[SOLVED] Question about CG

dave71

In the CRJ tutorial we are shown how to calculate weight, load index, and %MAC, and then set the pitch trim accordingly for takeoff and landing. It seems kind of meaningless to do that if you can't set the actual CG at the %MAC that you calculate. I have never used Planemaker and I know nothing about how the CG is determined. All I know is that I have a CG slider on the weight and fuel page that I can move left to move the CG forward or right to move it aft. My question is: is there any correlation between the CG slider and the wing chord (or in this case the MAC)? In other words, is the right position on the slider at the leading edge at the MAC and the left most position at the trailing edge, or is it completely unrelated? Or will moving it have unpredictable results and it's better not to touch it?

Edited by dave71

I introduced the mac for learning purposes but in this plane we didn't model the cg change. We would need to draw a passenger system were we could position each person to calculate the cg. But we needed the time to make that in other important stuff, so for now it is only in the tutorial as a learning tool.