left drift... but joysticks are correct?

telemole

Hi again - and sorry for blasting the help forums...

I have tried both my twist joystick and my saitek yoke - after configuring and even giving a tiny deadzone - the controls look perfect in the joystick and equipment screen, then every single time i am flying - there is slight and constant left roll drift that i have to correct - this means trying a helicopter is almost always fatal and even small gen aviation craft are frustrating to keep on course, land etc...

this can't be wind... it's happening all the time... can it?

Is there some way to configure this or null it out? anywhere I can check for something to help solve the issue?

I would post more details but am not sure what's pertinent?

thanks pilots!

Telemole

Hi Jim, thanks very much - I'll google the heck out of that - but as i am not a real pilot (I have the basics down, but some of the physics clearly still elude me) would you know specifically which controls i am using to trim that?

Thanks again and sorry for the newbie questions - appreciate all the help

telemole

On my CH yoke, I use the rocker switch on the top right yoke handle for left and right aileron, and the button on that handle to center the aileron. I use the rocker switch on the left top yoke handle for the elevator trim and the front button to center trim. i find this more precise than assighning an axis for trim. Many times an axis will be a little noisy, and a bit twitchy for trimming. In X-Plane aileron trim is essential, the only planes that I have that do not need aileron trim, or very little is the F33A Bonanza from Carenado, and the Piper Archer III from MortonM, (an excellent freeware plane), even these still need a bit of aileron trim from time to time. Be aware each time you make a power adjustment you will have to retrim both aileron and elevator trim.

• 2 weeks later...

With the Saitek X-52 Throttle module= I use the thumb slider for Up/Down Pitch trim (as it is the most used)--the top large Hat switch left//right for aileron trim (second most used) & the lower small Hat switch for rudder trim (least used) & the button in between for landing gear Tog. All three can be programmed to have a central stop spot which can be allocated deadzone.Thus programmed makes it easy flying although I have noticed these trim controls are often well spread out on most aircraft in reality.

I counteract engine torque on single props where/when necessary, generally take off, using the Joystick twist function as foot pedal function (As the torque effect generally dies away as the throttle is reduced and speed is regulated. In planes that tend to hold on to torque effect [Hurricaines---certain other powerful WW2 single props] I adjust the small Hat switch rudder trim in flight.