Fsx Convert likes look of XPX so far, but a few issues bugging me.

Blodhemn

Hi there all

Im new to the world of Xplane, have spent so much on FSX, but XPlane 10 ( or XPX, as I prefer to call it ) looked damn good , so I took the leap.

There is a couple of small things bugging me though, hopefully some people here can help me.

1 - Is there no Collision detection? I have planes going through each other, planes going through my plane, and i can fly straight through trees etc? Is there any way to turn collision detection ON?

2 - AI Aircraft... Whereas FSX had Loads of aircraft following real flight plans, ie, I could fly into heathrow and it was bustling with activity. Xplane seems dead. Am I limited to say 10 planes in my local vicinity? each one flying a random course. Or, is there a way to add in Proper AI Traffic that follow real world flight plans?

3 - The only Aircraft sound seems to come from my Aircraft. All the AI Aircraft are completely silent apart from their voices on ATC, Is there a way to enable sound from these AI planes, as well as other airport sounds etc.

4 - THE ATC, currently seems next to useless, I have not yet managed to complete one flight with ATC. I manage to get airborn, and follow initial orders, but then eventually cannot contact them, and they dont contact me. If I change to a nearby Approach or tower, I still cannot contact them. Also if im airborne and decide to get some guidance from a local tower or a Centre, i cannot contact anyone. I try filing a flight and it says for popup flights to leave the departure blank. I do that and still NOTHING, just the option to file a flight plan. Going round in circles. There is also no option to choose between VFR / IFR.

5 - Any way to change my pilots voice from a female voice?

6 - When I choose AI flies plane, does he/she simply fly a random direction? they certainly do not appear to follow my flight plan.

7 - I had REX, GEX, etc in FSX, Is REX as good for XPX too? as the weather does look good already.

There was something else, but I forgot what that was now, lol.

Sorry if that seems like a lot of questions, this Sim is AWESOME, but could be SO MUCH BETTER.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Hello, Rob,

Welcome to X-Plane as well as X-Pilot! :)

1 - Is there no Collision detection? I have planes going through each other, planes going through my plane, and i can fly straight through trees etc? Is there any way to turn collision detection ON?

There is a setting in one of the menus for this, but off the top of my head the actual setting screen to look at is escaping me. You're looking for a checkbox that says: "Reset On Hard Crash"

2 - AI Aircraft... Whereas FSX had Loads of aircraft following real flight plans, ie, I could fly into heathrow and it was bustling with activity. Xplane seems dead. Am I limited to say 10 planes in my local vicinity? each one flying a random course. Or, is there a way to add in Proper AI Traffic that follow real world flight plans?

The AI and the ATC were both victims to cuts made in the version 10 release. There was meant to be much more, but the deadlines had to be met and what you see right now is what we ended up with for the moment. Laminar is continually evolving this part of the sim.

3 - The only Aircraft sound seems to come from my Aircraft. All the AI Aircraft are completely silent apart from their voices on ATC, Is there a way to enable sound from these AI planes, as well as other airport sounds etc.

Unless something has changed, you should be hearing sound from these aircraft. Perhaps a settings in the sound menu.

4 - THE ATC, currently seems next to useless, I have not yet managed to complete one flight with ATC. I manage to get airborn, and follow initial orders, but then eventually cannot contact them, and they dont contact me. If I change to a nearby Approach or tower, I still cannot contact them. Also if im airborne and decide to get some guidance from a local tower or a Centre, i cannot contact anyone. I try filing a flight and it says for popup flights to leave the departure blank. I do that and still NOTHING, just the option to file a flight plan. Going round in circles. There is also no option to choose between VFR / IFR.

Again, the ATC was the sacrifice and is still evolving. If you think it's bad now (which I know it is), just imagine what it was like in version 9!

5 - Any way to change my pilots voice from a female voice?

I honestly haven't looked into this but if I had to guess it may do something with a sound setting or PlaneMaker.

6 - When I choose AI flies plane, does he/she simply fly a random direction? they certainly do not appear to follow my flight plan.

Yes, they do their own thing. I know that in the future it is further slated to be more of true routing, similar to what you're used to with MSFS.

7 - I had REX, GEX, etc in FSX, Is REX as good for XPX too? as the weather does look good already.

REX is not compatible with X-Plane 10.

Hope some of this helps!

Cheers for the quick reply Cameron

1 - already tried that, all that does is reset the aircraft as soon as it detects you have crashed and plane is wrecked. Can still fly / drive straight through other planes, trees, cars, buildings etc.

