X-Plane 10 exterior view

ktomais

Let me start by saying that I hate (!!!!) most of the exterior cameras in XP10, they seem to cater more to film-making rather than casual flying/admiring your newly bought or favorite bird. That being said, does anyone know of a way to fly using the old fashioned, nice and sweet XP9 exterior camera view? (The problem with the non-dynamic cameras in XP10, is that they sit static at a spot and you don't get any sense of pitch, bank or altitude.)

Edited by ktomais

I think the Shift-6 view is the closest to the old 'a'=chase view.

I actually have remapped this to the [A] key, just like before.

- CK.

Which begs the question, why the heck did they change that?.. sure give us all the nice shift1-to-9/0 views, but keep the old 'a'=chaseview. =)

• 2 years later...

The problem with the non-dynamic cameras in XP10, is that they sit static at a spot and you don't get any sense of pitch, bank or altitude.

Have you tried shift-4?  Although the camera will travel with the aircraft it is not tied to the aircraft per se.  You can see the aircraft turn and bank, or react to turbulence while camera view remains level.   Once open you can rotate around the aircraft and change distance/angles.  If you set that view as in one of the view keys it will always open from the same compass direction and angle as originally set.  I use it that way along with other cockpit and exterior views.

Edited by Tsetsoh

• 3 months later...

-I ALSO PREFER THE OLD X-PLANE 9 CHASE VIEW BEHAVIOUR THAN THE CURRENT ONE ON X-PLANE 10

I have emailed Austin regarding the issue and he is seems stubborn> here is his response

Austin Meyer <austin@x-plane.com>

no.
i like it the way it is.
shift-4 gives a horizon-flat view
CHASE follows the planes

one view follows the plane's angular displacements
one does not

this gives you both options, right now, which is exactly the way i like it!

austin

I'm starting work on X-Camera 1.2. One of my users has also requested a chase view similar to what is available in XP9. I think I'm close with the level camera capability but it might need some more work. If you guys get a chance try X-Camera and tell me what you want to see. There is a growing feature list at www.stickandrudderstudios.com. If I can I'll try to get your requests into the 1.2 run.

By the way, X-Camera works with trackir, linuxtrack, and headshake.

Mark

Edited by markcellis

• 2 years later...