Project 3

Goran_M

You can run it but without knowing the Graphics Card specs, it's hard to say.  However, with those specs you posted, it's recommended you have a minimum of 512MB of Video RAM.  If you have 256MB of Video RAM, you could run the Saab but you will probably have to turn down your settings for better performance.

I have pretty much the same setup on Windows 7 with a 1GB graphics card and I'm hitting up to 43fps in the air with settings turned up

• 1 month later...

You can run it but without knowing the Graphics Card specs, it's hard to say.  However, with those specs you posted, it's recommended you have a minimum of 512MB of Video RAM.  If you have 256MB of Video RAM, you could run the Saab but you will probably have to turn down your settings for better performance.

I have pretty much the same setup on Windows 7 with a 1GB graphics card and I'm hitting up to 43fps in the air with settings turned up

With settings up, do you mean anti-aliasing and water reflection? I'm looking at an iMac with 512MB of VRAM.

With settings up, do you mean anti-aliasing and water reflection? I'm looking at an iMac with 512MB of VRAM.

Pixel shaders hit the framerates pretty hard.  if it was up to me, I would get rid of the pixel shaders if the fps were getting hit.  I prefer to have anti aliasing so I can read the displays.

512MB card should be fine. 

We have a few test rigs we're trying it on and everything looks good.

Pixel shaders hit the framerates pretty hard.  if it was up to me, I would get rid of the pixel shaders if the fps were getting hit.  I prefer to have anti aliasing so I can read the displays.

512MB card should be fine.  

We have a few test rigs we're trying it on and everything looks good.

Awesome! It looks like the cheapest iMac will do it pretty well.

I was thinking about replacing my Macbook for an Imac. I have decided against it because while it may run x-plane better than most laptops, it is still inferior to most good PC's you can get for almost the same price.

Do those PC's include a top-notch LED monitor? ...doubtful at best. :)

I was thinking about replacing my Macbook for an Imac. I have decided against it because while it may run x-plane better than most laptops, it is still inferior to most good PC's you can get for almost the same price.

true, true...  ;)

true, true...  ;)

I guarantee that you will be happier with a Mac in the long run. You wallet may not though... ;D

I'm not saying Macs aren't great. As a matter of fact, I think Apple products beat Windows products in so many aspect from design, to displays, to the innovative new technology. Macs are awesome for everything else but vector simulations like X-Plane. Windows simply allows for faster and better graphics. Love Mac, love Windows, even though Apple takes from your wallet noticeably.

I agree with Florian in general.

I've started with the PC's in the '80 but I've switched to the Mac's in the '90. I like them a lot but recently Steve loves his iPad and iPhones more than MacPro's and I didn't like it at all... For the cinematography FCP, Aperture, sound engineering I'm on the Mac entirely, but my big X-Plane system is actually OC to 4.1GHz i7 930 PC not only because of TrackIR support but also similar ATI5870 (on both systems) works better with similar settings on 10.5Mpix PC than on my Mac's (MacPro 2.93 4core) on the 4Mpix X-Plane display actually...  Love Mac's, hate Win but for the big system I prefer separate high perf PC.

regards

arti

I agree with Florian in general.

I've started with the PC's in the '80 but I've switched to the Mac's in the '90. I like them a lot but recently Steve loves his iPad and iPhones more than MacPro's and I didn't like it at all... For the cinematography FCP, Aperture, sound engineering I'm on the Mac entirely, but my big X-Plane system is actually OC to 4.1GHz i7 930 PC not only because of TrackIR support but also similar ATI5870 (on both systems) works better with similar settings on 10.5Mpix PC than on my Mac's (MacPro 2.93 4core) on the 4Mpix X-Plane display actually...  Love Mac's, hate Win but for the big system I prefer separate high perf PC.

regards

arti

Hmmm....interesting. I still don't think I could bring myself to buying a PC when there's an iMac in front of me. ;D

Sure I understand. I'm also hardcore MacPro/MacBookPro/iPad/iPhone power user. I've just needed big 5 vertical monitor TrackIR capable X-Plane system which is of course not available on the Mac platform : / It costs me a lot more than my MacPro but it works like a charm. Yes I'm closing my eyes after powerup (to hide Win7 screens) and opening after the X-Plane launch :)

Sure I understand. I'm also hardcore MacPro/MacBookPro/iPad/iPhone power user. I've just needed big 5 vertical monitor TrackIR capable X-Plane system which is of course not available on the Mac platform : / It costs me a lot more than my MacPro but it works like a charm. Yes I'm closing my eyes after powerup (to hide Win7 screens) and opening after the X-Plane launch :)

Yeah, I found a six core windows machine for $800. Ad a monitor for $300 and you're paying a little more than what the minimum iMac is. If I did that, I could still keep my Mac for other stuff. TrackIR is my big hold up.

I always change my mind. ;D Since X-Plane is the only thing I do besides surf the web (at X-Plane stuff usually), maybe a windows would satisfy my needs for X-Plane. After all, I can't pay thousands of dollars for a Mac Pro. TrackIR would be a huge benefit though...