Rise of flight

larjeet

Yes I've been enjoying it a lot for the past 2 years or so. Some observations:

- The flight and engine models are mostly excellent, and they have been getting better if you compare early planes with later creations. The torque generated by rotating engines is modelled very well. The fact that they are all taildraggers requires some good landing skills. Forward slips feel very much like the real thing. The lack of many of those steam gauges that we are used to requires you to look out of the window a lot (well, they don't really have windows do they?).

- The flight environment is modelled very well. Turbulent air feels realistic, clouds are not too bad, light effects are nice. The airstrips are bumpy which makes for some good taxiing; they come with grass as well. There's a mission editor that lets you create your own airfields which is good because the default ones are not densely populated; you might want to add some hangars, vehicles, triple-a's, and villages, to look it more realistic, and to give you more visual clues upon flare. Hint: create a mission with a lead plane so that you are his wingman, and try some formation flying...

- Dogfighting is modelled very well. Having used CFSI and II, only when I started flying rof I realized how difficult it is to shoot down other planes. Also, even if you prefer the pilot's seat you may want to check out the turret gun, it'll make you realize how hard that job was.

- Performance. Frame rates tend to be very good, on my system as good as with x-plane.

After all at times I found it hard to return to x-plane, but rof covers a totally different flying context, seat-of-the-pants flying a hundred years ago. It is at real as it gets, but then I still want to simm in a contemporary flight environment, with navigational aids, instrument approaches, and ATC, so x-plane is just so much closer to what I would normally fly.

sounds great Andy I have tried it a few times now and it seems to be closer to a flight sim than others I have tried sturmovic is not bad but this is a lot less stiff and the scenery and 3d cockpit are fantastic . I also was have tried combat flight sim but did not have much luck with it always seamed to crash The sim that is LOL. I know what you mean about being hard to shoot down the enemy . fighter pilots today have it easy lock on a few miles out and fire .

I tried it awhile ago, yes good flight models and detailed scenery. The era and style of dogfighting just didn't jell with me, so didn't use it use it as much as I thought.

Ha, but I'm just trying Lock on Flaming Cliffs, love it! Lots of fast jets, loving the Ruskies. Today's PCs run it like a dream

Rise of Flight Iron Cross Edition sets itself apart from all other combat flight sims. Simply fun to turn on the auto pilot feature and then go check out

all the other planes you are locked in combat with. Plus you can also go check out the ground battles with tanks and artillery. Have enjoyed it for a

couple years now and with every new update the sim becomes even better.

Has anyone run this on a mac with bootcamp.

I downloaded the demo but it won't extract. It throws a non 7z archive. I did find reports of firefox and avg messing up the download so will try redownloading tonight using ie and with avg turned off.