[Philipp] FMS freezes X-Plane

VictorRomeo

Hi everyone,

can someone please confirm the following is a bug or just my problem:

produce a invalid entry in the FMS (so the bottom line reads "invalid entry"), then press the LSK, which produced this line, again. On my machine this freezes X-Plane and i have to stop it via the task manager.

e.g. in a new flightplan type in your origin and press the LSK to set it. Press the LSK again and the "invalid input" line appears. Press the LSK once more and X-Plane freezes .... at least on my machine. Same in the "direct to" page etc ....

clean X-Plane 10, clean 1.4.2, Win7 64bit, NVidia GTX460

thanks and best regards

e.g. in a new flightplan type in your origin and press the LSK to set it. Press the LSK again and the "invalid input" line appears. Press the LSK once more and X-Plane freezes .... at least on my machine. Same in the "direct to" page etc ....

I'll try this out in a moment, but may I ask what the point of pressing LSK so many times is?

come on guys, are you serious? i paid 50 bucks for your product. I expected a much more mature response!

First of all: I am with MS Flightsim since Version 2. I buy X-Plane since Version 5 to support it, but never seriously used it. With the CRJ its the first time that i am pretty close to change to X-Plane completely. You did a great job.

My intention here was filing a bug report and i hoped for an answer like: thanks, we are gonna fix it. Not: "why are you doing it?".

I think one of the basic lessons you learn in programming is how to deal with user inputs. Have you ever thought about that an "invalid entry" can happen by accident? The phrase "invalid entry" remains in the bottom line. When i am on approach and it gets a little bit hectic, it may cause me to add the next input without clearing the "invalid entry" before, its quite easy to press the LSK twice and "boom" - everything is f...ed up. The same happens with "no active runway" and a blank LSK or, even worse, with "WPT NOT FOUND" in the direct page (yes, happens that you miss e.g. LSK3L to select the WPT and then hit LSK1L twice -> boom, freeze). This is pretty annoying, especially when you are learning procedures in the CRJ.

If your above answers are the way you are dealing with your customers, then please add a section to the manual: Please don't do this or that. It will crash your PC. Thanks.

best regards

• Upvote 1

Perhaps if you had given such a descriptive example the first time around you wouldn't have received such a "huh?" reaction. Your first explanation can easily be assumed as purposeful invalid entry pasting.

If your above answers are the way you are dealing with your customers, then please add a section to the manual: Please don't do this or that. It will crash your PC. Thanks.

The current section of forum you are seeking support in has 5,800+ responses. This comment here holds little merit.

Thank you for the detailed response, sans sarcasm. :)

Wow, I can't believe my filing a bug report would elicit such an asinine response from Japo32. I completely agree with VictorRomeo. I'm not purposely pasting anything. I'm new and I'm learning how to use the FMS. I paid $$$ for this add on and I'm letting you know you have a programming error.

My reaction is due the second user that made the same. It was fun.. because we only need one user to tell us what is happening.. so for me was funny to see how other user wanted to see how the plane crashes....

You know.. this reminds me when I was making "Blade the edge of darkness" (or Blade of darkness, or Severance, depending where country you live).. there was a tester that tried to make the imposible to make the product crash.. and he made that everytime... but he had to make very strange things like "if you put the barbarian in this point 5 meters away of the wall with a certain angle.. and you jump 3 times and in the third time you press the shift key twice then you will crash the game"

Well.. of course the CRJ has crashes... for sure when it depends over a simulator that we didn't programmed.. that is changing.. that is over 3 operating systems.... and of course any programming task produces always bugs...

we try to fix every crash we find.. but from a queue of what are the most important first.. and we have some to fix first than others. Of course this is done by Philipp and if he find it easily he will fix that for sure.. but even pay attention to something even it is easy it can make other things not be fixed.... and what for a user is important maybe is not for another group of users....

Well.. Philipp will take a look sure.. but for now I believe you only have to pay attention while Philipp see the problem, not to fill the function keys with "invalid data". That way you will be appart from this problem.

Edited by Japo32

OK, no harm done. Just to let you know though, I wasn't actually trying to crash anything. I just pressed the function button and the program crashed. I think you experts don't realize that there are many of us who are using this program for the first time. I just pushed a button, that's all. I think what you guys have accomplished is wonderful. The simulator is very complex and realistic and I'm enjoying flying the aircraft. Whenever the program crashes though, there must be a reason for it and I want to report it so you can have a look.

Happy flying.

Okay, I found what you are having trouble with - it's a difference between how Windows and Mac handle an UTF-16 to UTF-8 character conversion. Since I do most of my development and testing on a Mac, this slipped my observations. I will see what I can do.