2 - look forward to seeing these improvements as at present, FSX is way ahead.

3 - All settings in sound settings are switched ON and the other aircraft are definately silent... wierd

4 - Look forward to seeing it evolve, as at present, FSX with Radar Contact etc, is way better. On a plus note though, I just managed to complete a flight with ATC after downloading patch ( patched to 10.04 beta 4 )

5 - Will take a look at plane maker :)

6 - OK, thats fine.

7 - Its now available for X-Plane, and if its as good as it was on FSX, it will be awesome. http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/xplane.html

Thanks again Cameron

Will keep searching for whatever is causing me the unresolved issues.

Welcome! I know for any building or object, the dev needs to give it a 'hard' attribute to make it disadvantageous to your plane's health. I've heard that too many such attributes can slow the fps, but I built a whole CBD that works fine. But if u fly seriously, you shouldn't encounter those situations very often!

The ATC will repeat the instructions until you "read back" his instructions.

(if you wait a bit, the ATC guy repeats himself).

- CK.

Yes, but all ATC is repeating is that im OFF COURSE. That does not help me in the slightest, as I was flying Direct to EGOS ( RAF Base near where i live ) and was on course according to my GPS, so unless I missed a vector to the ILS, I cannot see why I was off course, but I got to right over the top of the airbase, and still he was saying I was off course, so in the end I got a message saying I had ignored him for too long, and ATC was stopping. And I just tuned mav to the ILS and landed. It would be handy if rather than just repeating im off course, it told me what heading I should be on. He still kept saying climb to 5000 too, even though I was over the base I wanted to land at, lol.

The ATC is brain dead sometimes. =)

Sorry.. let me rephrase - the ATC is "too stringent/literal" sometimes; and likes to tell you every 10 seconds you're off course from the one you filed in the flight plan. It also doesn't like STARs, so if you are flying a proper STAR to your runway, it thinks you're off course vs. the ILS vectoring it's trying to do.

Are you running XP10 10.04 Beta 4? Chris Serio has relaxed the altitude issues as well.

- CK.

The ATC is brain dead sometimes. =)

Sorry.. let me rephrase - the ATC is "too stringent/literal" sometimes; and likes to tell you every 10 seconds you're off course from the one you filed in the flight plan. It also doesn't like STARs, so if you are flying a proper STAR to your runway, it thinks you're off course vs. the ILS vectoring it's trying to do.

Are you running XP10 10.04 Beta 4? Chris Serio has relaxed the altitude issues as well.

- CK.

Well, after contacting X-Plane.com ( and speaking to their support ) No one should be hearing AI aircraft, as it is not implemented ,and is not likely to be added in future either, which I think is a huge shame, as hearing all the traffic around you really adds to the ambiance.

Ahh, well.

I tried to download some additional aircraft and use the Batch updater in the Plane Builder program that came with Xplane 10, but it went through all my aircraft files no problem until it found a plane I added, and an error message popped up, saying it could not update it, and then CTD.

Really looked forward to flying the Viggen, & Chinook. lol.

I guess its too soon to be wanting some of my favourite aircraft. Already missing my Captain Sim C-130 Hercules, that was an amazing aircraft to fly. Really hope Captain Sim come over to X-Plane, and Hope we get FS Passengers for X-Plane too, as that was great also :)

Really getting hooked on X-Plane so far, especially the weather, although a pain when following a flight plan and run into nasty storm, and cannot get ATC permission to vector around or over it, and when I do so without asking, i get the dreaded "Oy, your off course" repeat, repeat, repeat, lol.

Thanks guys, glad I gave X-Plane a chance. Looking forward to coming months and hopefully some great aircraft.

Want List so far

Chinook

Huey

Viggen

Gripen

Hercules

Dash 7

Cessna Caravan

Sunderland Flying Boat ( My Grandfather was a rear Gunner in these during WW2 )

Catalina Flying Boat ( My Grandfather also flew in these during WW2, After the Sunderlands I Guess )

Edited by Blodhemn

Hi Blodhemn,

great you gave it a chance! Its a great sim with a great forum as this group will tell you ;)

Some of the aircraft are available now.....I have the Catalina and its very nice, the Dash 7 might be trickey but there is a payware Dash 8 Q400 that I also bought and its also very nice. Rumours are that PMDG are coming over in some form or another so that should keep a few members happy if it goes ahead.

Anyways, hang in there and Im sure you will be having even more fun when the bugs get ironed out and the new stuff gets added :)

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH