NZWN Wellington Airport Photo Scenery

chris k

Next Project - NZWN Wellington New Zealand

Charlie has done some buildings and objects for this. I'll concentrate solely on doing the underlying orthos. I'll also try to keep this one XP9 friendly (using OpensceneryX stuff and no lighting/facades/buildings).

I have 2 groups of images for this one:

1. General City Ortho at 2.5m

This set covers everything - i.e the entire city is covered, all the way through the bay up to the Hutt valley

2. High-Res Airport-Only ortho at 0.1 meter

Same resolution that NZCH was & I expect simmilar good results once TIF->PNG->DDS compressed

Again, much ike NZCH, only the airport will be done in super-hi-res. (BTW, This Hi-Res Imagery cost me $50 or so just for that little airport section.. the entire city would be out of the question, $$ cost wise, hence the low-cost 2.5m for the rest of the city/valley).

I expect this to be (once again) a free package. I will also post progress over the weeks.

Go team! =)

- CK.

CK CK hes our man! If he cant do it......then I guess we are stuck until either someone else works out how to use WED or Charlie gets onto it again!

This is going to be another outstanding scenery for NZ.....now, about Rangiora, lets talk over here...... :)

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

Hehe - that wont be a problem!

Ok, look *closely*. This is what the current resolution does (2kx2k) and how the runway currently looks:

post-5973-0-25489300-1328333144_thumb.jp

This is why I "hid" the runways in NZCH, because the ortho just wasnt sharp enough..

Notice the difference between the X-Plane generated one (on the left) and the ortho (on the right)

post-5973-0-47508200-1328333137_thumb.jp post-5973-0-39254400-1328333131_thumb.jp

Now, I figured out a method to do 4000x4000 pixel resolution per tile if I want. (Thats FOUR TIMES the ground resolution than the NZCH package). I'm experimenting with doing the runway (only) as a native-res (10cm) image; so you can indeed see the bounce marks. (The original ortho is so good, you can make out ery very tiny details).

Unfortunately this may seriously impact VRAM, since there will be a ton-o-alpha. So.... give me a bit to figure out the best balance here.

P.S. Im going to use this airplane from now on, for all my screenshots:

post-5973-0-53896300-1328333692_thumb.jp

- CK.

Edited by chris k

Hey Chris - nice to see your efforts with the high res textures. Quick question: Are you using MeshTool with custom elevation data and producing a whole new DSF, or are these just overlays on the existing default scenery?

Good luck with the super high-res images.

Edited by 7S5

Hi 7,

Yeah - nothing fancy here, the imagery is just a standard draped .POL

A few reasons:

1. Meshtool/TER files are great when you have a large area you want to cover; and you're replacing huge amounts of default scenery. In this case, My hi-res imagery is all of 200 meters wide or so.

2. I need to make it both XP9 and XP10 compatible - so If I created my own "base level" DSF, Id have to create 2 of them: 1 for XP9 style and 1 for XP10 style w/the roads etc.. or which worked with the differing terrain heights on adjacent tiles. (plus, you have to do the entire 1x1 tile.. way too much work for such a small scenery area.. =)..)

3. I need these .POLs to go above the taxiway/runway draw layers (i.e. LAYER_GROUP runways +1); which you can't do with a base terrain ortho (which is always drawn at LAYER_GROUP terrain "0" so to speak =)...). In order to achieve the effect I want; I need to use a .POL so that it can be drawn at the correct layer.

I had dabbed with using tools like PhotoSceneryX (i.e. to scrape off the top layer, and replace it), but since the area I'm trying to "paint" is maybe 1 sq km; it seems like overkill.

- CK.

You work QUICK Chris!

This is where it could get fun- if Andy or u can get me some local house images, I'd love to build a set of residentials for those very closely situated houses! I can borrow your Orthos and use them to place a big variety of homes there that suit the scenery. Same with any sizeable buildings around the perimeter.

I saw Aussi announce his new, bigger version of opensceneryx, might be worth checking out too.

And if I ever pluck some more spare time from my A$&e, one day I'd kill to do the Auckland (whoops I meant Welly) CBd- animated cable car and trolley buses to boot!

I love those taxiway textures, sweet as, eh...

Let me guess, it's Hilly in that street with the zigzag path??

Edited by Simmo W

Yep . Good stuff Charlie!. Saw that yesterday. I have your scenery as well in it's own project (Custom Scenery/_Wellington/) as I'm working away. I'm calling mine "_NZWN_Airport_Photo_Scenery" BTW, so that X-Plane will load my scenery underneath yours. (due to Alphabetical ordering)

Pls continue on your project and the terminal objects - I'm only doing ortho scenery and re-doing the taxiways (markings, numbers, lettering), and probably just a few misc items (grass edges, fencing etc..) like NZCH. I'm not an object guy =)

Your objects will simply merge on top of the orthos. That;s the beauty of X-Plane's .DSF system - multiple packages add together so people can work independently on different parts of the same scenery. Once I'm completed, you can then import my scenery (orthos) temporarily into your project, in order to line up your buildings within 10cm of their actual positions. Once they're lined up, just remove my orthos from your project, and export your objects as your _Wellington scenery.

Then, when the two packages are both put into the /Custom Scenery/ directory by the end-users, they will then line up perfectly. This way both of us can continue to work on our respective projects without any inter-dependencies, so to speak. (I don't want to slow you down!.)

- CK.

After 4 hours of processing (and re-processing) imagery; I think I got the right balance (Alpha, Contrast, Gamma Correction).

Man this one was much harder to 'get right' than the last one... but here's the results so far:

post-5973-0-41295700-1328437259_thumb.jp post-5973-0-02454000-1328437252_thumb.jp post-5973-0-61111800-1328437242_thumb.jp

God I love it when you get it "just right" and X-Plane blows me away. =)

Ignore the water textures to the north - I havent alpha blended that area yet.

- CK.

Edited by chris k

You work QUICK Chris!

This is where it could get fun- if Andy or u can get me some local house images, I'd love to build a set of residentials for those very closely situated houses! I can borrow your Orthos and use them to place a big variety of homes there that suit the scenery. Same with any sizeable buildings around the perimeter.

I could arrange that... Lemme just get the underlying orthos done up correctly. =) Id love you to toss some house OBJs all over this thing.

I saw Aussi announce his new, bigger version of opensceneryx, might be worth checking out too.

Yep - was going to check that out once I get to the object-dropping step. Egads the photo manipulation seems to have taken much longer than I anticipated. Thought Id be at the object placement step by now. =(

Let me guess, it's Hilly in that street with the zigzag path??

hhehehehah. That's X-Planes "awesome" Digital Terrain Elevation (DEM) modelling... Everything's up on a 45 degree slant in Welly it seems!. Probably makes it hard to cook breakfast in the morning. =)

All is going OK tho. This will probably take a month (just like the last one did).

- CK.

The zig-zag is steep...thats why it isnt straight up! :) The houses might need some adjusting though.....hot sure how you would tackle that one.

I can see about getting some house images.....they are mostly all the same in NZ, some older "state" houses (usually 2 story and various shades of white.....), and more modern brick housing or "weatherboard" housing. Will try and get something tomorrow for you Florian.

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

The zig-zag is steep...thats why it isnt straight up! :) The houses might need some adjusting though.....hot sure how you would tackle that one.

I can see about getting some house images.....they are mostly all the same in NZ, some older "state" houses (usually 2 story and various shades of white.....), and more modern brick housing or "weatherboard" housing. Will try and get something tomorrow for you Florian.

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

Thanks Andy.

This might get confusing - I think Chris replied above, saying he'd be ok if I threw a few houses around. I'm not Florian. Then I see Charlie has been involved too. Chris or Charlie let me know if I'm butting in, I won't if you guys are already working on stuff. Just happy to get some different building practice, if you want it!

If I can help, then cool. Just stalk your local neighbourhood and get some flat images of different sides of buildings/windows. Oh, and a few pics of roofs from your chartered heli? or just from a hill! I'll pm ya Andy

Ta

simon not Forian :) (or is that Simian, as a good friend once called me!)

Thanks Andy.

This might get confusing - I think Chris replied above, saying he'd be ok if I threw a few houses around. I'm not Florian. Then I see Charlie has been involved too. Chris or Charlie let me know if I'm butting in, I won't if you guys are already working on stuff. Just happy to get some different building practice, if you want it!

If I can help, then cool. Just stalk your local neighbourhood and get some flat images of different sides of buildings/windows. Oh, and a few pics of roofs from your chartered heli? or just from a hill! I'll pm ya Andy

Ta

simon not Forian :) (or is that Simian, as a good friend once called me!)

I think I've given up on the houses, way too much work for someone who comes home with piles of homework each day. As of now I've just made the Majestic Center, the State Insurance Building and the HSBC Tower (three tallest buildings in wellington) and I think I may make a few more buildings if I have time. :)

Ok

0.1 Beta - have a look see.

Charlie - I have copied your objects in here just to get the correct alignment. I will not be using them in the final product/release. Please disassemble this DSF and have a look at where Ive re-positioned your objects if you want to back-port them back into your scenery (to ensure correct alignment with the orthos).

Lots of work-in-progress here. Check the README.txt for what is broken.

No longer available - see Beta 0.2 Below

- CK.

Edited by chris k