ordered it from our local store for about $250.00.

Ok well thats not a bad price either I usually deal with NCIX as the Langley store is just across the street from my work and about 5 minutes from home I allways like there weekend deals I picked up a webcam last week for 9.00 dollars and they want 89.00 for it at best buy :) any ways enjoy your new card

• 2 weeks later...

480 installed, running right now. :D

Now, the whole room sounds like a 747 roaring down the runway even when x-plane isn't running.

Regardless of the loudness, i can run x-plane at about twice the speed of my old card.

Edited by GrahamH

• 2 weeks later...

I am also potentially looking for a new card. I have a GTX 560 Ti OC 1GB right now, but would like a 2GB card so i can run it at higher settings. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I have to say, the 680 chomps through X-Plane 10 VERY well! I am overly pleased with this card and its performance at max settings.

I have to say, the 680 chomps through X-Plane 10 VERY well! I am overly pleased with this card and its performance at max settings.

I know the 680 is a beast but it comes with quite a hefty price tag. I was looking at cards such as the 6950 and the 7850, because they are priced reasonable, but i am reluctant to choose AMD after having such a good experience with Nvidia. I am quite happy with my 560, it runs X-plane 10 on very-high but i would like to get maybe a little bit more performance especially since that amazing 777 will be out soon. Tell me cameron, what do you think is the most important factor to consider when buying a GPU for X-plane 10?

Cheers

Edited by falloutgamer65

Tell me cameron, what do you think is the most important factor to consider when buying a GPU for X-plane 10?

For what it's worth, it is my belief that the real hit would be from CPU processing on the systems more-so than the rendering of the 777 object so long as it's modeled well. I do not even know if or how big a FPS hit the systems modeling may end up being either, but Philipp tends to know what he's doing with optimization.

There are a number of factors to consider when purchasing a video card. For starters, what size of a monitor will you be connecting this to?

I have to admit, my upgrade process has been: ATI 5870, Nvidia 580, Nvidia 680. The NV side has kicked the snot out of my ATI experience each and every time. I'm honestly impartial to either brand...just want to have what always works best!

I know that the 680 is expensive, but consider how long it will LAST! That is where your investment comes in.

Anyhow, let's figure out your current specs before we push further in this discussion...

There's a 670 which is only a little bit slower than the 680, but seems to come with a lesser sticker-shock.

Other users are reporting "Great Success!" with the 670 and 680 with X-Plane as well; including 1 macPro user who's using a 680 with Mountain Lion (as it's natively supported now).

Borat-VeryNice.jpg

- CK.

Edited by chris k

Anyhow, let's figure out your current specs before we push further in this discussion...

Well, first I have a single 21" 1920x1080 monitor. My specs are: Asus Crosshair V formula 990FX Motherboard, AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.8Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM, and of course, the GTX 560 Ti OC.

Here are my current rendering settings..

post-5841-0-78489400-1342883831_thumb.pn

I would just like to turn up the texture res along with the FXAA and also maybe increase the number of buildings and roads, as well as being able to run the T7 smoothly

Thanks

I think going from a 560ti to a 7850 or 6950 won't be much of an upgrade. And as Cameron said, it's not unlikely that the T7 and other Airliners need CPU-Power in the first place. I can recommend the GTX670-2GB (Asus), it's way better than the competing 7950 (I tested both) and about 100 bucks cheaper than the GTX680. But of course it`s still a lot of money.

Maybe you should wait for the T7 and 10.10 RC before you make a decision?

Good luck anyway

Flo

I think going from a 560ti to a 7850 or 6950 won't be much of an upgrade. And as Cameron said, it's not unlikely that the T7 and other Airliners need CPU-Power in the first place. I can recommend the GTX670-2GB (Asus), it's way better than the competing 7950 (I tested both) and about 100 bucks cheaper than the GTX680. But of course it`s still a lot of money.

Maybe you should wait for the T7 and 10.10 RC before you make a decision?

Good luck anyway

Flo

Yeah it might be best to wait and see how it runs. Maybe even wait until x-plane goes 64-bit and see how well performance is.